F-Treadwell - 6'7", 225

F-Gilliam - 6'5", 230

G-Walsh - 6'5", 200

G-Betancourt - 5'11", 175

G-Harney - 6'7", 210

F-Kretzer - 6'7", 210

F-McAdams - 6'7", 200

C-Forsythe - 6'11", 240

No doubt we have the size advantage, but they excel at pressure defense which will present a huge challenge to Betancourt/Harney/Walsh.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The height of their starting 5 isn't the story. Their pressure defense is the story, and it isn't a good one for Akron. It is tough to take advantage of your size when you are struggling to get the ball up the court. VCU is going to make life miserable Melo and Harney all game. Our best chance is to throw it deep in to our bigs and try to go over the top on them. We're also going to need to crash the boards hard at every opportunity if we want to score against these guys.

The height of their starting 5 isn't the story. Their pressure defense is the story, and it isn't a good one for Akron. It is tough to take advantage of your size when you are struggling to get the ball up the court. VCU is going to make life miserable Melo and Harney all game. Our best chance is to throw it deep in to our bigs and try to go over the top on them. We're also going to need to crash the boards hard at every opportunity if we want to score against these guys.

+1. My thoughts exactly.

Would rather have played Okla. St. or Wisconsin (even though I think UW should have been a #4 seed, with Kansas St. being a 5).

Exactly. They don't let you inbound the ball, let alone get to half court. Akron is already careless with the basketball and turn it over very often. Even against some of the worst MAC teams we had 20+.

VCU lives for the NCAA tournament. They've won 11 tournaments games all-time and 6 in the past two years. Yes, I've always been the voice of negativity around here but I can honestly say we have no chance.

Exactly. They don't let you inbound the ball, let alone get to half court. Akron is already careless with the basketball and turn it over very often. Even against some of the worst MAC teams we had 20+.

VCU lives for the NCAA tournament. They've won 11 tournaments games all-time and 6 in the past two years. Yes, I've always been the voice of negativity around here but I can honestly say we have no chance.

I hope the VCU players are saying the same.

I hope the VCU players are saying the same.

While I agree this is a tough match-up, with VCU's pressure defense I thin the Zips have a chance in this game. I think this Zips team has come so far this season and has faced some major adversity. I think they will find a way to win just as they have all year.

Yes, you are right.

The University should save the bus fare and just concede the game.

By the way, what school, if any, did you attend?

When does the schedule for times and TV networks come out? Whoever finds it, please post it HERE.

Comments: I can't believe we got the '12'! That makes me think that we would have gotten an at-large even if we had lost to Ohio -- IF we had beaten either Can't or Buffalo last week.

Can't believe how bad the Pac-12 got screwed. Their champions, Oregon got the same seed as Akron!

When does the schedule for times and TV networks come out? Whoever finds it, please post it HERE.

Comments: I can't believe we got the '12'! That makes me think that we would have gotten an at-large even if we had lost to Ohio -- IF we had beaten either Can't or Buffalo last week.

Can't believe how bad the Pac-12 got screwed. Their champions, Oregon got the same seed as Akron!

Screwed? Or is it just a bad conference?

Man this is incredible.

God wants VCU and Akron to keep playing I guess.

Without Abreu, you'd think this is a great matchup for VCU, but the Zips will be very game. You guys are talented from top to bottom and are very familiar with our system. You're very capable of winning if Betancourt can play well.

Hate that we have to play you guys again since I was hoping we could both make a big run this year.

I must admit that my heart sunk a bit when I heard the pairing. Partly because I follow and root for both schools, partly because I'd rather take on a power conf rather than another "mid" but most of all because VCU's guards get after the ball like nobody else. We turned it over 20 times with Alex against them last year so who knows how many this year?

Still, there are things that we can do to take some of the pressure off of CB. Last year, we brought some bigs down into the back court to deal with their press and get the ball up the floor. Q was used as the primary guy to do this so one would assume that Nick will be the guy this season. Not so much as CB's backup at the point but at the 3 position. We can also toss it up to Zeke and allow him to outlet away from the bulk of the pressure.

We can win this game, hell, we took them to OT last year with 20 TOs. CB went from being a boy to a man in Cleveland and if he continues to progress we'll be OK.

I just hate that one of us will be gone after one game.