Pre-Season 2013

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any info on Keisuke Ohata? According to twitter he's rooming with Louis Cross. I see online that he played for AFC Cleveland this summer.

Also, there's this video: Ohata College Soccer Recruiting Video'

If this has already been covered here I apologize, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Nice find. He's on the Zips roster.

"Please contact me about laying for your school" :rolleyes:

What?

All I meant is that today is the first that I had heard of Keisuke Ohata, and that he is indeed on the roster. When I noticed the uniform number changes on the roster (eg., Aodhan is #10 this season) a few days ago, Ohata was not listed.

What?

All I meant is that today is the first that I had heard of Keisuke Ohata, and that he is indeed on the roster. When I noticed the uniform number changes on the roster (eg., Aodhan is #10 this season) a few days ago, Ohata was not listed.

I am quoting the last frame on Keisuke Ohata's promotional video. :rofl:

I have never seen this name before today. The new offical roster cannot be even 72 hours old.

Embick must know plenty about him. All indicators are that he played the enitire season for AFC Cleveland. CREW8, you out there?

I have never seen this name before today. The new offical roster cannot be even 72 hours old.

Embick must know plenty about him. All indicators are that he played the enitire season for AFC Cleveland. CREW8, you out there?

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't watched all of his video yet. I only made it to 1 AFC Cleveland game early in the season and don't remember him.

It appears that he did not play the entire season for AFC Cleveland. This blog entry was written July 12, 2013, as AFC Cleveland was entering the playoffs.

Dark horse: A player to watch for is midfielder Keisuke Ohata from Tokyo, Japan. He recently joined the Royals from Kokugakuin Kugayama and has provided a spark for the Cleveland attack. He has great pace and excellent footwork, making him capable of breaking a big play at any moment.

EDIT: Same blog, June 21, 2013

DCFC’s Fabio Pereira converted a PK in the 64 minute to put the visitors up 2-1, but that lead was short-lived as Bell scored in the 76th off an assist from Keisuke Ohata.

It was the first appearance of the season for Ohata, who recently joined AFC Cleveland from a Japanese club.

“I wasn’t expecting that many supporters,” Ohata said. “I am glad to be here. It’s an honor.”

It appears that he did not play the entire season for AFC Cleveland. This blog entry was written July 12, 2013, as AFC Cleveland was entering the playoffs.

Dark horse: A player to watch for is midfielder Keisuke Ohata from Tokyo, Japan. He recently joined the Royals from Kokugakuin Kugayama and has provided a spark for the Cleveland attack. He has great pace and excellent footwork, making him capable of breaking a big play at any moment.

EDIT: Same blog, June 21, 2013

DCFC’s Fabio Pereira converted a PK in the 64 minute to put the visitors up 2-1, but that lead was short-lived as Bell scored in the 76th off an assist from Keisuke Ohata.

It was the first appearance of the season for Ohata, who recently joined AFC Cleveland from a Japanese club.

“I wasn’t expecting that many supporters,” Ohata said. “I am glad to be here. It’s an honor.”

fknbuflobo, good one to ask, I was at that game where he came in as a second half sub for his first match of the season. Interesting he's a Zip. I figured he was possibly a CSU recruit. Good body control, stays on his feet, good vision is what I got from him in his 15 minutes vs DCFC. He looked a little out of place on the field with AFC Cleveland, unsure of the strategic movements. Language seem to be a bit of difficulty too.

Stopped by practice last night just some thoughts/notes:

- Team has alot of depth this year, Jarred said it will def help early on in the season with those Friday/Sunday Tournaments that they are playing

- Overall they look like another good Akron Zips soccer team, alot of attention to detail, high paced like its been in past years

- Saad Abdul Salaam looks to have added some muscle, not as stringy as a year ago, crosses look crisp, fully expect him to have a big year

- Adam Najem looks like another freshmen stud, look for him to prolly be the only freshmen to start at the start of the year

- Clint Caso the transfer from New Hampshire looks to have a great left foot, watch out on set pieces. May push Robbie for that starting job at outside back.

- Speaking of Robbie Derschang, still battling a bit of an injury. Should be 100 percent come the start of the regular season

- Gallego Quinn and Stevenson look good as expected. Quinn and Stevenson are battling small little injuries but both practiced, so no need to be concerned.

- Finally Robby Dambrot caught my eye. The kid is a hard worker, did great on the 1 v 1 defending drill.

Team has alot of good pieces there already, alot of new faces as well, should be a fun year, should be no drop off with Jarred in charge.

I went to the intra-squad scrimmage yesterday. While I'll leave most of the observations to others who have a better eye for that sort of thing, I can say that the team is quite deep in talent. We might not see too many freshmen getting playing time this season, including the international players.

As expected, the possesion-oriented style is still there, and both sides displayed good spacing and crisp passing.

Just watching them, I had a gut feeling that this team will be really, really good. I feel like they will come out and just dominate every team they face. I haven't felt this way about the soccer team since 2009 and 2010.

This may have been brought up somewhere already but I couldn't find it. Does anyone have an idea of what the Starting 11 will look like for the first game?

There is no way I can pass on your question! ;)

This is just an idea, a guess really. We have few if any great players, but the worst guy on the roster is extremely good. So, the ceiling may be down a bit, but the floor has definitely been raised. This is a very deep squad.

***********Brenes***********

Portillos****************Quinn

Stevenson**************Foldesy

************Souto************

Derschang*********Abdul-Salaam

*****Gallego*****Souders******

************Pina*************

My projected lineup favors upper classmen and is nearly the same one that took the field @ Maryland in April. After that match, Embick said, "we proved our depth today." So, I am almost certainly wrong about our starting 11. But this is just the way I see it. Of the freshmen, Souto and Najem impress most, in that order.

For me, the best battle for PT is transfer Clint Caso pushing Robbie Derschang at LB.

I would be remiss not to mention the strong showing of Zac Portillos, both last spring and in pre-season practice. After not much PT the last two seasons, he is making it difficult for the coaching staff to sit him. Nice work out of the senior!

So you think we're looking at a 4-3-3?

Yes, definitely.

There was a public Q&A with Coach Embick after the scrimmage, microphone and all. I specifically asked "what system/formation best suits our available talent?" Without hesitation, he answered "4-3-3."

I half expected him to say "4-2-3-1," like USMNT. That system is so en vogue throughout the world.