BIG Lady Zips News

Didn't see this posted yet, so decided it should be.

Dunnigan transfers to Akron

That means the incoming class looks like this:

NC State Transfer Therany Dunnigan - 6'2 forward- Will have two years of eligibility left after ineligible 2013-2014 season

Keanna Gary- 6'1 true freshman forward from Leo Junior Senior High School (IN)

Alex Ricketts- 5'11 true freshman guard from Kennedy-Kenrick Catholic High School (PA)

Hannah Scipio- 5'4 true freshman point guard from New Albany High School (OH)

Hannah Plybon- 5'9 true freshman guard from Orrville High School(OH). Rated as an "86" prospect by ESPN...

Roster looks like this for next season:

Seniors

Kacie Cassell

Cari Guyton?(Didn't play much at all, so not sure if she could of been redshirted or not, being a JUCO player)

Sina King

Hanna Luburgh

Rachel Tecca

Carly Young

Sophomores

Megan Barilla

Anita Brown

DiAndra Gibson

Katie Nunan

Jasmine Wood

Freshmen

Hannah Plybon

Alex Ricketts

Hannah Scipio

Keanna Gary

With an 85 or better rated true freshman coming to Akron in consecutive seasons, and then getting an NC State transfer who was a Top 100 player in the 2010 class(91 rating) to Akron, the Lady Zips program is taking the next step.

They have a great senior group, good sophomore group that may be able to contribute more this season, and then a freshman class that is really good as well. One of the most underrated players in the state of Ohio, true freshman Hannah Plybon, is going to be a good edition to this program. I wouldn't even be surprised if Plybon is the first or second one off the bench by MAC play.

Didn't see this posted yet, so decided it should be.

It was, earlier. Happy to have this talented young lady who will replace Rachel Tecca after next season.

Dunnigan transfers to Akron

That means the incoming class looks like this:

NC State Transfer Therany Dunnigan - 6'2 forward- Will have two years of eligibility left after ineligible 2013-2014 season

Keanna Gary- 6'1 true freshman forward from Leo Junior Senior High School (IN)

Alex Ricketts- 5'11 true freshman guard from Kennedy-Kenrick Catholic High School (PA)

Hannah Scipio- 5'4 true freshman point guard from New Albany High School (OH)

Hannah Plybon- 5'9 true freshman guard from Orrville High School(OH). Rated as an "86" prospect by ESPN...

Roster looks like this for next season:

Seniors

Kacie Cassell

Cassell is an outstanding point guard who has a proven track record. Starter.

Cari Guyton?(Didn't play much at all, so not sure if she could of been redshirted or not, being a JUCO player)

Cari has been a huge disappointment. She needs to get on a diet; hit the weight room; listen to the coaches;

put maximum effort or she is a complete bust.

Sina King

Stud power forward who plays with guts and intensity. Sina is often under appreciated for her hard work and

excellent results. Starter.

Hanna Luburgh

Strong, smart all round excellent small forward. Starter.

Rachel Tecca

MAC Player of the Year; likely to repeat. Starter.

Carly Young

First off the bench; a quality sixth man who has range and breaks games open with deadly three balls.

Sophomores

Megan Barilla A work in progress.

Anita Brown Saw the most minutes of the sophomore group. Needs to be more confident in herself.

DiAndra Gibson Show us.

Katie Nunan Suppose to be a shooter. Turn her loose.

Jasmine Wood Another work in progress.

Freshmen

Hannah Plybon Likely to take departing senior Ruper's starting spot at the two guard.

Alex Ricketts Unknown.

Hannah Scipio Talented point guard who will have a year to understudy Cassie Kassell.

Keanna Gary Unknown.

The Lady Zips were the MAC East Champs and played Central Michigan for the MAC Tournament Championship, but lost.

The Zips may be the favorite to win it all in 2013-14. Most certainly the East favorite.

Coach Kest has done the impossible. She has taken the perennial doormat and made them into a feared power house.

The Lady Zips were the MAC East Champs and played Central Michigan for the MAC Tournament Championship, but lost.

The Zips may be the favorite to win it all in 2013-14. Most certainly the East favorite.

Coach Kest has done the impossible. She has taken the perennial doormat and made them into a feared power house.

Nice summaries. With a senior laden roster, this coming season is big. There's certainly a chance that both the men and women could win conference titles. Would be great to see both in the NCAA tourney.

I'm loving this! :D The Lady Zips making it to the MAC Championship game was a huge surprise. With the additions that the Lady Zips have been making, as well as oustanding play by players on the team currently, we can probably look forward to MBB and WBB co-champions!

How long did it take Kest?

Kest led the Ladies to a winning season (18-14) in her sixth season. Last year, her seventh, the Ladies went 23-10 for

their best win/loss record ever in the program history.

Success breeds more success as winning programs generally attract better players. This is what is happening at Akron now.

Akron is probably now getting the 3rd or 4th best recruiting class. At the present rate the Ladies are likely to have the

dominant program in the MAC with in the next three years.

A new arena and a better conference is likely to propel the Ladies to a long term dominant role. The culture of losing is gone.

Replaced by a winning attitude that is enjoying success. The best is yet to come.

Kest led the Ladies to a winning season (18-14) in her sixth season. Last year, her seventh, the Ladies went 23-10 for

their best win/loss record ever in the program history.

Success breeds more success as winning programs generally attract better players. This is what is happening at Akron now.

Akron is probably now getting the 3rd or 4th best recruiting class. At the present rate the Ladies are likely to have the

dominant program in the MAC with in the next three years.

A new arena and a better conference is likely to propel the Ladies to a long term dominant role. The culture of losing is gone.

Replaced by a winning attitude that is enjoying success. The best is yet to come.

I've given up on a dream of a new arena. Just doesn't look like that's happening. Hopefully UA can do enough to keep Kest happy and keep her with the Zips. Maybe it's just me but I feel the women's basketball is definitely gaining popularity. We won't ever have a program like Notre Dame, UConn, or Baylor but their games are actually fairly entertaining. I will also say that having girls like Skylar Diggins doesn't hurt either.

As well as they did last year and having most of the team back, they are quite likely to be MAC East Champs again. Unfortunately, CMU who dominated the Zips in both games has their entire team core back, so I suspect they will be MAC favorites. Love what the women have done but I think it is an awfully tall order to knock CMU off their perch this coming year.

It's just you. Some programs have a respectable following, but the vast majority do not.

That's true. I don't have attendance numbers, but I doubt they've changed in any real way throughout Division I. That being said, the major game changer that might lead to the idea that WBB is gaining popularity is TV and internet broadcasts. It's much more accessible now.

@Dr Z, to the best of my knowledge UA counts attendance at all sports events (men's and women's) the same way -- tickets sold to the general public plus the number of students who actually show up and have their student IDs scanned. So it's kind of a hybrid system of general public tickets sold plus student butts in seats. I believe that most schools do it like this.

@Dr Z, to the best of my knowledge UA counts attendance at all sports events (men's and women's) the same way -- tickets sold to the general public plus the number of students who actually show up and have their student IDs scanned. So it's kind of a hybrid system of general public tickets sold plus student butts in seats. I believe that most schools do it like this.

This is true...but I think we should also note that many of the students don't stay long for the game. Many scan in for free stuff/Roowards points...stay for a little while and then leave. Even with the Lady Zips doing so well this season, I dare to say there were not 1000 people in those games.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, even if it's only for next season, the attendance will increase. IMHO, the favorites next season are Central Michigan, Ball State, Akron, and Toledo (Bowling Green and Buffalo not too far off). Next year may be the best season for the MAC women's overall as a conference in a LONG time. Good chance at a two-bid league. Only reason I say that, is because of Ball State. They're the wild card in this. Coach Sallee does not shy away from playing big time teams, and with everyone returning plus a top 40 recruiting class nationally, They could have a very good RPI and record going into conference play. We match up better with them than CMU, and Ball State matches up better with CMU than us. If we could win the MAC regular season, most likely it will be Ball State and CMU 2 and 3, with either Toledo or Bowling Green most likely at 4. I like our chances there, especially with the good chance of Ball State in the MAC title game. I also think with our up-tempo play, the new rule of a 10 second half court violation for the women's game being implemented(finally!), could help us cause more turnovers...

Of course, this is like 8 months premature, but just undoing the cobwebs right now in my empty head. Stumbled upon this video, and figured to share it.