VCU Vs. Akron

lance99

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought of a few more at work today. Maybe this could be a start on next year's marketing campaign (not to get ahead of myself......still LOTS to do THIS year)

Akron Basketball is - Tree-nacious, Tree-silient and Tree-mendous!

Sock it to 'em, Dee-Mee-Tree-Us!

The only thing I read about in EVERY article about this game is that Akron has no chance because of "havoc". It really shows how these guys have no clue what is really going to happen, so they just repeat the same thing the other so called experts says. Reading this stuff over and over again really makes me like our chances.

Point #1: Can we all please agree to include links when we talk about a great article we just read?

Point #2: I've been doing a lot of research on Havoc in articles and on YouTube. It's a pretty darned effective defense. But one point to consider is that it doesn't just pressure the point guard. It pressures every player on the court. So just having a good, experienced PG is no guarantee that a team can overcome Havoc. You need all the players on the court to work together as a team to handle the pressure. One of the side effects of the Zips not having their veteran PG is that it forces the rest of the players to try to compensate instead of relying on one player to do it on his own. This team is pretty tightly knit, and the players who are likely to see significant time against VCU took a giant step forward in playing together as a team between the final regular season loss to Can't and the MAC tournament. This will serve the Zips well in Thursday night's game. There will be times that they will stumble against Havoc, as every other team has. But the Zips still have the ability to overcome this if they continue to play together as a cohesive team.

Point #1: Can we all please agree to include links when we talk about a great article we just read?

Point #2: I've been doing a lot of research on Havoc in articles and on YouTube. It's a pretty darned effective defense. But one point to consider is that it doesn't just pressure the point guard. It pressures every player on the court. So just having a good, experienced PG is no guarantee that a team can overcome Havoc. You need all the players on the court to work together as a team to handle the pressure. One of the side effects of the Zips not having their veteran PG is that it forces the rest of the players to try to compensate instead of relying on one player to do it on his own. This team is pretty tightly knit, and the players who are likely to see significant time against VCU took a giant step forward in playing together as a team between the final regular season loss to Can't and the MAC tournament. This will serve the Zips well in Thursday night's game. There will be times that they will stumble against Havoc, as every other team has. But the Zips still have the ability to overcome this if they continue to play together as a cohesive team.

We just gotta get it past half court, feed it to Tree/Zeke and absolutely DOMINATE the boards.

Not often talked about - Tree has some great ball handling skills. I look for him to be the wild card against the havoc.

I wouldn't want Reggie or Kretzer taking more than 2 or 3 dribbles against havoc (of course they might surprise me). But I'd say both Reggie & Kretzer can handle the ball at least as well as Nic C. did last year - who helped bring the ball up against havoc.

Tree, Harney, Reggie, Kretzer... they all are better ball handlers than Nic C. was. Melo is very quick and a better ball handler than AA was. Add that to 7' Zeke @ center court for a safety valve and we should be alright.

Hands down, the best way to counter their defense is to create turnovers of our own and score on the fast break.

Dave, I am fully convinced of one thing -- to defeat VCU we must not only AVOID turnovers, we must CREATE! Zips gotta play better Deeee-Fence than the opponent! :wave:

I was reading the VCU message boards and I think the VCU fans are more arrogant than OU fans. VCU is a good team and they play an impressive style of basketball but to completely discount the Zips altogether is crazy. Our team is turnover prone and they will most likely turnover the ball quite a bit but this team also can play some impressive defense. I know these are fans but I have to believe some of this arrogance also extends to the team. Zeke's quote is more confidence than arrogance.

I was reading the VCU message boards and I think the VCU fans are more arrogant than OU fans. VCU is a good team and they play an impressive style of basketball but to completely discount the Zips altogether is crazy. Our team is turnover prone and they will most likely turnover the ball quite a bit but this team also can play some impressive defense. I know these are fans but I have to believe some of this arrogance also extends to the team. Zeke's quote is more confidence than arrogance.

With Coach Smart at the helm? I doubt it. That man comes from a pedigree that simply will not allow for an arrogant mentality. It will be interesting to see if their demeanor changes, however, once the Butler and St. Louis games come out. It might give us all a better idea of where VCU stands nationally in competition.

Thought of a few more at work today. Maybe this could be a start on next year's marketing campaign (not to get ahead of myself......still LOTS to do THIS year)

Akron Basketball is - Tree-nacious, Tree-silient and Tree-mendous!

I just love his Tree-bounding, and his Tree-fense is pretty darn good, too.