Zips Need More Fans for New Arena

Blue & Gold

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a trip to the JAR today. The new lighting in the arena is very nice. The strips of florescent lights that run the length of the rafters look cool.

While I was there, I did some quick math.

Start with the basic fact that the JAR's official capacity is 5,500. By my estimate, the upper reserved section has 750 blue chairs. The lower bowl has 1,600 blue chairs, total. That's 2,350 blue chairs in the JAR. That means that the wooden bleachers must total 3,150 seats. The long side has six approximately equal sections, while the ends have four sections of about the same size, each. That means that the long side has 6/14 or 3/7 of the 3,150 total bleacher seats. That number is very nice because 3/7 of 3,150 is exactly 1,350.

So, if we were to replace the wooden bleachers on the far side with blue chairs, we would reduce the JAR's capacity by 600. (1,350-750)

You would have a capacity of 4,900, with better seating for the majority of fans. It also creates a true "cheap seats" section behind one of the baskets, and forces the students to sit behind the other basket instead of being scattered around the arena and being shushed by a bunch of boring grumps.

You get more sellouts both from the reduced capacity and increased fan comfort, which increases the actual value of tickets and the perceived value of the basketball team.

I made a trip to the JAR today. The new lighting in the arena is very nice. The strips of florescent lights that run the length of the rafters look cool.

While I was there, I did some quick math.

Start with the basic fact that the JAR's official capacity is 5,500. By my estimate, the upper reserved section has 750 blue chairs. The lower bowl has 1,600 blue chairs, total. That's 2,350 blue chairs in the JAR. That means that the wooden bleachers must total 3,150 seats. The long side has six approximately equal sections, while the ends have four sections of about the same size, each. That means that the long side has 6/14 or 3/7 of the 3,150 total bleacher seats. That number is very nice because 3/7 of 3,150 is exactly 1,350.

So, if we were to replace the wooden bleachers on the far side with blue chairs, we would reduce the JAR's capacity by 600. (1,350-750)

You would have a capacity of 4,900, with better seating for the majority of fans. It also creates a true "cheap seats" section behind one of the baskets, and forces the students to sit behind the other basket instead of being scattered around the arena and being shushed by a bunch of boring grumps.

You get more sellouts both from the reduced capacity and increased fan comfort, which increases the actual value of tickets and the perceived value of the basketball team.

Make the change to 100% chair seating.

IMO few things scream small time more than bleacher seating.

You can always identify a good discussion on ZN.o when @Zipmeister makes a serious and relevant comment. I also like @ZachTheZip's thinking -- upgrade to quality seating, reducing the JAR's total capacity. That would create more sellouts and create more demand for Zips basketball tickets. When enough people complain that they can't get tickets, offer them an opportunity to pre-purchase season tickets in a yet-to-be-built new arena. When the backlog ticket requests reach critical mass, build the new arena. The tricky part is to keep winning, and I think Coach Dambrot is up to that challenge.

Doing that would reduce the overall capacity to 4,100. However, there is enough room to push the upper bowl seats forward, eliminating the track and adding about three more rows on every side. We would end up with around 4,500 seats, which is a pretty nice size.

While all chair seating would certainly be nice, you're also talking about a pretty large expense. Plus the current seats are retractable and the facility is used for other things. Is this really worth it, especially as it would also reduce capacity?

I've been in the "show up more often and force the university to build something bigger" camp. This is definitely a key year. Nice article by Ridenour to spotlight the importance of fan support. Nice to list the increase in 5k+ games. 10 such games this season would be awesome.

While all chair seating would certainly be nice, you're also talking about a pretty large expense. Plus the current seats are retractable and the facility is used for other things. Is this really worth it, especially as it would also reduce capacity?

I've been in the "show up more often and force the university to build something bigger" camp. This is definitely a key year. Nice article by Ridenour to spotlight the importance of fan support. Nice to list the increase in 5k+ games. 10 such games this season would be awesome.

Would be cool to make the JAR a smaller version of Cameron Indoor which is actually not HUGE by today's standards but one of the most feared places to play. They look similar to me.

post-155-1382711060_thumb.jpg

Even better than the new lobby lighting at the JAR is the new court lighting that I saw for the first time at this morning's scrimmage. All the old warehouse-style metal halide lights have been replaced with high-bay T5 fluorescent fixtures. The JAR's interior is not only more evenly lit, more glare-free and brighter overall, but the T5s have a much better CRI (color rendering index) that makes everything look more natural. I know from having a study done to convert a large facility from metal halide to T5s that this was not an inexpensive project, but likely ran into tens of thousands of dollars. So while Zips basketball fans might not be any more comfortable in their seats this season, watching games played under the new lighting will be a lot easier on our eyes. Good move.

Would be cool to make the JAR a smaller version of Cameron Indoor which is actually not HUGE by today's standards but one of the most feared places to play. They look similar to me.

My concern with the JAR is that the ceiling isn't very high, and the corners are a mess. Could the corners be removed to put seating all around and retain structural integrity? The cost issue comes in again too.

IMO the track is dumb. I used to run on it as a student and quickly stopped. You're constantly on the turn and it messes with your knees/ankles after a while.

My concern with the JAR is that the ceiling isn't very high, and the corners are a mess. Could the corners be removed to put seating all around and retain structural integrity? The cost issue comes in again too.

No... Long structural story short... they would have to do major, and I mean MAJOR construction to reinforce what those walls are holding up in order to make that a possibility. It would be more worth while to just bulldoze the JAR and start over.

Another advantage of the new instant-on lighting is that if there's ever a brief power interruption, say from a nearby lightning strike, we won't have to sit around waiting for the lights to cool down and reset. That would be especially important for a televised game. The new lighting will enhance the game experience in multiple ways and represents a smart investment.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Akron needs a new arena. The JAR's potential is very limited... That said, there is one change that could instantly improve the atmosphere 10x over. Fixing the student section. Put all the students together and boom goes the dynamite. I realize there isn't a great place to put them all with the way it is set up... Force the issue. Get them together whatever it takes.

I quoted your post because I don't think bleachers always scream small-time... Ohio's convocation center has bleachers and it works perfectly.... Because it's the student section.

Overall, I think the JAR is the issue for fans not showing. The bleacher seating is beyond cramped, the views are terrible, the track is dumb and overall the atmosphere just is bad.

Build it and they WILL come.

I have a few thoughts today on a new arena.

First, I don't think the bleachers is a make-or-break issue. Internally, it sounds like the location of the track is a much bigger concern. The seating is an excuse that some people in Akron circles like to make, just like they all said that better bathrooms would make them go to all of the football games.

Secondly, whenever I see an article about "filling the current arena...so we can get a new arena", I agree. And here's a local comparison.

Back in the early 80s, when Cleveland State's basketball program was starting to emerge, they were playing in Woodliing Gym, a bleacher-filled, "big high school" type facility of only about 3k to 4k in capacity. They packed the place, and it was nothing remotely close to the comfort level (if I can say that) of Rhodes Arena. Bottom Line: People wanted to see a Cleveland State basketball game. This forced them to play some high profile games at Public Hall, which has tremendous character, but is ancient, and more fitting as an event hall than a basketball arena. And still, it was a mecca of excitement when the Vikings played there.

Of course, the end result was the eventual construction of a brand new 13k arena.

A high level of DEMAND to see Akron Basketball is the only thing that's going to get this done sooner rather than later. And we don't have it right now. And it disappoints me just as much as the rest of you.

I have a few thoughts today on a new arena.

First, I don't think the bleachers is a make-or-break issue. Internally, it sounds like the location of the track is a much bigger concern. The seating is an excuse that some people in Akron circles like to make, just like they all said that better bathrooms would make them go to all of the football games.

Secondly, whenever I see an article about "filling the current arena...so we can get a new arena", I agree. And here's a local comparison.

Back in the early 80s, when Cleveland State's basketball program was starting to emerge, they were playing in Woodliing Gym, a bleacher-filled, "big high school" type facility of only about 3k to 4k in capacity. They packed the place, and it was nothing remotely close to the comfort level (if I can say that) of Rhodes Arena. Bottom Line: People wanted to see a Cleveland State basketball game. This forced them to play some high profile games at Public Hall, which has tremendous character, but is ancient, and more fitting as an event hall than a basketball arena. And still, it was a mecca of excitement when the Vikings played there.

Of course, the end result was the eventual construction of a brand new 13k arena.

A high level of DEMAND to see Akron Basketball is the only thing that's going to get this done sooner rather than later. And we don't have it right now. And it disappoints me just as much as the rest of you.

A careful review of the information at this site indicates your recollection of attendance at Viking's home games in the early eighties is a bit distorted.

A 13K stadium still seems to be a bit excessive for their current ticket demand.