Sign in to follow this  
ZachTheZip

Assistant Coach Matt Futch hired by OCU

Another head coach in the Dambrot coaching tree. How many is that now? There will be many more, I know.

Another head coach in the Dambrot coaching tree. How many is that now?

One?

GP1 really? Shaka Smart?

There were two schools between VCU and Akron. According to this logic, the coach at California PA could claim credit as well.

GP1 really? Shaka Smart?

Agreed. I don't think it counts if one of your former coaches takes a couple more stops in between and turns into one of the best coaches in the nation. Usually a coaching tree has the best coach at the beginning. Pitino, for instance.

Agreed. I don't think it counts if one of your former coaches takes a couple more stops in between and turns into one of the best coaches in the nation. Usually a coaching tree has the best coach at the beginning. Pitino, for instance.

I don't think I would credit the coach at California PA for Smart's success.

I don't think I would credit the coach at California PA for Smart's success.

I don't think there's one person you point to and say, "Yeah, that guy put Shaka on the map." Shaka Smart made the most of his opportunity. Not every good coach comes from a coaching tree.

So Matt Futch (according to his bio on GoZips.com) was a Grad Assistant at Akron. That doesn't seem like the normal path -- Grad Assistant to Head Coach regardless of level.

ABJ: Chris Livingston, Jonathan King lead Griffins to Division II state semifinal

“This is a special time for me,” Buchtel coach Matt Futch said. “I work at the University of Akron, my alma mater, and I am over at Buchtel High School trying to guide our young people where I spent my high school career. This is a special time to be able to put our community in this situation to get behind these guys and now compete for a state title.”

I wasn't aware that Big Matt worked at UA.  Love keeping guys local & helping shape the community! (E.g., Marques Hayes at East.)  Go Zips!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: Chris Livingston, Jonathan King lead Griffins to Division II state semifinal

“This is a special time for me,” Buchtel coach Matt Futch said. “I work at the University of Akron, my alma mater, and I am over at Buchtel High School trying to guide our young people where I spent my high school career. This is a special time to be able to put our community in this situation to get behind these guys and now compete for a state title.”

I wasn't aware that Big Matt worked at UA.  Love keeping guys local & helping shape the community! (E.g., Marques Hayes at East.)  Go Zips!

Let's hope Matt does some lobbying for UA for the Chris Livingston recruitment. Hell of a player!

• Like 1