Assistant Coach Matt Futch hired by OCU

Agreed. I don't think it counts if one of your former coaches takes a couple more stops in between and turns into one of the best coaches in the nation. Usually a coaching tree has the best coach at the beginning. Pitino, for instance.

I don't think I would credit the coach at California PA for Smart's success.

I don't think I would credit the coach at California PA for Smart's success.

I don't think there's one person you point to and say, "Yeah, that guy put Shaka on the map." Shaka Smart made the most of his opportunity. Not every good coach comes from a coaching tree.

• 5 years later...

ABJ: Chris Livingston, Jonathan King lead Griffins to Division II state semifinal

“This is a special time for me,” Buchtel coach Matt Futch said. “I work at the University of Akron, my alma mater, and I am over at Buchtel High School trying to guide our young people where I spent my high school career. This is a special time to be able to put our community in this situation to get behind these guys and now compete for a state title.”

I wasn't aware that Big Matt worked at UA.  Love keeping guys local & helping shape the community! (E.g., Marques Hayes at East.)  Go Zips!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: Chris Livingston, Jonathan King lead Griffins to Division II state semifinal

“This is a special time for me,” Buchtel coach Matt Futch said. “I work at the University of Akron, my alma mater, and I am over at Buchtel High School trying to guide our young people where I spent my high school career. This is a special time to be able to put our community in this situation to get behind these guys and now compete for a state title.”

I wasn't aware that Big Matt worked at UA.  Love keeping guys local & helping shape the community! (E.g., Marques Hayes at East.)  Go Zips!

Let's hope Matt does some lobbying for UA for the Chris Livingston recruitment. Hell of a player!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

Interesting.  I do hope leaving Buchtel was of Matt's own volition.  I thought he was doing a great job there and was a perfect fit for the Griffins.  If anyone has any inside knowledge of Matt's situation at Buchtel (including the strange Livingston situation last summer) please DM me.

I was told by faculty at the STEM school (where at least the good Livingston attended) that he wasn't going to make grades to play, which is the reason he/they transferred. Didn't seem to have anything to do with the coach, but I'm not sure simply transferring to a private school could skirt grade eligibility requirements, so there may be more to the story...

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

"CVCA announced Futch as its new boys basketball coach Monday, taking over for Jay Peters, who stepped down last month after 17 years of leading the Royals."  Jay Peters!!  There's a blast from the past.  He was like the original CJ McCollum.  Went from an unknown junior to -- did he become Mr Basketball like CJ -- for the Battlin' Bees?

• 9 months later...