2014 MAC Tournament Watch

UAZip0510

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine facing OU on a neutral court, playing their 4th game in 6 days.

Playing last night was huge, and so was the win. There's nobody in this league that can win 5 games in a row, so it's a 4 team tournament, and we are one of them.

I agree. I would rather face OU than have to beat EMU 3 times in one season.

Looking at a Cleveland map, the detour isn't so bad as it's all freeway. A shorter option to the posted detour would be to use 90 instead of 490 and avoid 77 north of 480 completely. Anyone have a better route?

If you end up taking 176 you won't be able to get into downtown as you can't go 90 East due to the new bridge construction. You will have to take 176 to 490 to 77 to get to DT.

How about some predictions? Here's mine:

1st Round

5-Ohio over 12-Ball State

9-Can't State over 8-Miami

7-Northern Illinois over 10-Bowling Green

6-Eastern Michigan over 11-Central Michigan

2nd Round

9-Can't State over 5-Ohio

7-Northern Illinois over 6-Eastern Michigan

Quarterfinals

4-Akron over 9-Can't State

3-Buffalo over Northern Illinois

Semi-Finals

4-Akron over 1-Western Michigan

3-Buffalo over 2-Toledo

Championship Game

4-Akron over 3-Buffalo

Here's my prediction

1st Round

5-Ohio vs 12-Ball State

9-Can't State vs 8-Miami

7-Northern Illinois vs 10-Bowling Green

6-Eastern Michigan vs 11-Central Michigan

2nd Round

5 Ohio vs. 8 Miami
10 BGSU vs 6 EMU

Quarterfinals

4-Akron vs 5 Ohio

3-Buffalo vs 6 EMU

Semi-Finals

4-Akron vs 1-Western Michigan

3-Buffalo vs 2-Toledo

Championship Game

4-Akron vs 3-Buffalo

I had some thoughts today about the scheduling of the 3 games that are in front of us, since we haven't been a non-top seed in this format:

Thursday Quarterfinal:

We'll be playing a team that has just played 3 games in 5 days (Sat., Mon., Wed.) since the last time we played, including a game the night before.

Big Advantage - Akron

Friday Semi-Finals:

This will be the toughest one, in my opinion, from a possible fatigue standpoint. We'll play a very well rested team, after we just left the court about 20 hrs. earlier.

Disadvantage - Akron

Finals:

A team playing 3 games in 3 days, vs. at team playing 2 games in 2 days. BUT, WE had the earlier game the night before. And most of our guys have been through this run before, and the Buffalo and Toledo players have not. I think that evens things up a bit.

EVEN

Don't let anyone fool you. Rest is good when you are 30+ games into the season, especially with some young guys who have never played this many games. To them, a college season seems long and tiring. Our depth also isn't what it might be with Jake out. The key will be keeping anyone from getting too overextended on Thursday, if that opportunity present itself.

They just pulled a name out of the hat rather than digging into the information.

I'm sure it's a misprint - they always pencil in the number 1 seed from the tournament (WMU) as the conference winner when they don't expect anything from the conference champion (and don't feel like doing any conference research). Wouldn't be surprised if it was updated to WMU instead of EMU later today.

Here's the info from ODOT about the construction project that wil close part of I-77 this weekend. It looks like you MIGHT even be able to get on 21 off of 77 near Brecksville, bypass the inevitable 480/77 backup and then pick up 77 again when 21 ends. I've contacted the athletic department to see if any official recommendations are being issued by UA, The MAC or The Q.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D12/construction/I77BridgeDeckReplacement/Pages/default.aspx

1st Round
5-Ohio over 12-Ball State
9-Can't State over 8-Miami
7-Northern Illinois over 10-Bowling Green
6-Eastern Michigan over 11-Central Michigan
2nd Round
9-Can't State over 5-Ohio
7-Northern Illinois over 6-Eastern Michigan
Quarterfinals
4-Akron over 9-Can't State
3-Buffalo over Northern Illinois
Semi-Finals
4-Akron over 1-Western Michigan
3-Buffalo over 2-Toledo
Championship Game
4-Akron over 3-Buffalo

The Zips championship game run ends this year. Worst Akron team I've seen in the last 10 years.