Zeke and the NBA Draft

So Hibbert's success against the Heat is generally good for Zeke

Oh no!?!

Roy Hibbert was having little impact. His teammates were turning it over before they could enter the ball to him in the post. A second defender was blindsiding him to try to take the ball away. Space was tight before he could make his move. The 7-foot-2 Hibbert was on his way to a 2-for-2 half -- both shots taken from longer distances than he'd grown accustomed in this series -- when he finally got the ball with a chance to drive; he backed hurriedly into the paint, struggling for balance before kicking out to a teammate with none of the assurance and patience that defined him previously. SI

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the vast majority of Zips fans are hoping like hell that he gets drafted. We all want to continue to follow his career.

But the NBA draft is just so maddening. Every year fans watch and scratch their heads over picks. We hear more about "upside" than we do actual production on the court. To me "upside" means, "this guy can't play basketball, but maybe someone can teach him." I'm still trying to recover from the Cavs drafting Christian Eyenga.

You're still trying to recover from a 30th pick? Im not sure what you were expecting with him.

I think the vast majority of Zips fans are hoping like hell that he gets drafted. We all want to continue to follow his career.

But the NBA draft is just so maddening. Every year fans watch and scratch their heads over picks. We hear more about "upside" than we do actual production on the court. To me "upside" means, "this guy can't play basketball, but maybe someone can teach him." I'm still trying to recover from the Cavs drafting Christian Eyenga.

So how do you feel about Desagana Djop and Dajuan Wagner?

So how do you feel about Desagana Djop and Dajuan Wagner?

Lol. I really didn't know where to start. Diop was the third option on his HS team, so that was a solid lottery pick. Throw Luke Jackson in there too.

The Eyenga one drove me nuts the most because DeJuan Blair was still on the board. He's been a nice role player for the Spurs, who always seem to find late round value.

Lukewarm reaction to Zeke's draft status from this Mavericks blogger on SB Nation:

Countdown to the Draft: Draft Visits for Dallas

By Alan Smithee

Zeke Marshall

Marshall is the 7 footer from the University of Akron. Not much has been made of Marshall yet, which indicates he may be a potential target with Dallas' second round pick, at #44. Marshall was a four year player at Akron, averaging 13 points, 7 rebounds and nearly 4 blocks a game his senior year. Marshall's Akron team took on Shaka Smart's VCU squad in the NCAA tournament as the 12th seed, and were completely obliterated by the Rams' press defense and Juvonte Reddic, who lit up Marshall for 21 points on 9-12 shooting.

You do see some polish to Marshall's post game in this video, but his general movement doesn't appear very fluid or quick. That does mesh with the data: Marshall's rebound rate was fairly pedestrian given his size and competition level. One can assume he'll face a lot more 7 footers in the NBA than he did in the Mid-American conference.

Zeke said in the video interview that he had no problem keeping up with the fast pace of the Phoenix workout, which according to the comment below may be designed to test players' conditioning. Zeke's good conditioning and ability to run would raise his value with the Suns.

Joining the point guards were French big man Mouhammadou Jaiteh and Akron center Zeke Marshall. Jaiteh could be an interesting option with the Suns’ 30th pick, and Marshall would be a developmental prospect to take 57th. From the sound of it, the one thing the Suns are doing more than other teams might would be testing players’ conditioning.

Link

George Thomas makes a good point that Zeke has a great opportunity to elevate his draft status by working out against bigs projected to go in the first round like Pitt's Steven Adams and Indiana's Cody Zeller: Zeke Marshall working against other big men

Zeke worked out against Jeff Whithey of Kansas and Musulla of Bucknell in Dallas. Out shot and out lifted both. He's already moved up in the eyes of several GMs.

George Thomas makes a good point that Zeke has a great opportunity to elevate his draft status by working out against bigs projected to go in the first round like Pitt's Steven Adams and Indiana's Cody Zeller: Zeke Marshall working against other big men

Zeke worked out against Jeff Whithey of Kansas and Musulla of Bucknell in Dallas. Out shot and out lifted both. He's already moved up in the eyes of several GMs.

I have my fingers crossed for Zeke. As I watched him during his time as a Zip, he definitely put some big grins on my face.

I wish nothing but the very finest for him and I hope he gets a big payday.

All the naysayers can go to Hell.

George Thomas for Akron.com.

I wasn't aware teams did this. Two teams have invited Zeke to workout head-to-head with another possible draft choice.

On June 12th Minnesota is having Zeke workout against Pitt's Steven Adams.

Later in the month Portland has Big Z's working out against Indiana's Cody Zeller.

@Blue & Gold, we were just discussing that in the posts prior to yours. It appears to be not uncommon to invite multiple centers (or forwards or guards) to workouts for direct comparisons. You can clearly see that in the HoopsHype.com lists of upcoming workouts and past workouts. These lists usually include the names of many but not necessarily all of the players at each workout. The upcoming June 12 Minnesota Timberwolves workout lists not only Zeke and Steven Adams, but also Cody Zeller, Mike Muscala and Rudy Gobert. That's quite a lineup of quality bigs getting a chance to show their stuff against each other.

Cody Zeller will aparently not be working out against Zeke in Portland and perhaps not in Minnesota after all. Zeller had a private workout with Portland yesterday:

Chris Haynes, who reported the news earlier that Zeller would be working out individually, talked with Zeller before his workout who said it was his agent's idea he work out individually: "He's been in this situation before. I trust him"

Zeller is being projected as a possible lottery pick, and his agent is probably thinking his client has more to lose than to gain by direct comparisons with players like Zeke. From the perspective of NBA teams who might have an interest in Zeke based on his performance in workouts, it's in their best interests not to have a buzz about Zeke. More than one team may be thinking that the less buzz there is about Zeke, the better chance they have of grabbing him with a late second round draft choice. Hopefully one team will be smart enough not to risk losing a shot at Zeke and will draft him earlier.

One NBA team that, unfortunately, appears to have little interest in Zeke is the Cleveland Cavaliers. Bob Finnan (@BobCavsinsider) writes in the Cleveland News-Herald:

University of Akron center Zeke Marshall is gaining popularity around the league.

"I can't wait until June 27," agent Dino Pergola said.

Marshall, a 7-foot, 235-pounder, played like a man possessed in Akron's championship run through the Mid-American Conference tournament at Quicken Loans Arena in March. However, he didn't play like that all season for the Zips.

Pergola said he's holding out hope that Marshall will be a second-round pick in the NBA draft.

"His chances of being drafted are extremely high," he said.

Pergola said Marshall's workouts in Dallas and Detroit recently were outstanding.

"He's doing very well," Pergola said.

When it's all said and done, he's expected to work out for as many as 12 teams. The Cavaliers aren't one of them.

"We met with the Cavs on Friday in Las Vegas, but there didn't seem to be a lot of interest in bringing him in," Pergola said.

He said they usually bring in local athletes for workouts, especially ones with a 7-5 wingspan. Pergola said they might not be able to fit them in now in Marshall's busy schedule heading up to the draft.

IMHO, being selected by the Cavaliers is NOT in Zeke's best interest.

While one may sight any number of reasons consider this one. Chase Blackburn was a free agent who tried out with

the Cleveland Browns fresh out of college. They cut him. Today Chase owns TWO Super Bowl rings. The Browns

have NEVER been to any Super Bowl; ever.

What does this have to do with Zeke, you ask? Well. name any Cleveland sports franchise that has a produced a champion

post 1964. Oh, you can't. Touche'.

Ed Isaacson's NBA Draft Blog has a pretty balanced evaluation of Zeke and his NBA draft chances. Isaacson is based in New York City, and this appears to be pretty objective and not an overly optimistic report from a local type. At the end of the evaluation, Isaacson's concludes:

The Verdict – Though development has been steady, Marshall never took the big leap that many may have hoped. Still, he is a 7-footer who is efficient on offense and is a good defender and shot-blocker. Also, a lot of his offense suffered because he just wasn’t getting the ball enough in good situations. Strength and quickness will still need to be improved, but with the right team, Marshall can become a valuable role player. I think Marshall is being undervalued right now, and I think he would be a quality good pick in the mid-2nd round (42-49) range.

The Case For...Zeke Marshall