New look for Zips to debut at home opener?

g-mann17

I also think it would have been cool if they had made a bold statement, just like basketball did. Basketball has some bad ass looking alternate unis. But, either way people are going to complain - "too much gold... not enough gold... kangaroos look stupid... bring back the logo from 1918... etc..." At least they tried something new, so kudos for that. Although it was kind of a safe move, at least it was an original idea and specific to the school.

- Most important quality of the new helmet: Zips are undefeated while wearing them...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Okay, so we are the zips which is the nickname representing our mascot the kangaroo. SO now we are the Zips, Kangaroos, and Zippers? wow talk about identity crisis. This doesn't even bring up the fact that the design is flat out retarded.

Totally disagree. For one thing, we have been the Zippers for a long time. The combination of Zips and zippers and kangaroos is just the way we are. The design is unique without being a stretch. It plays to the nickname's heritage. I thought it looked good from the stands and the words give a reason for the "zipper" to be open and also tie back to heritage.

When I first saw the tease about a change I thought zipper stripe (so did others, I know) but wasn't sure what it would look like when actually executed. I thought they pulled it off well. In fact, I would like to see ball caps that mimic the helmet produced for sale.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Okay, so we are the zips which is the nickname representing our mascot the kangaroo. SO now we are the Zips, Kangaroos, and Zippers? wow talk about identity crisis. This doesn't even bring up the fact that the design is flat out retarded.

Along with the identity crisis - this kind of zipper isn't even why we're the Zips. Why further confuse the issue?

Hated the helmets, loved the game. JMU looked good, but Akron fought back and won. Let's see where Pohl goes from here.

Totally disagree. For one thing, we have been the Zippers for a long time. The combination of Zips and zippers and kangaroos is just the way we are. The design is unique without being a stretch. It plays to the nickname's heritage. I thought it looked good from the stands and the words give a reason for the "zipper" to be open and also tie back to heritage.

When I first saw the tease about a change I thought zipper stripe (so did others, I know) but wasn't sure what it would look like when actually executed. I thought they pulled it off well. In fact, I would like to see ball caps that mimic the helmet produced for sale.

I was hoping for something a little more than a zipper down the helmet. Who knows, with all the liberals out there we will lose our nickname because it is offensive.......just sayin' ;)

1. zipperhead - A derogatory term used in reference to people of Asian descent. It is said to have been coined during the Korean war by frontline troops whom had run over enemy troops in jeeps. The soldiers claimed that the tire tracks from the jeeps left a pattern resembling that of a closed zipper along the corpse.

Good win though boys!

New helmet is a joke. Just somebody's mistaken idea that a gimmicky marketing change will actually matter to anyone. This is just another reason why our detractors will have more ammunition to make fun of us with. There is no basis in tradition for this. No one at Akron calls themselves the Zippers, so having a zipper on the helmet is pathetic.

Are we that desperate for attention or does this signal we have no real brand to offer? Is our brand now losing football and desperate marketing schemes. Please spare me. We stand for more than this. This is what I would expect from K.E.N.T. But lately they are taking the high road from us when it comes to football. :unsure:

Along with the identity crisis - this kind of zipper isn't even why we're the Zips. Why further confuse the issue?

Hated the helmets, loved the game. JMU looked good, but Akron fought back and won. Let's see where Pohl goes from here.

I'm glad you brought this up.

The "Zipper" was a type of shoe. We changed it to ZIPS because we did NOT want it to be associated with the fly on a pair of pants, which was emerging as an apparel item in America.

So, our nickname was never, ever attached to a Clothing Zipper. In fact, we were trying to avoid that association.

I'll be honest that I was very underwhelmed when I first saw the photo of the new helmet posted on Facebook. I was expecting either a white helmet w/ a blue "Z" or a matte blue helmet with a gold "Z."

Also, when you see the helmet up close (Facebook, twitter) it does look kind of silly. However, when I got home I began watching the replay of the game on ESPN3 & the helmets looked really good on t.v. Nowadays that may be what's most important?

Though I agree...I must chime in. The Name "Zips" and our Mascot the Kangaroo originated in two different places...We are the AKRON ZIPPERS we've shortened it to Zips because that's cooler/hipper? ZIPPER is after a product made by BF Goodrich when the factory was opened. C'mon Zips fans...you guys should know this! We ARE Zippers AND our mascot is a Kangaroo...

Agreed. It's only an identity crisis for people who don't give a rats ass about the heritage and tradition of their school.

The blue in the zipper didn't even match the navy blue of the A-Roo and uniforms.

How about that zipper in gold on a white helmet, blue facemask with "Akron" in our current sports font written on the sides. THAT would be something.

The lettering inside the blue is darker blue to match the uniform color. i agree the lighter blue threw me at first but I can see the reason for it. I like the idea of a gold zipper on a white (or blue) helmet. Then use dark blue inside the zipper and gold lettering.

The lettering inside the blue is darker blue to match the uniform color. i agree the lighter blue threw me at first but I can see the reason for it. I like the idea of a gold zipper on a white (or blue) helmet. Then use dark blue inside the zipper and gold lettering.

Oops - wrong. Went from faulty memory. There is dark blue background behind the lighter blue letters and then the lighter blue extends back. Still, there is a reason for the lighter color but it can look odd. Gold zipper would be nice.

Though I agree...I must chime in. The Name "Zips" and our Mascot the Kangaroo originated in two different places...We are the AKRON ZIPPERS we've shortened it to Zips because that's cooler/hipper? ZIPPER is after a product made by BF Goodrich when the factory was opened. C'mon Zips fans...you guys should know this! We ARE Zippers AND our mascot is a Kangaroo...

I'm fully aware of the "zippers" being the original nickname as noted when I also stated that the lyrics to the original fight song is says "Zzzip go the zippers"(in which the university now hands out the lyrics as being "Zip go the Zips") but that is a reference to the Goodrich overshoe and the rubber industry in Akron. It was never meant to be a reference to the zipper on my pants. It's all about brand and everytime you add stuff like this it gets watered down. At the end of the day I just don't like the design it was a cheap addition that was a change to say they made a change but imo doesnt do it for me.

I'm fully aware of the "zippers" being the original nickname as noted when I also stated that the lyrics to the original fight song is says "Zzzip go the zippers"(in which the university now hands out the lyrics as being "Zip go the Zips") but that is a reference to the Goodrich overshoe and the rubber industry in Akron. It was never meant to be a reference to the zipper on my pants. It's all about brand and everytime you add stuff like this it gets watered down. At the end of the day I just don't like the design it was a cheap addition that was a change to say they made a change but imo doesnt do it for me.

The over shoe was called a zipper because it had a zipper.

The fight song hasn't changed in about a hundred years.

I'm not a fan of the wholesale uniform changes other schools have done, like the day glow colors and trendy patterns. It sounds just like the newbs who want to change the Cleveland Browns colors and add a stupid logo to the helmets. You don't see the New York Yankees going 70's Houston Astros noise or the Chicago Bears going Jacksonville Gag-uars garb. Some teams see the class in heritage.

I do like alternate throwback jerseys (except the Steelers, those things make me throw up, not back). That would be cool. And give the people who want an A on the helmet something to look forward to.

But I'd rather they not screw with any of it, and put the money toward recruiting...

The general consensus on the helmet seems to be "fail", so hopefully it was a one-time deal. The marketing department generally does a good job though.

Our website gives out this definition of a Zip.

What Is A Zip?

According to my education at Akron though, "one of the more unique nicknames in college sports" is poor English. I was taught something is either unique or it isn't, there is no degree of being unique. Accurate?

The general consensus on the helmet seems to be "fail", so hopefully it was a one-time deal. The marketing department generally does a good job though.

What Is A Zip?

According to my education at Akron though, "one of the more unique nicknames in college sports" is poor English. I was taught something is either unique or it isn't, there is no degree of being unique. Accurate?

If you have a multitude of unique things in the same category, then you would be able to say something is more or less unique within that category.

Also, the general consensus is quiet, there are a few people on here or twitter that made noise (mostly from opposing schools on twitter).

What Is A Zip?

English graduate student here. There are no degrees of being unique. 'Zips' is a unique nickname, not a very unique nickname.

Language evolves over time. Unique was originally used only in the absolute sense. Dictionary.com has a usage note for unique that explains how it has evolved into multiple uses:

Many authors of usage guides, editors, teachers, and others feel strongly that such “absolute” words as complete, equal, perfect, and especially unique cannot be compared because of their “meaning”: a word that denotes an absolute condition cannot be described as denoting more or less than that absolute condition. However, all such words have undergone semantic development and are used in a number of senses, some of which can be compared by words like more, very, most, absolutely, somewhat, and totally and some of which cannot. The earliest meanings of unique when it entered English around the beginning of the 17th century were “single, sole” and “having no equal.” By the mid-19th century unique had developed a wider meaning, “not typical, unusual,” and it is in this wider sense that it is compared: The foliage on the late-blooming plants is more unique than that on the earlier varieties. The comparison of so-called absolutes in senses that are not absolute is standard in all varieties of speech and writing.