2014 MAC Tournament Watch

UAZip0510

Says a lot for Coach Dambrot's program when a 20 regular season win team is the worst in a decade.

Look at the RPI of the 20 teams the Zips defeated. I think Ohio, at 81, is the highest RPI-ranked team the Zips beat. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

I wish we could see how successful KD would be if the MAC was better overall like in the days when the MAC was a 2 bid conference.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Zips played a tougher schedule this year than in past years and still have 20 wins. Not only was the non-conference part of the schedule tougher in 2013-14 but the conference from top to bottom is better than it has been recently as well.

Yes, I wanted the Zips to be better than 20-11 and a four seed but I don't know that this team is much less capable than some of the teams Akron has had in the past decade. I know I'll certainly take this over the Coleman Crawford and Dan Hipsher years.

@GJGood, the Zips' schedule may have seemed tougher this season. But last season the Zips finished with the #135 SOS, and this season SOS stands at #166. Depending on who they play in the tournament(s), their SOS could still improve. But it would be really difficult to climb all the way up to #135 without an NCAA tournament run against some high-ranked teams.

and down go the flashes to the redhawks

Anyone care to perform the eulogy to Can't basketball?

A first round tournament loss to a mediocre Miami team, on the road and a roster that doesn't return much of any talent for next year. Hard to see them competing again any time soon under Senderoff. Kind of sad actually.

Rob Senderoff was on the Channel 3 late sports report last night discussing the MAC tournament, and said his team was capable of winning 5 games in 6 days. The first thought that hit me was, yeah, and they are even more capable of losing the first at Miami. To paraphrase his name, it's time to sendthemoff for the rest of the season. :lol:

Miami vs Ohio will be very, very interesting. On Saturday the Redhawks had Ohio beat.

With Miami up four with 1:14 left on the clock, this happened:

- Miami missed three pointer

- Ohio scored on Ndour layup

- Miami turnover

- Ohio turnover

- Foul on OU - Miami missed front end of one-and-one

- Ohio missed three pointer

- Foul on OU - Miami missed front end of one-and-one

- Ohio scored on Ndour layup to send the game to overtime, which OU won

Four chances to put it away in regulation, four missed opportunities...and on Senior Night. If that doesn't pump the Redhawks up for this rematch, I don't know what will.

Every team in the MAC has been to the NCAA tournament in the 2000's except EMU (last appearance 1998), NIU (1996), Toledo (1980), BGSU (1968) and Buffalo (never). While I expect the Zips have an excellent chance of advancing to the Championship game again this year, I believe that the winner of Toledo/Buffalo will end their own drought. My guess for the rest of the tournament:

Miami over OU

NIU over EMU

Akron over Miami

Buffalo over NIU

Akron over WMU

Toledo over Buffalo

Toledo over Akron

Jake being named MAC 6th Man of the Year makes it all the more concerning that Coach Dambrot has said he's likely done for the season and won't be available at the Q. First and foremost I'm most concerned about Jake's longterm health and don't want to see him rushed back into action unless he's 100% recovered from his concussion. I'm just hoping he beats the odds and all symptoms disappear this week. The Zips' odds of winning the MAC tournament would obviously be better with the MAC 6th Man of the Year playing.

Jake being named MAC 6th Man of the Year makes it all the more concerning that Coach Dambrot has said he's likely done for the season and won't be available at the Q. First and foremost I'm most concerned about Jake's longterm health and don't want to see him rushed back into action unless he's 100% recovered from his concussion. I'm just hoping he beats the odds and all symptoms disappear this week. The Zips' odds of winning the MAC tournament would obviously be better with the MAC 6th Man of the Year playing.

I respectfully disagree. I didn't need Jake to get an award to realize how valuable he is. Award or no, I was concerned about the team playing without him.

He likely would not have been participating in practices any more this year if there wasn't a chance that he'd possibly be ready to play this weekend.

Remember that the last update said that he'd likely be unavailable for the rest of the "season". That statement did not include the word "post". ;)

A concussion is a very uncertain type of situation. That's why I was quite surprised when it seemed like the "out for the season" statement was definitive.