2015 SVSM G Josh Williams commits to Akron

Coleman Crawford era.

Just curious, did you actually attend any of those games? Mark Alberts set the NCAA record for three-point baskets, making over 100 in a season three times as I recall. Roy Coleman was a talent that could have been all-MAC had he gotten the opportunity. The only thing that kept Akron from winning the Mid-Continent was the near complete lack of a post game. But they were exciting. That said, Deji might have competed for playing time on those teams, not sure.

Just curious, did you actually attend any of those games? Mark Alberts set the NCAA record for three-point baskets, making over 100 in a season three times as I recall. Roy Coleman was a talent that could have been all-MAC had he gotten the opportunity. The only thing that kept Akron from winning the Mid-Continent was the near complete lack of a post game. But they were exciting. That said, Deji might have competed for playing time on those teams, not sure.

He might have competed for playing time? Since you need specifics, I graduated in 96 when we won a grand total of zero MAC games. I had to look it up, but we won 9 MAC games in our first four years in the conference. Yep, tons of talent on those squads.

"Exciting" is not a term I would used to describe the Coleman Crawford era. That said, I saw Alberts several times, and he was a heck of a shooter. Roy Coleman could play, too.

"Exciting" is not a term I would used to describe the Coleman Crawford era. That said, I saw Alberts several times, and he was a heck of a shooter. Roy Coleman could play, too.

As Huggins players gradually departed, Crawford's teams eroded. It was a horrific era in Zips Basketball history.

• 2 weeks later...

Williams and a previous topic of conversation, Jeremiah Jackson, had a nice head-to-head last year in the district tournament. Williams more than held his own against a very good player 2 years older. He could be the real deal in a couple years.

(Jackson recently announced he will be attending a Missouri JC, btw.)

Williams and a previous topic of conversation, Jeremiah Jackson, had a nice head-to-head last year in the district tournament. Williams more than held his own against a very good player 2 years older. He could be the real deal in a couple years.

(Jackson recently announced he will be attending a Missouri JC, btw.)

I heard that was a great game. Jeremiah was 1st-Team D-1 All-Ohio while Joshua was 2nd-Team. I believe Joshua was the only sophomore on either the 1st or 2nd teams.

I see Joshua and I have to remind myself the kid is only 16-years old. Kid just got his driver's license. He's the real deal. Besides Zeke, Joshua will be the highest-ranked UA recruit thus far.

Btw, have you ever seen Joshua's younger brother, Jonathan play? I've heard very good things.

I heard that was a great game. Jeremiah was 1st-Team D-1 All-Ohio while Joshua was 2nd-Team. I believe Joshua was the only sophomore on either the 1st or 2nd teams.

I see Joshua and I have to remind myself the kid is only 16-years old. Kid just got his driver's license. He's the real deal. Besides Zeke, Joshua will be the highest-ranked UA recruit thus far.

Btw, have you ever seen Joshua's younger brother, Jonathan play? I've heard very good things.

Actually, both were 2nd team --OHSAA info

Akron better hope "daddy" doesn't get in the way and force his kid to go to a college daddy wants like he just did for Josh's high school career. Forcing his son to miss half the season of his junior year and never getting to play on the same team with his brother, which was a very big deal to Josh from folks I have talked too.

Really is a shame how many parents live the lives they wanted through their kids. If that is the case.

• 6 months later...

This year's SVSM team was a bit of a conundrum. The whole didn't seem to equal the sum of the parts.

I will give Williams a bit of a pass, given that he was making the transition from the familiar to the new. Nevertheless, he didn't make a quantum leap between sophomore and junior seasons. I hope he commits himself to making a big step forward next year, which in reality means this spring and summer.

Many of this year's Zips' woes can be traced back to what should have been the senior class, i.e., the recruiting class of 2010 -- Green, Egner and Euton -- none of whom made significant contributions before leaving early. That kind of thing can't happen.

This year's SVSM team was a bit of a conundrum. The whole didn't seem to equal the sum of the parts.

I will give Williams a bit of a pass, given that he was making the transition from the familiar to the new. Nevertheless, he didn't make a quantum leap between sophomore and junior seasons. I hope he commits himself to making a big step forward next year, which in reality means this spring and summer.

I agree concerning this year's St.V/M team. I watched the Ohio D-2 state championship game and was very underwhelmed by the athleticism displayed by both teams. There's no way St.V/M should have lost to Columbus Bishop Waterson. Though they did last year too.

Anyway, in this article http://www.ohio.com/blogs/varsity-letters/varsity-letters-1.279974/st-v-m-boys-basketball-coach-dru-joyce-ii-comments-on-starters-reserves-1.474604

coach Dru Joyce II comments on St.V's starters. It seems that he was pretty adamant about Jarel Woolridge running the point, which is Josh William's best position. Maybe next year Josh will show more when he runs the point full time?

Not that Joshua had a bad year. In fact, in the state semi-final game, Josh had St.V's 1st 3 points & 2 assists, but then got into a bit of foul trouble & didn't play much in the 2nd quarter, when Waterson pulled away to a big lead.

Nice evaluation of Josh by his coach. The Zips can certainly make use of "a settling force" who "doesn't take a lot of bad shots."

Josh Williams, 6-foot-2, junior, guard

“Josh is a University of Akron recruit. Josh has come in and been a settling force for our team he does most of the ball-handing in the front court and gets us into some of our offense . . . He is a very proficient scorer and he is shooting exceptionally well from behind the 3-point line. He is shooting over 50 percent. Not too many guys do that. A great thing about him is he doesn’t take a lot of bad shots. He takes good shots.”