2006 Season Predictions

AK-Zips

This is just my biased perspective, but nobody is really giving the Zips any credit this year. Yes, they are lucky to get to the MACC last year, but the fact is that they won it! The 2006 Zips are way better than last year team. This is the year that Brookhart said when he first came here that this was year he thought he could win the MAC. If you think Biggs is a loss in the ground game you are mistaken. We will be better running the ball with our o-line back. Our passing game will not suffer. MCB record setter Jabari Arthur will be leading the air attack at 6'4" 220 lbs. There isn't a DB in the MAC that can match him. Our defense will be faster, big and stronger with possibly the best DL in the state when you look at Jermaine Reid, Kiki Gonzalez, and past ‘uber-recruit’ Nate Robinson who was considered a top ten recruit regardless of position coming out of high school.The Zips will go 9-3 (7-1).@ Penn State 9/2/06 L – 34-21 they just have too much for us@ NC State 9/9/06 L – 24-20 watch out for this could be an upset special@ CMU 9/16/06 W – 31-24 closer than it should be, but we pull it outNorth Texas 9/23/06 W – 34-17 home opener provides a big pick-me-up@ Can't 9/30/06 W 31-10 just the usual beat down@ Cincinnati 10/07/06 W 20-17 off day, but the Zips prevailMiami 10/21/06 W 34-31 we owe them on Homecoming@ Toledo 10/28/06 L 27-20 Rockets win the home gameBGSU 11/04/06 W 24-23 last week’s loss still hurt but came throughBuffalo 11/09/06 W 38-17 not even as close as the score@ Ohio 11/16/06 W 24-17 why is Ohio getting any hype?WMU 11/24/06 W 27-20 East already wrapped up but till winMACC: Akron vs. Toledo W 38-31 revenge takenMCB: AkronGMAC: ToledoToronto: NIUBack-2-Back :macc:

I can't wait for the season to start. I am probably not as optomistic as AK-Zip but here is my pre-summer picks.PSU 45 Akron 10 Penn State rolls and the Zips don't look greatNCST 35 Akron 17 I think the Zips are in it till the start of the fourth quarterCMU 28 Akron 24 CMU is improved and a tough road gameNTex 3 Akron 31 Home game starts the turnaround for the ZipsCan't 14 Akron 42 It's Can't-JD will decide what the score will be before the game starts and pulls the starter when necessaryCincy 24 Akron 21 Lose a close one on the roadMiami 28 Akron 30 Should be the game to decide the EastToledo 35 Akron 17 Letdown game after MiamiBGSU 17 Akron 28 Akron rebounds with home winBuffalo 14 Akron 21 Zips in the lead for the EastOhio 7 Akron 31 Did they even have 100 yards offense last year against usWMU 17 Akron 28 Great finish to the season Regular season 7-5MAC Championship Akron 28 NIU 24

PSU 35 Akron 21 Akron 24 NC State 20 Akron 35 CMU 17Akron 43 UNT 14Akron 63 Can't State 7Akron 35 Cincy 12Miami 30 Akron 27, OTAkron 34 Toledo 21Akron 38 BG 14Akron 21 Buffalo 10Akron 42 Ohio 17WMU 30 Akron 27Regular season 9-3, 6-2 in MAC (5-1 East)MAC Championship: Akron 42 WMU 35Motor City Bowl: Akron 45 Minnesota 2110-3, MAC & MCB ChampionsJD Brookhart new Head Coach at Colorado State

I think the Zips get wins v.CMU Can't State Cincy Miami BGSU Buffalo Ohio WMUand get losses v. PSU NC St. N. Texas ToledoThat's 8-4 and hopefully it will be enough for a return trip to the MACC and the MCB.Go Zips! :macc: :rock:

I think the Zips get wins v.CMU Can't State Cincy Miami BGSU Buffalo Ohio WMUand get losses v. PSU NC St. N. Texas ToledoThat's 8-4 and hopefully it will be enough for a return trip to the MACC and the MCB.Go Zips! :macc: :rock:
I'll trade you North Texas for Cincy in the win category. 8-4 is the correct answer though. Akron is 2-0 against Cincy since moving to D-1A. The odds are against 3-0. I have a really good feeling about this upcoming football season. :rock:

@ Penn State 9/2/06 L- 42-21, Joe Pa won't let what Toledo did to them in 2000@ NC State 9/9/06 W – 27-24, The MAC upset special@ CMU 9/16/06 L – 31-24, Toledo found out last year that this team is good at homeNorth Texas 9/23/06 W – 38-24, Zips win big at home opener @ Can't 9/30/06 W 35-7, if you guys lose this game, you should be banned from the MAC title game@ Cincinnati 10/07/06 W 24-21, Good game, but you should find a way to win.Miami 10/21/06 L 34-31, a mild surprise but Miami is good.@ Toledo 10/28/06 L 34-20, Rockets are tough at homeBGSU 11/04/06 W 49-28, BG's defense sucksBuffalo 11/09/06 W 38-17 blowout@ Ohio 11/16/06 W 24-17 Ohio nearly pulls off the upsetWMU 11/24/06 W 24-20, Zips finish 2nd because of early loss to Miami.8-4 overall, 5-3 in MACMACC: Miami vs. ToledoMCB: MiamiGMAC: ToledoToronto: NIU or AkronTough schedule and you have to take into account a conference loss against a school that you should beat. It happens to most MAC schools. The key game is the home one at Miami. That may be for the right to play in Dec.

I think myself and GP1 were the only ones who predicted a MAC Championship prior to last season (I think I was told what a fool I was by half the board), and I'm going to make another bold prediction about this team this year.... 11-1, only loss being at Penn St. We as fans HAVE TO expect greatness out of the Zips. We're the defending MAC Champions, it's time to start thinking like it.

Inthezone Love your optimism, but 11-1????? How many drinks have you pounded down today???
Got asked the same types of questions when I predicted preseason last year a MAC Championship, and was again ridiculed after the Ball St. loss when I said things could still work out for us to get into the MACC and not to give up hope. 11-1 is what I firmly believe we should expect out of these Zips.

I thought Luke Getsy graduated.By the way, we speak from experience, and North Texas is not a team you want to simply write off in the Spring.  The last time Akron hosted a Sun Belt team to open the home slate, the Zips lost.
That was the first home game for a group of guys still trying to adjust to COMPLETELY different offensive and defensive schemes and feeling out a new coaching staff. Had that game been played at the end of '04 it would've looked alot more like the game in '05. From everything I've heard N. Texas is not as talented as the Blue Raider team from last year so we shouldn't have any trouble. However I don't think it'd be wise for the Zips to take anyone lightly (see CMU, Ball St. and Army...we should've been 10-2 last year).

Inthezone  Love your optimism, but 11-1????? How many drinks have you pounded down today???
Got asked the same types of questions when I predicted preseason last year a MAC Championship, and was again ridiculed after the Ball St. loss when I said things could still work out for us to get into the MACC and not to give up hope. 11-1 is what I firmly believe we should expect out of these Zips.
I am with you brother 11-1, Penn State is the only loss I expect the rest are definately beatable in my book....hell if JD can beat NIU twice in the same season and both times be the underdog, then we can go 11-1!!!

For a team not as talented as Middle Tennessee...we've done pretty well. They've never beaten us. Even in our worst year in the brief history of the Sun Belt, we beat them at their place.
Shamefully, that is true, and had we played our best we wouldn't have lost to Akron, but losing to teams you are expected to beat is why you fire your coaches, and that's what we did.

had we played our best we wouldn't have lost to Akron
It is quite a complement to the Zips that, if you don't play your best game, you will lose to us. It wasn't too long ago that teams could afford quite a few mistakes vs. the Zips and still come out with a "W."FYI: I traveled to the MTSU game. If it weren't for the ref "overlooking" your WR's foot being a full 2 feet out of bounds when he caught your lone TD, MTSU probably would not have scored in that game. You guys couldn't stop Hixson...he killed you.

It is quite a complement to the Zips that, if you don't play your best game, you will lose to us. It wasn't too long ago that teams could afford quite a few mistakes vs. the Zips and still come out with a "W."FYI: I traveled to the MTSU game. If it weren't for the ref "overlooking" your WR's foot being a full 2 feet out of bounds when he caught your lone TD, MTSU probably would not have scored in that game. You guys couldn't stop Hixson...he killed you.
C'mon, man. 17 points is hardly unstoppable. While it's true ya'll probably should've shut us out, it's also true we had the worst total offense in Division 1-A. Again, that's why we fired our coaches and brought in a new staff. Losing to Akron at home is unacceptable especially when you are touting an all-time record of 7-1 (now 7-2) against a former member of the Low-VC.

C'mon, man. 17 points is hardly unstoppable. While it's true ya'll probably should've shut us out, it's also true we had the worst total offense in Division 1-A. Again, that's why we fired our coaches and brought in a new staff. Losing to Akron at home is unacceptable especially when you are touting an all-time record of 7-1 (now 7-2) against a former member of the Low-VC.
Alright man I was trying to be courteous but since you've come on here with such a big head and started spewing garbage from another planet, let's just be honest. MTSU is not on Akron's level and probably never will be again. The loss in '04 to you guys, while somewhat understandable due to the new coaching staff, was one of the most embarrassing losses we've had in the last decade. The 17 point victory from last year doesn't begin to tell the story of how lopsided that game was. Honestly it should've been a 30+ point win. Akron has had 3 straight winning seasons, a conference championship, and a bowl appearance. We've had recruiting classes that were the envy of a lot of BCS schools the past two years. MTSU and the Sun Belt conference as a whole are full of little hick town college teams that will never be anything but warmup games for other conferences. Stop trying to put yourself on Akron's level or even above us because you aren't even close, and that's just a fact.

Alright man I was trying to be courteous but since you've come on here with such a big head and started spewing garbage from another planet, let's just be honest. MTSU is not on Akron's level and probably never will be again. The loss in '04 to you guys, while somewhat understandable due to the new coaching staff, was one of the most embarrassing losses we've had in the last decade. The 17 point victory from last year doesn't begin to tell the story of how lopsided that game was. Honestly it should've been a 30+ point win. Akron has had 3 straight winning seasons, a conference championship, and a bowl appearance. We've had recruiting classes that were the envy of a lot of BCS schools the past two years. MTSU and the Sun Belt conference as a whole are full of little hick town college teams that will never be anything but warmup games for other conferences. Stop trying to put yourself on Akron's level or even above us because you aren't even close, and that's just a fact.
It wasn't a 17-point victory. I was a 10-point victory. You just scored 17. And considering we had the best defense in the Sun Belt and a much better defense than most of the teams you played in the MAC, I hardly see how you could've generated 30+ points especially at the beginning of the season when our players were fresh and ready to play.I'm sure your loss to us was one of the most embarrassing in the past 10 years, but seven losses in history would suggest that losing to you this past season was just as embarrassing as our losses to Temple, SEMO, and FAU.I believe that you want to believe that we will never achieve greatness in 1-A. A 2-7 all time record against a Sun Belt team and a winless 0-4 mark against that team on your home field must be something that's hard to deal with for you.I do agree with you about one thing. The MAC is unfortunately better than the Sun Belt IN FOOTBALL, despite the fact that about 7 of the 13 MAC teams couldn't beat their way out of a paper bag.But the Sun Belt does have it's advantages over the MAC in other sports including one Top 3 revenue sport--women's basketball--which is far superior to the Mid-American Conference.Each league has it's specialties. The Sun Belt will get better in time and there will be a day when our teams aren't losing to horrible teams like Eastern Michigan and Ball State.

A 2-7 all time record against a Sun Belt team and a winless 0-4 mark against that team on your home field must be something that's hard to deal with for you.
Dude...Akron left the OVC 20 years ago. Reagan is no longer President....vinyl records have been replaced by CD's, and now MP3's...the Chevette is no longer in production...you must let go of the 80's...move into the 21st century. How did you get Internet access with your Commador 64?

Dude...Akron left the OVC 20 years ago. Reagan is no longer President....vinyl records have been replaced by CD's, and now MP3's...the Chevette is no longer in production...you must let go of the 80's...move into the 21st century. How did you get Internet access with your Commador 64?
You know, Akron lost at home to Middle Tennessee in the 21st century too--just like 20 years ago. Some things never change. By the way, I'm not an old fart. I've never even heard of a Commador 64.