MAC Talent [All in one place]

Dr Z

Other than rooting for my Zips, I enjoy watching top talent in the MAC that goes on to play in the NFL. I love rooting for MAC players in the NFL.

Here is a nice list by hustlebelt of all the MAC talent playing in the NFL. There are 71 players from current MAC schools on NFL rosters.

The intention of this thread is to follow this years players in the MAC that have the chance to play in the NFL. The thread will also inform ZN members of the top talent to watch as the season progresses. I was wondering if there are other ZN members that enjoy following and would enjoy posting updates throughout the season.

Khalil Mack Buffalo

Unfortunately, or fortunately, however you look at it, the Zips do not play Buffalo this year. We won't get a chance to see them defend a supposed future first round pick Khalil Mack. Here is a nice mention about his effort last week in Columbus. Mel Kiper has Khalil #14 overall on his big board. (you need an in sub to see this link)

Dri Archer Ken+ State

Dri passed on the NFL draft last year in favor of a Heisman campaign this season. So far, not so good. He got injured on the second play from scrimmage. Most articles won't be able to be linked here at ZN since the word Ken+ gets changed to can't automatically. That's just what happens when your Akron's rival. Dri comes to Infocision on November 2nd.

Jordon Lynch NIU

Jordon is listed just outside the top 10 NFL QB prospects right now, but isn't that where most MAC NFL QB's get listed at this time of year? Jordon was solid in his first game this year beating B10 opponent Iowa 30-27 with an impressive performance. The Zips travel to Northern Illinois on October 12.

Good topic, Dr. Z.

Mack certainly looks like a truly dominant MAC defender, well deserving of the preseason hype.

One player who might have made this list is CMU RB Zurlon Tipton who unfortunately broke his ankle against Michigan and is out for the year (although there is talk of him getting a 6th year).

Toledo WR Bernard Reedy is a big talent.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steeler fans have Dri on their mind here and here.

Mel Kiper is listing Khalil Mack as his number three overall right now. McShay is the same.

Jordan's less than stellar throwing at the combine has some questioning his NFL QB ability.

The godfather sees him trying RB. (article from way before combine 10/13, you don't get the godfather name by mistake)

Lynch seems to be open to "anything that gets him in the pros."

“Kind of in my head, I’d like to stay on offense — running back, slot receiver — I feel like I need the ball in my hands. I’m a playmaker,” Lynch said Friday at the NFL scouting combine. “Some teams, there’s some questions whether I can play safety or not. And, I mean, that would be great and everything, but I feel like offense (is better for me).”

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an article on Anthony Holmes' preparations for Akron's Pro Day, which is apparently this Friday. There are some interesting quotes regarding his time as a Zip.

After my sophomore year our coach was fired, and coach (Terry) Bowden came in and I told them I wanted to play safety not corner. So they moved me to safety.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that article JZ84...and it made me realize just HOW MUCH I LOVE BOWDEN! We're so lucky to have him as a coach, he's a real guy who truly understands college football.

Now I heard a rumor a couple of months ago that it was Jim Tressel who set up the interview with Akron Athletics and Bowden. Anyone know if that's true or not?

Balsy, haven't heard for sure if Jim Tressel helped set up the interview with Coach Bowden. But that was right around the time that UA was talking to JT, and UA released an official statement saying that while JT was not interested in the coaching position himself, he was assisting in the search. It makes a lot of sense that JT would have seen Coach Bowden as a leading candidate.

Anyone know if that's true or not?

Not true, a representative from a search firm for college coaches placed a call to him.

“So the guy says, ‘I’m calling on behalf of the University of Akron. Would you be interested in the job?’”Bowden leans back in his chair. He told me he’d had his eye on the Akron job for several years, though it is an odd job for anyone to covet: Before the school chased Bowden, they went after a former Zips player and assistant coach named Paul Winters, who led Wayne State to the Division II national championship game last season. And Winters chose to stay at Wayne State instead. Only then, Bowden says, did he get the phone call from the search firm. “So I tell him, ‘Yes, I’m interested,’” he says. “And the guy goes, ‘Really?’”

Jim Tressel could have helped set up the interview by recommending to UA that Coach Bowden should be one of their top targets. UA could have then asked the search firm to call Coach Bowden to get a reading on his interest. We really don't know all the fine details, just what we've read in news stories.

Getting back on topic, I heard a scout speaking good things about Alex Neutz this weekend.

Drafttek is listing 11 players being drafted from the MAC.

In order, Khalil Mack, Jimmie Ward, Keith Wenning, Zac Kerin, Zac Murphy, Alex Neutz, Ken Bishop, David Fluellen, Colby Way, Jordan Lynch and Willie Snead.

Wenning drafted before Lynch? This guy was more impressed by Wenning than Lynch when both played the Zips.

The Godfather of the draft, predicting the same as me?!?! Could be the next Browns QB!?!?

User Actions
Following
9ce4fa46f74cd6c52649ceecd8c75482_bigger.Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt

Wenning is smartest QB in draft. Arm strength questions but not bad. Pretty good player. Think he'll surprise about where he lands in draft.

User Actions
Following
9ce4fa46f74cd6c52649ceecd8c75482_bigger.Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt

Ball St. QB Keith Wenning working out for #Jaguars today, #Browns GM, QB coach Saturday. Has 9 workouts scheduled, includ #Patriots

• 3 weeks later...

Mel's new top 100 in the draft.

3. Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: Still wouldn't shock me if he went No. 1. His athleticism and versatility limit questions about his competition level.

50. Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois: I'm not sure there's a better cover safety in the draft in terms of instincts and breaking quickly on the ball path.

59. Dri Archer, RB, Can't State: The fastest player in the draft, the pint-sized Archer will get Darren Sproles comps, as he'll be used all over.

• 2 weeks later...

Steeler fans have Dri on their mind here and here.

Looks like some Steeler fans nailed the Dri Archer pick back in March. Will be interesting if he is healthy, and how Haley uses him. The Steelers are going to try out the "super hero" returning kicks. The Steelers didn't stop with one Mac player, they also drafted UMass TE Rob Blanchflower.

Trent Baalke Scouted Ward at MAC Title Game

Keith Wenning gets drafted by the Ravens while Jordan Lynch doesn't get drafted, but signs with Bears. This super scout was more impressed by Wenning back when everybody was on the Lynch bandwagon last year.

Jonathan Newsom was selected by the Colts.

Willie Snead signs with the Browns. This is a good spot for him IMO. I liked him a lot when the Zips played him. He was consistently open all day.

The Mac had eight players selected. Another 21 players signed as free agents with teams..so far. Make that 22 including the Zips Pughsley to the Dallas Cowboys.