CONGRATS ZIPS!

Congrats to Momma Zeke, Coach D, and the Zips fan base!

That you guys overcame so many obstacles this year to go to the NCAAs in such dominating fashion is an amazing testament to the willpower and talent Coach Dambrot put together.

This Ram fan will be rooting for you guys to make a deep run in the tournament! Congratulations! ENJOY IT!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dambrot said it last night... Some teams are just winners.

Well, some coaches are winners too. Brilliant defensive game plan and flawless execution tonight. The MAC POY earned one point tonight... 1. He never saw a defender who outsized him by any less than six inches and it rendered him useless. Hats off to Tree, Harney, Zeke, and Walsh who turned in a defensive performance for the ages on DJ.

Betancourt played within himself and gave the team his best 25 minutes of the year. Chauncey rose to the occasion.... His three was the biggest bucket of the night. The twin towers owned the paint on both ends of the floor. No one played poorly, that game defined team effort.

Please bring that defense to the court next week. There's not a team in the country that could beat it.

"Where is Cooper?" * clap clap clap clap clap*

He's in the NIT... This performance belonged to UA.

Well, some coaches are winners too. Brilliant defensive game plan and flawless execution tonight. The MAC POY earned one point tonight... 1. He never saw a defender who outsized him by any less than six inches and it rendered him useless. Hats off to Tree, Harney, Zeke, and Walsh who turned in a defensive performance for the ages on DJ.

Betancourt played within himself and gave the team his best 25 minutes of the year. Chauncey rose to the occasion.... His three was the biggest bucket of the night. The twin towers owned the paint on both ends of the floor. No one played poorly, that game defined team effort.

Please bring that defense to the court next week. There's not a team in the country that could beat it.

They may have blown their chances at an NIT bid with that performance.

I can't even imagine how scary this team would be if Melo was a scorer. But right now just being able to manage the game is enough.

Offense makes the highlight reels but defense will win championships.

:bow: Hats off to this great team. What a championship looking team.

EVERYONE gave it their all. That is what makes a great team. One for all and all for one.

Melo was super. So much to learn in such a short period of time. You did yourself proud.

Of course the bracketology keeps changing but now they have us playing Mich. Over the last two weeks I think they had us playing just about everyone. :D

Hope to be at the Jar at 5 to see the happenings.

GO ZIPS to the big DANCE!!

Never been happier for a coach, a team or a program. To go through what these guys have been through the last 2-3 weeks, and to come out the other side like this is truly something special. I'm so happy for our seniors. Zeke showed a lot of mental toughness the last two nights that, quite frankly, he didn't have a year or two ago. Walsh came back from a couple of sub-par performances and had a nice night. Most of all, Chauncey who has had such a tough season came out tonight and put up quite possibly his best overall game as a Zip.

Let's not stop here. Let's see how far this team really can go. It's time to make a big run in the real dance. What a Cinderella story it would be.

My daughter and I got on the court afterward (with many others) and all the players were great. They were very patient in posing for pictures, signing autographs, etc., while still celebrating with each other. Great group of kids.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum: OU fans. We were in a section that was mostly green, and they started booing Betancourt as soon as he went down. They continued to boo the whole time he was down, then got louder when he got up. Keep it classy OU!

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum: OU fans. We were in a section that was mostly green, and they started booing Betancourt as soon as he went down. They continued to boo the whole time he was down, then got louder when he got up. Keep it classy OU!

You could clearly hear them booing on national TV.

I hate when people make the cliche statement 'fan group x lacks class' but OU fans really test my limits.

My dad was a professional basketball player/coach in the 1920s and 1930s (I guess that dates me) who toured around the midwest and mountain states playing exhibition games against college teams. He got me interested in basketball at a young age, and taught me a lot of the finer details of the game. Unfortunately, I didn't have his skills and never did anything more than play backyard ball with the other kids in the neighborhood. But it turned me into a lifetime fan of basketball, and I've been following it for nearly 60 years now, especially college basketball. I've watched many thousands of games over the years and thought I'd seen it all.

That's a small preface to saying that for the first time in nearly 60 years, I had real tears in my eyes at the end of a game. The tears were for the Zips players and coaching staff who overcame so much to beat the odds and win that NCAA berth they've been working so hard for all season. The obstacles have been well documented on ZipsNation. I went to the game tonight believing that if the Zips played their best game that they could squeak out a win over a team that went to the Sweet 16 last season and returned all their key players.

Instead, I saw the greatest second-half defensive performance I've ever seen in my life. Others have called out the individual players for what they did tonight, and I agree with all of that. But my focus is what these individuals achieved as a team. No one predicted a blow-out, certainly not one by the Zips. How could that possibly happen without your only veteran point guard? Look what OU came so close to doing in last season's NCAA tournament against North Carolina when the Tar Heels' starting PG was out. This was the same OU team, and the Zips destroyed them. They did it as a team, with everyone contributing something.

I said earlier in the season that I love this team. The longer you follow college basketball the more you appreciate how rare it is that a special group of kids can come together under a special group of coaches and accomplish something really special. We Zips basketball fans are so very fortunate to have a really special group of players and coaches who've achieved something that all the experts said was unlikely. I'm so happy for everyone -- the players, the coaches, the fans. Now, don't get me started crying again. :)