Baseball team support

GJGood

I know baseball is not a major sport in midwestern and northeast college sports historically and that Akron, in particular, hasn't had a lot of recent success but I'd like to see more support for the baseball Zips. I really don't understand why the MAC in general does not have more fan support for their baseball teams. This is one sport where the MAC can truly compete with other conferences in the region including the Big Ten and whatever the Big East is now. The Zips' archrival proved what could be possible last year.

Increased attendance at games and more interest will likely also bring about better recruiting and hence better teams.

I wish I lived closer so I could go to more games. I do attend every year when Akron plays OSU down here in Columbus and I try to attend a game or two on weekends when I can. I just hope that the Zips can generate at least more local interest and improve their popularity in the Akron area.

I know baseball is not a major sport in midwestern and northeast college sports historically and that Akron, in particular, hasn't had a lot of recent success but I'd like to see more support for the baseball Zips. I really don't understand why the MAC in general does not have more fan support for their baseball teams. This is one sport where the MAC can truly compete with other conferences in the region including the Big Ten and whatever the Big East is now. The Zips' archrival proved what could be possible last year.

Increased attendance at games and more interest will likely also bring about better recruiting and hence better teams.

I wish I lived closer so I could go to more games. I do attend every year when Akron plays OSU down here in Columbus and I try to attend a game or two on weekends when I can. I just hope that the Zips can generate at least more local interest and improve their popularity in the Akron area.

Have you looked at the overall record of MAC baseball teams?

So far there are two (2) teams in the entire conference with a winning record. They are a combined 3 games over .500.

Zips are about 3-16.

If they are looking for increased attendance then they should consider playing games later in the day. Most of their games start at 3 PM. I am a student and would go to more games if I could but I don't get out of class til 4, therefore I can usually only go to weekend games.

If they are looking for increased attendance then they should consider playing games later in the day. Most of their games start at 3 PM. I am a student and would go to more games if I could but I don't get out of class til 4, therefore I can usually only go to weekend games.

I'm more worried about where I'll be getting a drink in between/after classes now that Wing Warehouse is gone.

There probably isn't another college baseball stadium in the country where you can drink a beer, eat wings, and watch a game...for cheap.

Well, I think it starts with winning

Very much so.

And there's a reason the sport is not big in these parts. The season is almost half over, we haven't had a home game, and there's several inches of snow on the ground.

But yes, winning cures anything.

Very much so.

And there's a reason the sport is not big in these parts. The season is almost half over, we haven't had a home game, and there's several inches of snow on the ground.

^^This. Great baseball weather today. Spring has sprung! :lol:

But, yes, I love spring baseball when the temperature is finally in the 50's & spring is in the air. One of my favorite times of year.

Per GoZips.com the baseball team is changing the location of their opening weekend series against Northern Illinois. They were originally slated to play at Canal Park, but have moved the games to another minor league stadium in Avon.

Is Lee Jackson unplayable?

Really makes you think that's where they want the arena.

Is Lee Jackson unplayable?

Usually...

All Pro Freight is a beautiful park, and has the new turf. It's where the MAC Tournament is played, and where Cleveland State played until they pulled the plug. Seats about half of what Canal Park does.

Other than being 60 miles away, it's a nice alternative.

Very much so.

I agree. My point, though, was that the MAC was in position to actually be as big or bigger than leagues like the Big Ten and other regional conferences. I know the MAC has disadvantages nationally, but why not be the premier baseball conference in this region?

The records for MAC schools this time of year reflect the tough schedules that MAc schools generally play early in the season and having to do so almost entirely on the road or at distant neutral sites.

I agree. My point, though, was that the MAC was in position to actually be as big or bigger than leagues like the Big Ten and other regional conferences. I know the MAC has disadvantages nationally, but why not be the premier baseball conference in this region?

The records for MAC schools this time of year reflect the tough schedules that MAc schools generally play early in the season and having to do so almost entirely on the road or at distant neutral sites.

Despite these disadvantages we are holding strong in the "latest" baseball RPI