Akron @ Western Michigan 2/12

GJGood

I dislike the play to have Cheatham try to hit a 3 for the game winner. Rather have Tree take it or have Q drive to the basket. Live by the 3 and die by the 3. I do not think we played that well.

Every time I watch Evens play I wonder what Keith saw in him. He drives to the basket and take the ball out instead of trying to make a layup. Even the announcer for the Western Michigan had no idea what he was doing.

Horrible last 25 min. of play for Akron. Again, another double digit first half lead thrown out the window.

Tree's 2 missed FTs late were critical, but the game was lost long before that. And that Western team wasn't impressing me very much.

We did as much as we could to use Kwan and Big Dog to make up for Harney's absence. Just a bad night execution-wise on offense.

Wow...it would have been nice to beat BG and Western on the road, back to back.

It's not good warm-ups if we don't fix the problems that we have. We have seemingly had the same problems all year. I don't know if it's just me and my fandom, but every time I watch the Zips I feel like I'm watching a jumbled together, hobbled mess that somehow pulls out wins. Whenever I watch other teams the look like a team ready to win. Of course, this is just my untrained amateur Zip basketball fan speaking...but it's just a feeling I have every time I watch them...near 5 years now.

In the postgame, Keith just pretty much blasted the way the game was officiated in the last 25 seconds, as carefully as he could without going too far.

In particular, I think calling Reggie for a foul on a scramble for a loose ball in the last 10 secs. of a game is BS. In addition, the foul on Tree when the guy flopped on the floor with one second left on the shot clock was questionable, as well as a possible foul as Quincy was taking that final 3-pointer.

Keith did go after the officials before the post game handshake. I think he really believed that the ending was really poorly called. And I think he has a point.

I think Keith should worry about problems he can control. Like the poor play of his team.

There's nothing wrong with Dambrot questioning the officials on a few very questionable calls that helped determine the game. And before someone says hes making excuses:

Tough one tonight. No excuses. We're coming home to take on NIU Saturday and we need #ZipsNation there to #BackTheZips! Who will be there?

I was shocked by the foul on Reggie. I agree with Coach Dambrot that there were some especially bad calls late in the game. But the bottom line is that I don't think the game should have been that close that those calls made the difference. I agree with those who say that the Zips don't play together like a team. Since I've seen teams coached by Coach Dambrot actually play like teams, I'm inclined to believe it's more the personalities of the current players that just aren't meshing. There are too many individuals on this team and not enough team players. If they don't get it together, they will lose more games exactly the way they lost this one.

A few things...

1) On the season, Reggie McAdams is shooting .406% from deep while Jake Kretzer is hitting at a .344% clip. In the Zips' three losses, McAdams and Kretzer are a combined 8 for 26 - .308%. They had plenty of good looks tonight but just couldn't get them to drop. Jake is ice-cold - 4 of 24 over the last five games. They need at least one (if not both) to get going to make a run at the MAC Title.

2) Pat Forsythe is playing his way to the bench. Not only did "Big Dog" get the start tonight, but Kwan earned more time as well. We might not see much of Pat down the stretch, especially if Harney returns.

3) We're still in good shape. We may be gunning for the #2 seed unless Toledo really falters, but if we're the last team standing at the Q I'm OK with that.

The Zips have one player they can bank on night-in-night-out: Tree. After that, everyone's performance is a crap-shoot.

Harney was actually stepping up, and then his personal Mr Hyde kicked in. We just don't have the experience and depth to overcome his loss when on the road, against a decent opponent.

We have as good a shot as anyone at The Q. We may not be as talented as Toledo, but we own The Q. That's a big edge.

If we make the NCAA's this season...VCU Part II.

Different Zips season this year, that's for sure.

no big deal just warm up games for the one Bid league

When looking at the NCAA tournament. Toledo may be an at-large should they keep winning but not win the MAC tourney.

As far as the Zips go, until last night I was still quite hopeful of earning the auto NIT bid as a "just in case" back up. I haven't totally given up on that but for all intent and purposes we are really two games back of Toledo now and their schedule doesn't look as daunting as ours down the stretch. looks like either win the MAC Tourney for NCAA berth or CBI/CiT for the Zips right now.