Article on Jay Rohr

Johnny Utah

Jackson grad hopes to join Akron alums in NFLMonday, April 17, 2006 By Steve Doerschuk REPOSITORY SPORTS WRITERSome NFL dreams are practical. Some are pure fantasy. University of Akron players tend to dream big. That happens when a guy like Charlie Frye stays so close to the program that it’s like he never left. The dream of the hour has Frye, the Browns’ likely starting quarterback, reuniting with Zips receiver Domenik Hixon. It’s a natural. Frye and Hixon were good together in 2004, when Hixon was a junior. Now, every insider from Akron to Berea knows Frye would be tickled if the Browns draft Hixon. It’s not as if Cleveland would be doing some big favor. The 6-foot-2½ Hixon has a rare mix of size and speed. He ran the 40 in the 4.3s and vertical jumped 38½ inches at Akron’s Pro Day, which, of course, Frye attended. Akron linebacker Jay Rohr’s NFL dream is different. He’s a player, no doubt, but not a physical specimen. He never missed a game in four years after an outstanding run at Jackson High School. He was arguably the best defensive player on the Mid-American Conference’s best team in 2005. Rohr led the Zips in tackles. Some called him the A.J. Hawk of the MAC. He’s a mini-Hawk, though — two inches shorter, 15 pounds lighter, and not as fast as the Ohio State star. Hawk might be a No. 5 overall pick on April 29. Hixon is a likely pick on the second day of the draft. SPIELMAN AND THOMAS Rohr probably won’t be drafted. He will be ready to accept the best offer, or any offer, to join a team as an undrafted rookie. “The NFL has been a dream of mine,†Rohr said over Easter weekend. “I’d pursue pro football in the CFL, in NFL Europe, or whatever, but the NFL is my first choice.†He figures to be in a group scrutinized by NFL scouts on May 20 in Columbus. He has been invited to an NFL combine June 16-17 in New Orleans. Ideally, he’d be invited to a team in time for May minicamps. At worst, he wants to hook on with an NFL team before training camps start in July. At 5-foot-11, 230 pounds and without sprinter speed, he must hope someone likes something else about him. “I looked up to Chris Spielman when I was growing up,†Rohr said. “I was glad the Browns signed him when they came back. I’ve followed Zach Thomas. People put him down because of his height and weight, but he proved he can play.†Rohr is almost exactly the same size as Thomas, who has had a 10-year NFL career. Rohr is prepared for a struggle. He said he’ll give his pro football dream at least two years. “I tried to be one of the best linebackers in the MAC,†he said. “I’ve done all I could to prepare, and I’ll continue to do all I can do. “I’ve already done things I wasn’t expected to do.†At Jackson, Rohr was first-team All-Ohio twice and was the 2001 Stark County coaches’ Player of the Year. College recruiters worried about his size and speed. Then-Akron Head Coach Lee Owens said in 2002, “There weren’t a lot of people beating his door down, but just look at the film and believe what you see. The guy can flat-out play.†THE MARSHALL MEMORY Rohr was a two-way guy in high school. He rushed for 163 yards the day Jackson clinched an outright Federal League title by beating North Canton Hoover, 20-10. He proved himself a tough, versatile linebacker for Akron. He hunted a wide array of running backs, finishing his career against Memphis whiz DeAngelo Williams. Williams is sure to be drafted in the first round, listed 15th on Mel Kiper Jr.’s “big board.†Rohr is sure only that he’ll lift and run and try to stay in great shape. “That funnel keeps getting narrower as players progress through the levels,†said Phil Mauro, who was Rohr’s head coach at Jackson. “But I’d never bet against Jay. I know that. “He has that iron will, that heart.†Frye has encouraged Rohr. They shared a memorable night against Marshall in 2004, when Rohr had a game-high 12 tackles, and Frye led a comeback to a 31-28 win as Hixon caught 13 passes for 192 yards. “Some people don’t like Akron,†Rohr said. “Charlie did, and he does. He hung out with us this past season. He talked to the team. He came to our bowl game. He’s been at spring practices this year. “He’s a great person and a tremendous athlete. He gets along with everyone. He’s gonna do well in Cleveland.†Rohr hopes to do well ... somewhere. “I really just want someone to give me a chance,†Rohr said. “I’ll take it from there.†Reach Repository sports writer Steve Doerschuk at (330) 580-8347 or e-mail: steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com The Jay Rohr file Born June 9, 1983. High school Starred on both sides of the ball at Jackson (left) with 441 career tackles and 3,226 rushing yards; named Stark County coaches’ player of the year his senior season of 2001. COLLEGE University of Akron. 2002 Tried at linebacker and running back as freshman; recovered a fumble in a win at Marshall. 2003 Again played in all 12 games, in an expanded role at linebacker, making 48 tackles. 2004 Emerged as starting strong-side linebacker; made 12 tackles in win over Marshall. 2005 Moved to middle linebacker, ranked 21st in NCAA Division I with 6.0 solo tackles per game; won Fred Sefton Award as Akron’s top defensive player; wore No. 32, just as he did during his Jackson days.

I would never bet against Jay Rohr. Interesting that he is comparable in size to Zach Thomas. It would be fantastic if he could catch on somewhere. I didn't think Blackburn was gonna be able to make it, and look what he did last season.

• 6 years later...
  • 8 years later...

Jay has a mom named Sue and i worked with her for several years...she was a breath of fresh air if there ever was one...i honestly think Jay gets his football enthusiasm from her...he's a great kid and it's a shame he didn't make it any further...physically, he wasn't very big, but boy his heart sure was...no doubt the best player to ever put on the pads for the Jackson Polar Bears,  the school from which i graduated in 1972

Edited by zman24635@gmail.com
misspell
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2013 at 11:03 AM, Sergeant Zip said:

Jay Rohr will join Stark County H.S. Football Hall.

Jay Rohr already has joined the Stark Co H.S. football fall of fame...on the other hand, Vince Lombardi was the most overrated NFL coach of all time...he was a rah-rah coach...get back in ther son, because the bone you just broke isn't weight bearing...Paul Brown was the true genius, with Bill Walsh right behind him

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...