Marketing Idea

GP1

I've made fun of university marketing departments for a long time because I think they don't have any original ideas and copy what everyone else is doing. I may have to take that back.

Yesterday, I was at UNCAsheville for a pre-bid meeting and we had to walk through the basketball arena to get where we needed to go. I saw a poster on the wall that had one of the most creative and inspiring sayings on it I have ever seen a university put together.

So, you may or may not know this, but they are the UNCA Bulldogs. On the walls, almost every poster said, "Fear the Dog". A great and creative idea.... What?... It is a copy of what?... Half the universities in the US have done what?....... Never mind......

Is it a good design? Better than what they had before? Are they going to market around it? Not enough info given to answer the question at hand.

You missed the point. The lack of original thought is what is so pathetic. It's a tired idea.

I have a better idea that would drive more interest and attendance at UNCA games..... "Fear The Treehugger" The design would be a pot smoking hippie from Asheville choking a player from an opposing team for walking over a tree root.

No lie. On the unca campus, a contractor can be issued a citation for running over a tree root with his vehicle.

It may not have been original when Akron did it, but at least it showed signs of being successful, unlike anything we've done since.

It was a cheap rip off then and it has become a stale cheap rip off now.

• 2 years later...

Blue Jackets getting recognized for their game day posters.

One of the coolest developments of the current hockey season has been a new initiative by the Columbus Blue Jackets, who've been promoting their home games with a series of sensational game-day posters.

Not on the same talent level as Cleveland artist Derek Hess, but Anthony's work (concept) reminds me a little of it.

Blue Jackets getting recognized for their game day posters.

One of the coolest developments of the current hockey season has been a new initiative by the Columbus Blue Jackets, who've been promoting their home games with a series of sensational game-day posters.

Not on the same talent level as Cleveland artist Derek Hess, but Anthony's work (concept) reminds me a little of it.

That is some great artwork and clever motifs. I say we commission him to do a poster for the 2017 Wagon Wheel Game. It can depict Zippy coming out onto the front porch, raring back on her tail and kicking Flash (dressed as a Domino's delivery driver) off the porch with both legs. Ya feel me?

• Like 3

On the unca campus, a contractor can be issued a citation for running over a tree root with his vehicle.

Running over tree roots with a vehicle can kill trees, depending upon the species and the age and the root that was run over. Injured roots can also become infected with various tree fungi which can also kill the tree. Considering universities have something aesthetically to gain from having hundred-odd year old trees on their campuses, Sounds like a completely valid reason to fine someone...or at least to hopefully prevent someone from being overtly careless.

That's the right line of thought. It sure beats "Akron vs. Can't...Tickets On Sale Now"

Basically it boils down to the "Give a damn" contention...I'm wondering if we can move the "Give A Damn" hypothesis to theory now, because UA still demonstrates that it really doesn't give a damn...about engaing the public, or it's alumni and students

• Like 1

Running over tree roots with a vehicle can kill trees, depending upon the species and the age and the root that was run over. Injured roots can also become infected with various tree fungi which can also kill the tree. Considering universities have something aesthetically to gain from having hundred-odd year old trees on their campuses, Sounds like a completely valid reason to fine someone...or at least to hopefully prevent someone from being overtly careless.

No one ever said that GP1 was a certified arborist! But, goddang it. I miss that Somavich!!!

• 9 months later...