First game three weeks from today!

akronzips71

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im having trouble understanding why we are playing an exhibition against Malone in the middle of the season (if I am looking at it right).

"Middle of the season" is a bit of a hyperbole...it's 11/27 and after like the 3rd regular season game. I'd imagine it had something to do with the fact that both MTSU and SM games are sandwiched together and somewhat difficult games, and late night. So a breather perhaps was in order to regroup the team?

"Middle of the season" is a bit of a hyperbole...it's 11/27 and after like the 3rd regular season game. I'd imagine it had something to do with the fact that both MTSU and SM games are sandwiched together and somewhat difficult games, and late night. So a breather perhaps was in order to regroup the team?

just have never heard of an in-season formal exhibition.

Im having trouble understanding why we are playing an exhibition against Malone in the middle of the season (if I am looking at it right).

From what I heard on the pregame the game was scheduled because other original opponents weren't able to keep their original schedule so there was a big gap between Nov. 16th and Dec. 7th so Malone was scheduled to be able to play a game in that gap, but since it is a D-II team it was set up as an exhibition.

@MDZip, thanks. I just heard that from a different source and was going to post it. I guess in the overall scheme of things I just don't see it as a big deal. The bigger deal to me is that UA is gaining traction with ESPN as a desirable partner for tournaments and other televised games with big name opponents. The Zips could have scheduled an exhibition game in January and I probably wouldn't have noticed. :)

Per backthezips.com, 1881 seats remain. Wonder if they include a student estimate in there. If not, might be close to a sellout

Good question. Hopefully someone in the know can come through for us..

Many people I know that aren't regular attendees or are only "big game" attendees seem excited and are planning on going to the game.

This is the most excitement that I can remember leading up to a MBB home opener. That's especially impressive when you consider the fact that we're playing a team that almost no one in Northeast Ohio cares about(not to say that Coastal will be an easy win).

Good question. Hopefully someone in the know can come through for us..

This is the most excitement that I can remember leading up to a MBB home opener. That's especially impressive when you consider the fact that we're playing a team that almost no one in Northeast Ohio cares about(not to say that Coastal will be an easy win).

We have included a realistic number for student attendance in the "countdown" you've seen on BackTheZips.com. We also used a "capacity" of 5,500 for that countdown. As a point of reference, the number we are aiming for is 4,059, the largest announced attendance prior to New Year's in Coach D's tenure. That is the announced attendance of the game vs. Dayton back on Dec. 6, 2008. The largest home opener in Dambrot's tenure was in 2005 vs. YSU (announced: 3,886). I'm confident we'll surpass that number, but we could sure use your help encouraging friends, family, neighbors, and strangers to attend!

Go Zips,

-Brad

We have included a realistic number for student attendance in the "countdown" you've seen on BackTheZips.com. We also used a "capacity" of 5,500 for that countdown. As a point of reference, the number we are aiming for is 4,059, the largest announced attendance prior to New Year's in Coach D's tenure. That is the announced attendance of the game vs. Dayton back on Dec. 6, 2008. The largest home opener in Dambrot's tenure was in 2005 vs. YSU (announced: 3,886). I'm confident we'll surpass that number, but we could sure use your help encouraging friends, family, neighbors, and strangers to attend!

Go Zips,

-Brad

thank you for posting.