Holy Crap - Former Zip is the Detroit Pistons' Head Coach!

I recall John being a relatively tall (for the time), no-nonsense point guard for the Zips.

ESPN has the following story:

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-140210/daily-dime

I remember him well, but just don't remember him playing the point. After we lost Merchant early in that 85-86 season, McLaughlin took over many of those duties as a freshman, along with Dowdell. And Dowling in a reserve role.

Although, that was an odd team, with Huggins working his magic to make things work. We played with a 6'-3" Center that season, so it wouldn't surprise me.

And that team won an OVC title. Unbelievable. A year in Zips basketball that I will never forget.

I remember him well, but just don't remember him playing the point. After we lost Merchant early in that 85-86 season, McLaughlin took over many of those duties as a freshman, along with Dowdell. And Dowling in a reserve role.

Although, that was an odd team, with Huggins working his magic to make things work. We played with a 6'-3" Center that season, so it wouldn't surprise me.

And that team won an OVC title. Unbelievable. A year in Zips basketball that I will never forget.

I was a little iffy on him playing point also. Maybe he played mostly 2 but slid over to 1 on occasion? It's the Michigan tourney game where I seem to have vivid memories of him playing some point. Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be :lol:

I was a little iffy on him playing point also. Maybe he played mostly 2 but slid over to 1 on occasion? It's the Michigan tourney game where I seem to have vivid memories of him playing some point. Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be :lol:

Like I said, that team was pretty unconventional. After Merchant's departure, McLaughlin became the starter at the point, and Dowdell, McLaughlin and Loyer shared most of the total guard playing time between the 3 of them. So, I'm sure they all flipped around a bit.

What an unlikely run by that team. Nobody saw it coming.

• 8 years later...

From PU website.  Foster trying to get some of that Steph Curry magic!  John would have been a great Akron coach, if the AD had accepted my advice.

"Brother, Foster, played at Michigan State before transferring to Davidson before this season. Foster was Michigan's Mr. Basketball in 2018, while Fletcher was the runner-up."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, ZippyRulz said:

Was watching Purdue just now against New Orleans (reminding me of Quincy Diggs) when I saw Loyer and figured he had to be John's son.  You of course knew this already, but eventually I catch up with the rest of you 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1