Fla Gulf Coast

The Hip Zip

Wow, I almost forgot how fun it could be to watch basketball. These guys play fast, they play loose and they truly play as a team. They just always seem to know where their guys are at, where they are going and how to finish plays. They are in constant motion on offense and quite an athletic bunch to boot. As a former player, I would have loved to play for that coach. Just one senior on their roster as well so look out next season.

I hear that LeBron tweeted his kudos yesterday to "Florida Golf Coast". :P

....which begs the question: Is Florida's "Golf Coast" on the Gulf Coast or on the Atlantic Coast? :D

When I think about what FGCU has done so far in this tourney, I can't help but to contrast the ROI they have enjoyed versus their in-state brethren, Florida Atlantic and Florida International. I know UA is too far down the road to turn away from football (I wouldn't want them to from my selfish perspective anyway), but FGCU is getting a huge payback for much less of an investment than either FAU or FIU has over the last decade or so. Kudos to the FGC administration.

Some little team gets hot for a couple of games in the NCAA tournament every season and captures the country's imagination. Most eventually fade back into obscurity after the magic run ends. FGCU's next game against Florida will be similar to the Zips going up against tOSU for state bragging rights. I like having a separate thread for FGSU because it will be easier to resurrect next season for an update.

@Big Zip, I love underdogs and cheer for them all the time. I was a big Butler supporter during their two big runs in the NCAA tournament. How could a Zips fan not want to see FGCU upset Florida? It's just that the odds are way against it. Occasionally a team like Butler makes a run, and then another run, and then another run. Mostly, underdog teams make a single run and then fade back into obscurity. We'll see how FGCU fares in the long run.

@Big Zip, I love underdogs and cheer for them all the time. I was a big Butler supporter during their two big runs in the NCAA tournament. How could a Zips fan not want to see FGCU upset Florida? It's just that the odds are way against it. Occasionally a team like Butler makes a run, and then another run, and then another run. Mostly, underdog teams make a single run and then fade back into obscurity. We'll see how FGCU fares in the long run.

CSU-logo.jpegKentStateGoldenFlashes.png

• 4 years later...