spring schedule is out

• 3 weeks later...

Great night out to watch Zips!

Many of us were motivated to see the four newcomers. We were not disappointed.

M Laryea aptly wore #10. Definite starter, Very quick. Very technical. Unlikely he will play out all of his eligibility.

F Sepe #13 is extraordinarily quick of foot. Aggressive around the goal. Probable starter. He is already acclimated to the physicality of college ball.

D Cregan #16 manned the left flank admirably. Caught out of position by more experienced CSU players. Room to improve. Good athlete. Potential starter.

F Quirk #7 saw limited time in second half. Quick. Failed to threaten on numerous good opportunities. Need to see more.

All in all a good showing by these four. It is going to be a fun spring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Trip to Richmond for Zips/VCU spring clash was great fun. I love road trips for spring soccer.

Venerable City Stadium remains a suitable soccer venue. College Cup should return there.

First time to Richmond, we blindly and fortuitously stumbled upon Can Can Brasserie, in the heart of historic Carytown, for Saturday brunch. Succulent! There we also made acquaintance with Devil’s Backbone Brewery (Vienna lager).

Weather was a gorgeous 70* and clear. Rams went up a goal in the 2nd minute, before I could even start working on my sunburn.

Zips fielded a 4-2-3-1 formation for the entirety of the contest. Not only is this formation en vogue throughout the world, but it caters to the talent of our current roster. Too many times last year our defensive midfield was stretched out of position.

Zips equalized midway through the first half on a good build up to a garbage finish that trickled over the line. We will take it.

Easily the goal of the match was #13 Sean Sepe’s text book receipt and turn in the box. Next touch BAM inside the post.

Kid is quick, really quick. And he has the mentality of a finisher. He is never looking to pass, not ever. Very aggressive!

I noticed Sepe last season when Zips played St. John’s. How Dr. Masur ever let this kid get away, I will never understand.

VCU 1-2 Akron

Dave Giffard’s VCU Rams are organized, aggressive, and very athletic. 2014’s squad may surpass last season’s underdog darlings.

• Like 1

The women's team has announced its 2014 Fall schedule: http://gozips.com/sports/wsoc/2013-14/releases/201404071c9owx

I just wondered, since the title of this thread is what it is...does Akron women's soccer have spring games? If not, that may be a tip off of how Title IX is not working out. I do know that here in Hawaii, our women's soccer team hosted a 7v7 tournament, but no full games. We've had mainland teams play here in most years, even USC in a game attended by 4000+ last year (there was a youth tournament going on at the facility surrounding the stadium). But, I think most all D-1 men's soccer teams play a spring schedule, no?

@ZIP ... There is no Title IX issue with Womens Soccer Spring matches. From GoZips.com at http://www.gozips.com/sports/wsoc/2013-14/releases/20140226sagxz2, Womens Soccer Announces Spring Exhibition Schedule.

2014 Spring Exhibition Schedule

Sat., March 1 vs. Robert Morris, Stile Athletics Field House, 12:30 p.m.

Sat., March 15 at Saint Francis, 5 p.m.

Sun., April 6 at Cleveland State, 1 p.m.

Wed., April 16 vs. Malone, Schrank Field, 7:30 p.m.

Fri., April 25 vs. Duquesne, FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field, 7 p.m.

• Like 1