Luis Proenza to retire

Read the most recent issue of Crains Cleveland and there were two articles in it in favor of JT becoming the next prez. If I can find them online I will share.

Here is one.

His argument is UofA is in a crisis and it needs managed. I would argue they are close to a crisis and need a good manager with experience in managing a university in these circumstances, which Tressel has none.

Second argument. Tressel will bring lots of publicity. Be careful of what you wish for. We'll get publicity for about five minutes. Most of it dealing in the fact he is unqualified and the circumstances behind his departure from tosu. Then the media will move on to other things and Tressel can then use his vast experience in the Encouraging Department to right a university in near crisis.

Read the most recent issue of Crains Cleveland and there were two articles in it in favor of JT becoming the next prez. If I can find them online I will share.

For every Ohio press "writer" who might choose to display their blind love affair with him, because anything associated with OSWho can do no wrong, there are dozens of common citizens commenting at the bottom of many of those article who don't quite have the same opinion.

For every Ohio press "writer" who might choose to display their blind love affair with him, because anything associated with OSWho can do no wrong, there are dozens of common citizens commenting at the bottom of many of those article who don't quite have the same opinion.

Most common citizens are idiots.

There are also those who are blinded by the belief that anything associated with "OSWho" can do no right. I find it ironic that the ABJ finally decided to get rid of anonymous commenting and now all those common citizens that filled that section are suddenly quiet. It's much harder to spew hate and vitriol when you have to own up to it with your true identity.

If what you say is true, we should be extremely worried that 2/3 candidates are extremely weak; absolutely terrible ideas.

None of the candidates are great. The dead horse that is Jim Tressel's candidacy continues to be beat, Dr Nykiel has never been involved in administration at a major university, and Dr Scarborough has a mysterious past transgression at DePaul, and is a favorite of the UA faculty which in my book means he shouldn't even be considered.

A large percentage of the anonymous posts on sites like Ohio.com are made by a small number of single-issue zealots regurgitating the same stuff over and over to try to manipulate public opinion. We've had examples like that on ZN.o. Who could forget "Jake" in his many anonymous forms making hundreds of posts here advocating an on-campus arena and crapping all over anyone who disagreed with him? He did the same thing on Ohio.com and any other public forum where he could get away with it. The vast majority of people simply aren't motivated enough by the issues to post comments like that on any forums. A tiny noisy minority will say anything they can get away with to try to make everyone believe their viewpoints represent general public opinion, but they don't.

A large percentage of the anonymous posts on sites like Ohio.com are made by a small number of single-issue zealots regurgitating the same stuff over and over to try to manipulate public opinion. We've had examples like that on ZN.o. Who could forget "Jake" in his many anonymous forms making hundreds of posts here advocating an on-campus arena and crapping all over anyone who disagreed with him? He did the same thing on Ohio.com and any other public forum where he could get away with it. The vast majority of people simply aren't motivated enough by the issues to post comments like that on any forums. A tiny noisy minority will say anything they can get away with to try to make everyone believe their viewpoints represent general public opinion, but they don't.

His supporters are doing the same thing. You don't think they are just as rabid? They are just vastly outnumbered, which is my point.

I'm not exactly sure sometimes where you stand on an issue, Dave. You seem to often walk the fence. But, I hope you aren't indicating that you might be siding with those who are naïve enough to think that, if he is hired, the U of A will not be the subject of laughter across the nation.

The posts presently left by "single-minded zealots", as you call them, are just the tip of the iceberg.

Of course there are a few rabid crusaders who religiously promote opposite positions on any issue. Just because one of those tiny, noisy, special interest groups makes more posts and hurls nastier insults than the other does not mean they better reflect general public opinion.

I think it's a vocal minority too. "Laughter" shouldn't be a factor in the hire.. If they truly believe someone is the right candidate, the laughter isn't going to last very long.

I think you're gravely underestimating just how many people think hiring JT is a bad idea. And I respectably disagree. The laughter IS going to last a very, very long time. "Laughter" is important...its a reflection on public opinion. And note, when I talk about people expressing their belief about what a joke it is that JT is a finalist (or Einstein forbid, president) its not from forums...its from talking to actual people, most of which aren't UA grads.

Even if they believe he is the right candidate, I guess we can't fault them. But if that is the case we should re-asses the process of how trustees are appointed. If they are really willing to believe that JT is the BEST candidate to do the job, or was the best candidate that they could find, then there is something seriously wrong with the board of trustees. It's just compete and utter incompetence.

If they are really willing to believe that JT is the BEST candidate to do the job, or was the best candidate that they could find, then there is something seriously wrong with the board of trustees. It's just compete and utter incompetence.

I think he is the candidate they wanted so they stacked the deck in his favor. The charade of the hiring process continues, but it is all for decoration.

Something wrong with the Board of Trustees? Hmmmm. The Chair and both Vice Chairs not having degrees from UofA is a concern of mine. Four of nine do not have degrees from UofA (honorary degrees don't count). Unfortunately, donating to political campaigns can land one a Trustee position and that is the worst way to land one.

The real question now is, what to do about the Trustees after Tressel gets hired. JT won't stay around forever so eventually a new President will need to be hired. Hopefully, the Board will have people in executive positions by that point so this disaster doesn't happen again.

I'm curious. Is there anyone out there who believes this search process is a serious one that is going to land someone other than Tressel in the President's office?

• Like 2

Skip, my position is that we are all human, that all humans are inherently flawed, and that we live in an imperfect world. I don't expect perfection from anyone. In the end it comes down to choosing the least flawed of many possible imperfect solutions. The selection of Jim Tressel would produce more national reaction than either of the other candidates because he's more well known with the general public for coaching college football. For better or worse, there's more national press coverage of college football coaches than executives who run universities. That's one aspect to consider. I continue to believe that the selection must be made on what's best overall for the University of Akron. That means weighing all the pros and cons of each candidate.

It's true that I walk the fence on issues where I don't believe I have enough evidence to convince me that one side of the fence is clearly the best option. The question is not whether the selection of Jim Tressel would produce some unflattering media coverage. That's a given. The question is whether he's more likely to offset that by producing more positives for UA in the long run than the other candidates. I believe the best evidence of that is in the way he's performed at UA over the past two years. I don't have access to all the detailed data on his day-to-day performance that the selection committee has, so all I ask is that they ignore all the Jim Tressel lovers and haters and focus objectively on his performance to date at UA.

For what it's worth, all the Toledo people I've talked to can't wait to get rid of him.

"Criticism is the price of leadership."

When people make hard decisions, they upset people. The problem with universities is you deal with kids and a lot of people on faculty who behave like kids. Children are easily upset. Just try to take a piece of candy away from one of them. It isn't a popularity contest.

• Like 1

"Criticism is the price of leadership."

When people make hard decisions, they upset people. The problem with universities is you deal with kids and a lot of people on faculty who behave like kids. Children are easily upset. Just try to take a piece of candy away from one of them. It isn't a popularity contest.

So what reasoning do you have for supporting him? Just because he wrote a dissertation on some nonsense that has nothing at all to do with academia? Is it because he has a cheesy self-promotional website?

You say he isn't liked because of leadership? What leadership? I don't like this guy. Everything about him just feels wrong.

You say he isn't liked because of leadership? What leadership? I don't like this guy. Everything about him just feels wrong.

You could just as easily be describing JT, however everything about him just doesn't feel wrong?

The bottom line here is: This just about has to be the WORST group of candidates that we could have.

You could just as easily be describing JT, however everything about him just doesn't feel wrong?

You're right. I could be describing any of the candidates.

One thing I took from today's article is that the faculty at UA is overstating the president's dutoes. They're putting every responsibility on him, leaving none for the VPs and deans. The next president needs to manage those people, not do their jobs for them. But of course the faculty senate should be expected to not have any clue about how things really work.

The bottom line here is: This just about has to be the WORST group of candidates that we could have.

You answered Zach's question for me. Thanks. This is not the best group of candidates. Maybe it's normal for a mid major school like Akron, but the field isn't all that great.

The guy from Toledo certainly has some baggage, but at least he as been at a high level making hard decisions. Tressel has been at a high level making decisions about the Encouraging Department. There is a huge difference there in the type of experience one would need to face the challenges of solving the "building process" overspending.

It seems to me Tressel's strengths center around him being a likable guy and glad handing. He is the feel good candidate.

The guy from Toledo seems to be the guy who has made tough decisions and ruffled some feathers along the way. He is the prick candidate. Right now, UofA may need a prick to straighten some things out.

not do their jobs for them. But of course the faculty senate should be expected to not have any clue about how things really work.

I'm not sure where your underlying disdain for faculty comes from...I would expect faculty to have some sort of clue about how administration works, because they have to work within the system that may be administered badly. I come from a family of educators (or faculty you might call them), some of which were administrators themselves later. Faculty absolutely can and often do have a very good idea about how things "really work". In fact, its rather easy to see when administration is going badly.

There's a festering disconnect between administration and faculty at UA which is not good.

Balsy and Skip, maybe it's just the crowd I run with, but I would say they are 10-1 in favor of hiring Tressel. I also know quite a few people at UA who have had a direct working relationship with JT and they all love the guy. They all say he is an intelligent guy who works tirelessly to accomplish whatever goals he sets for himself and the university. That sounds like a leader to me and that's what we need. There is more to this job than being a hatchet man or some kind of professorial egghead.

Balsy and Skip, maybe it's just the crowd I run with, but I would say they are 10-1 in favor of hiring Tressel. I also know quite a few people at UA who have had a direct working relationship with JT and they all love the guy. They all say he is an intelligent guy who works tirelessly to accomplish whatever goals he sets for himself and the university. That sounds like a leader to me and that's what we need. There is more to this job than being a hatchet man or some kind of professorial egghead.

Then I guess you've now joined the much-criticized "people I know all agree" method for trying to prove a point on Zips nation.

I'll be fair about the people I know, and say that those who are OSU honks think he's a great guy who's make mistakes, and they want him to get the job. Those who care about Akron, have an association with Akron as an alum or supporter, and everyone else outside of any of those categories all think it's a joke that he's even being considered.