MTSU IN and Kentucky OUT

skip-zip

I touched on this briefly last week, but I thought it was worth looking at Middle Tennessee again. Mostly because I am still in complete shock that an NCAA selection committee gave an At-Large bid to a Sun Belt team, over a "name team" like Kentucky. This just does not fit their history, at all.

Top-30 RPI:

I've always thought that was the magic number

No bad losses (prior to their upset loss in the Sun Belt Tourney):

Florida (Road - #10 ranked team in the nation)

Akron (Road OT loss to MAC Champ)

Arkansas State (Road OT loss to Sun Belt West Champ)

Belmont (OVC Champs who destroyed the OU Bobcats)

A high profile win:

Ole Miss (The eventual SEC Champ)

Played 3 SEC teams in their OOC Schedule:

Despite not having several big wins, they still got in. Was the RPI good enough? The RPI plus the "quality losses" maybe? I even read an article where someone pointed out their good, consistent play on the road as a factor.

And I still can't figure out how they get a Top-30 RPI without a much higher SOS.

Anyway, I thought this could make good discussion this week. Can anyone find anything else in their resume that should be noted and remembered for future reference?

And today both teams are at home.

My question regarding MTSU is how did they get an 11 seed when we got a 12 seed? Didn't we beat them? Does the tournament committee completely discount the game because it was at home?

Would you rather have a play in 11 seed or a straight 12? Would you rather have played last night and if we won been set to play in Memphis or be the 12 seed getting ready to play VCU?

First off I think 11 seed as a play in game is bullshit to start with but I do think I'd rather have played last night as an 11.

I just posted something on this last night right here. MTSU is the only team Jerry Palm missed getting right out of 68, and he's been doing bracketology for 20 years. I think we just have to understand that the selection committee will never be 100% predictable. MTSU's lack of top 100 wins was unprecedented for an at-large bid. Next year another team could have identical credentials to what MTSU had this season and be excluded by the selection committee. MTSU's 13-point loss to St. Mary's last night certainly did nothing to reinforce the selection committee's belief that they made the right decision with that selection, and that perhaps another team may have been more worthy. Of course, Kentucky would probably not have been a great choice, either, based on their embarassing NIT loss to #8 seed Robert Morris.

According to CBS's interview of Chairman Bobinski right after the bracket was announced, hte difference between MTSU and the others like TN and KY was "their ability to win on the road." Their few road losses were not bad losses. Their RPI was good, record was good, etc.

It flat out came down to winning on the road.

According to CBS's interview of Chairman Bobinski right after the bracket was announced, hte difference between MTSU and the others like TN and KY was "their ability to win on the road." Their few road losses were not bad losses. Their RPI was good, record was good, etc.

It flat out came down to winning on the road.

I've seen that mentioned as well, as I indicated in my post.

And just think, they got so close to scoring two more big road victories, if they would have pulled out the overtime games at Akron and Arkansas State.

The fact that we were possibly thinking about volunteering to play a road Bracket Buster game tells you that our people have possibly picked up on the value of having more opportunities to win on the road. I wonder if we might see that type of adjustment reflected in our OOC schedule next year?

MTSU's lack of top 100 wins was unprecedented for an at-large bid. Next year another team could have identical credentials to what MTSU had this season and be excluded by the selection committee.

There's no doubt that some things are lacking from their resume, in our eyes. But, I do believe that it holds true that it's hard to pass on a team with an RPI under 30.

I dont like to play this card, but MTSU got hosed by the refs last night.

I'd say they got hosed by their own strategy last night. No way they are going to beat St Mary's without any effort at transition. They played right into SMC's hands.

And today both teams are at home.

My question regarding MTSU is how did they get an 11 seed when we got a 12 seed? Didn't we beat them? Does the tournament committee completely discount the game because it was at home?

Would you rather have a play in 11 seed or a straight 12? Would you rather have played last night and if we won been set to play in Memphis or be the 12 seed getting ready to play VCU?

First off I think 11 seed as a play in game is bullshit to start with but I do think I'd rather have played last night as an 11.

The Zips could not have played in the First Four in Dayton unless we were one of the bottom 4 conference champs (i.e. a 16 seed) or one of the last 4 at-large teams (we were not at-large)