Game#5 Bowling Green

lance99

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people have no interest at this point. And, will not show up for games unless this program wins early in the season.

I totally agree. Following this football team from far way is brutal. I don't know how some of you put yourselves through it. There has to be more than drinking beer in a parking lot. There has to be more than anticipation for the year they finally put it together. Anyone who walks away from following the team cannot be described as a fair weather fan. Too many of those people have been brutalized by this program over they years.

As far as to when it will turn around? Who really knows? It could be in two years or it could be in twelve years. I think we are on the right track, but we have all thought that several times in the past. Give people a reason to come to games and they will. Then, give them a reason to come back

There has to be more than drinking beer in a parking lot.
We have been lucky this season. For one, the tailgating weather has been awesome. Other than the Michigan noon start, tailgating times have been great. The entertainment value is there. The offense and defense have scoring potential on any play. Game day activities seem to be there also. There is plenty to do with the kids if you bring your family. The stadium is beautiful, and you can enjoy a beer at the game. They did a nice job on the end zone grass, it's fun to check out if you have never sat down there. I'm fairly confident that we are on the verge of winning. I can see the progression. Now if you were to post this about are last coach, you are right, other than making good coin on the games, I probably should have had my head examined. It's all about entertainment for me, and yes, this year has been entertaining...so far.

One more positive I will mention, when the last coach was here, I was embarrassed to ask anybody to come and watch the team. Now I'm happy to invite others and know they will see some entertaining football and have a good time. Now if we can get some upsets, I won't have to ask people, they will ask me.

Last year, Akron was ahead 10-0 at the end of the second quarter on a beautiful sunny Saturday. Then, Caponi went down and out of the game right before the half. BG decided at the break to use their big talented offensive line to run the ball right at us with our best D lineman out and not much depth in reserve. They kept the ball away from our offense and went on a 24-0 run in the second half. Easy adjustment for BG. This will not happen again this year. This game looks to be exciting for the fans with turnovers, big plays, and special teams playing a big part in what will determine the outcome. I think this game could also be determined by a gutsy coach call or two. When Terry's dad, Bobby Bowden, was at West Virginia and Florida State, he was known for going 'all in' in big games. Let's see who's the strategic gambler in this one.

One more positive I will mention, when the last coach was here, I was embarrassed to ask anybody to come and watch the team. Now I'm happy to invite others and know they will see some entertaining football and have a good time. Now if we can get some upsets, I won't have to ask people, they will ask me.

That's a good point. The last coach was a joke. BTW, was any staff worse than what Weis assembled at Notre Dame?

But yes, the last coach built a team that you just couldn't take pride in. Maybe there were all nice kids, but they weren't MAC players. Apologies to those still on the roster! It's still going to take some time to recover from that, but at least we have a real coaching staff.

Fire When Ready...By Elton Alexander, The Plain Dealer

BG scored 34 or more points in 3 of 4 games, while the Zips scored 24 points vs. UM, 30 vs. LL and 35 in a victory over JMU.

BG qb Johnson is the 3rd qb in the MAC, averaging 250.0 y/g. Pohl is 5th at 218.2 y/g.

The Zips are 9th in total defense, BG is 1st in the MAC in total defense

GT on TB's approach heading into BG.

There are also some long awaited answers regarding play-calling in there:

Bowden and offensive coordinator A.J. Milwee collaborate to script the first plays and call them throughout the game, he said. Changes in what’s called might be in order.

Thanks, GT!! Maybe you could ask about tempo the next time you get a chance?

GT on TB's approach heading into BG.

There are also some long awaited answers regarding play-calling in there:

Thanks, GT!! Maybe you could ask about tempo the next time you get a chance?

So do they collaborate to just call the first plays or do they collaborate in calling them throughout the game? If not, who calls them throughout the game?

I agree. That is as clear as mud. I think I can read between the lines though. ;)

Great point by coach:

But Bickley’s five-catch, 79-yard, two-touchdown performance last Saturday makes Bowden sure of one thing: Things are about to change for the receiver. “He’s also going to be facing more pressure now,” he said. “The next team we play will see how well he did in that game and they’re going to say, ‘OK we have to have a plan and make sure we have [someone] out there to cover him.’ ”

“The next team we play will see how well he did in that game and they’re going to say, ‘OK we have to have a plan and make sure we have [someone] out there to cover him.’ ”

Anyone else remember the UCONN game at the Rubber Bowl where we had them beat, and their tight end caught 9 straight passes on the final drive to win the game?

Any time I hear a coach assume the other team will make adjustments to stop something obvious, I harken back to that night.

My vocal cords have never quite recovered from my screaming at Joe Tresey that final 2 minutes...

If the first plays are scripted, say the first two drives of each game on offense, then here is what we're getting out of that strategy:

11 plays, 39 yards, Punt

3 plays, 9 yards, Punt

3 plays, 4 yards, Punt

2 plays, -9 yards, INT

4 plays, 12 yards, Punt

8 plays, 26 yards, Punt

3 plays, 0 yards, INT

4 plays, 15 yards, INT

Maybe, instead of scripting plays, Akron's gameplan should be to just take what the defense gives them, like what they do for the rest of the game. Read the D, and adjust to it instead of trying to force things.

I think coaches sometimes get caught up in watching too much film of the other team. They decide a game plan based on that film and then when it's game time they are too stubborn to change. Last Saturday it appeared that the staff thought we could be successful attacking the perimeter. It didn't work and we wasted about 3-4 offensive possessions before we changed the plan. That needs to change.

Last week a few felt like it was the most important game of Bowden's career - I suppose because it would have kept momentum going. Since it didn't happen, how important is this game? A road win over a strong MAC team would be huge, but how bad would another loss be? I don't know if it's that big of a deal, but at some point the Michigan game will be perceived as a fluke unless we pick up some more wins.