The Food Thread

K92

I contemplated putting this in the beer thread, but I went there to eat, and thought it was kind of unique, so I'll put it here. I'm ignorant to the authenticity of German food, so maybe others can give their opinion. I went with a group to Der Braumeister this weekend. I thought the food was really good, and the taps were awesome. Of course Weihenstephaner is awesome, so start with that. I also enjoyed the Primator Weizenbier, the Breckenridge Ophelia, Pauwel Kwak, and finished with the Kasteel Winter. I didn't care for the Ayinger Jahrhundert, and I like Ayinger beers. Not a very modern interior design, and not in the best part of town, but if you like German food and German beer (who doesn't), it's worth the trip. For what it's worth, ten people went and tried almost everything on the menu, everybody was happy. I thought the spaetzle was great, but it was my first. I would be interested to hear if anybody else has eaten there?

Edit: Recently spoke with a few German guys I work with. "Is it authentic?", "What's really authentic, yeah, it's good." Both commented about the neighborhood being less than stellar too.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Sloppy Joe's. Key West. Sloppy Joe. I'm drunk. It's good.

I didn't see this until Keener brought this thread back up. You must have been drunk, I just visited this place last month, nothing to write home about. Like all of Key West, Sloppy Joe's is super touristy. Best thing I did in Key West was to tour the Hemingway home. Key West was not worth the four hour drive from South Beach IMO. When you are there you have to eat somewhere. I ate at Sloppy Joe's, I recommend stopping there for a drink, and eating somewhere else. Not bad, but nothing special. Your other suggestions have to be better. If anyone is visiting South Beach, let me know, I can recommend multiple good places to eat.

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend Akron's newest downtown restaurant, Nuevo Modern Mexican & Tequila Bar. My wife and I were fortunate enough to get invited to a pre-opening evening, and were impressed with the food and drink. It's definitely upscale Mexican cuisine, nothing like what you may have had at your typical Tex-Mex joint. If you look at the menu in the link, you can see that even the familiar-sounding dishes are prepared in unusual ways. I had the Carnitas (slow braised and roasted pork shoulder), which was the best I'd ever eaten. My wife had the Pimento (smoked bean and rice stuffed poblano, fresh polenta, romesco), and she said it's the best stuffed poblano she's ever had. The appetizers are great, too. The ceviche and guacamole are wonderful. As for drinks, If you like tequila, this is the place to go. They have about 70 different types starting at $4.75 per shot and running up to some pricey vintage types that top off at $65 per shot. In addition to shots, they also have a variety of tequila-based mixed drinks that aren't listed on the online menu. I tried something similar to a bloody mary while my wife had a fruit-based drink. Both were good. We finished the evening off with some fine sipping tequila. The highlight for me was the Herradura Port Cask, tequila aged in old port wine casks. It cost $12.00 a shot, but was as smooth as a fine cognac. After just one visit, this is already one of our favorite restaurants. I think it's going to be wildly successful, so early reservations may be needed.

I finally got around to trying this place. Good suggestion. I can agree with everything written above. I'll give it a B-. I second DiG's advice about the reservation. I called Friday first thing, there were only two reservations for four left that evening. They have a bar, and you can eat at the bar if you can get a spot, but the bar is pretty small (a dozen people). The margaritas are good. If you like spicy, they infuse a tequila with peppers and it was the perfect amount of heat for me. The two girls I was with claimed it was too "hot." I think they had five or so different margaritas. They also had four or so different "toppings" for your rim. I liked the smoked salt the best. I don't see a listing of margaritas on the site. They might change them too. I was told by a co-worker he had a smoked pineapple, but the waitress said it was a summer drink. For the beer only drinkers, they had a cooler full of craft bottles and cans (just clap your hands). I think they only had five taps, but it's not an issue IMO. Akron could use a dozen more places like this. Oh yeah, parking is a challenge. I used the deck a couple blocks away and didn't have to pay.

Re: Nuevo, Dr Z, there's free parking in the High St. library deck about a block away and I think the one next to it on High St is also free evenings and weekends. They also have valet. If you are really lucky, you might find a spot on Mill or High St. I think the meters are also free weekends and evenings. The library deck is also a good spot to park for Crave, 3 Point, Blu, etc.

• 3 months later...

Might be a good time to revive a thread that doesn't have anything to do with names and logos.

I have a couple of pizza places that I would highly recommend if anyone is in these areas:

First place: Fast Eddie's in Bellville, Ohio. Fantastic place. Small but nice dining area. Pizza is made with a hand tossed crust, fairly thin, but not New York Style thin. Toppings are great. The pizza is made by its sauce, though. I would suggest getting a side of it for dipping purposes. Here's a pic of the last pie I got there:

1907633_10204211483590729_62679235789275

This place is a must-do if you're down in the Mansfield area and have the hungries.

http://www.fasteddiesbellville.com/pizza.html

The second place I want to recommend is Park Street Pizza in Sugarcreek, Ohio. Their claim to fame is the use of as many quality local ingredients as possible. They have recently added on to their dining area but is still somewhat limited. They have a couple of tables outside. No pic from this place but the pizza was great. Crust was rather light and flaky. Delicious. If you're down in Amish country and want a different dining experience from the typical home-style places, this is it.

http://www.parkstreetpizza.com/#about

• 5 weeks later...

Lord have mercy.

Have i got a treat for all tailgaters that come near my spot this fall. Wait until you sample my bacon cheeseburgers made with the jalapeño bacon from Caanan Valley Meats.

Wow.

• 4 months later...

I highly recommend Akron's newest downtown restaurant, Nuevo Modern Mexican & Tequila Bar. My wife and I were fortunate enough to get invited to a pre-opening evening, and were impressed with the food and drink. It's definitely upscale Mexican cuisine, nothing like what you may have had at your typical Tex-Mex joint. If you look at the menu in the link, you can see that even the familiar-sounding dishes are prepared in unusual ways. I had the Carnitas (slow braised and roasted pork shoulder), which was the best I'd ever eaten. My wife had the Pimento (smoked bean and rice stuffed poblano, fresh polenta, romesco), and she said it's the best stuffed poblano she's ever had. The appetizers are great, too. The ceviche and guacamole are wonderful.

As for drinks, If you like tequila, this is the place to go. They have about 70 different types starting at $4.75 per shot and running up to some pricey vintage types that top off at $65 per shot. In addition to shots, they also have a variety of tequila-based mixed drinks that aren't listed on the online menu. I tried something similar to a bloody mary while my wife had a fruit-based drink. Both were good. We finished the evening off with some fine sipping tequila. The highlight for me was the Herradura Port Cask, tequila aged in old port wine casks. It cost $12.00 a shot, but was as smooth as a fine cognac.

After just one visit, this is already one of our favorite restaurants. I think it's going to be wildly successful, so early reservations may be needed.

Having an 'after wedding' dinner at Nuevo. Reserved the lower level. Gets an A. Been there a couple of times. It ain't your uncle's Tex-Mex. Nice regional dishes.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1 March, 2014 at 10:57 AM, LZIp said:

cool thread. Way to start it off Keener with The Lockview. My favorite restuarant!

I'l follow up by recommending the University Inn located in Tremont. Today it was named an "American Classic" by the James Beard Foundation. Sokolowski's University Inn was one of 5 restuarants in the COUNTRY to recieve this honor.

http://www.cleveland.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/02/sokolowskis_university_inn_nam.html

I want to try this.  Are they still operating?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you get out to Sandusky, Small City Taphouse is a place you might want to try.  Fantastic Vietnamese restaurant with 60 taps.  I was just there for their 2nd Anniversary.  Great times.  I was able to couple a great dining experience with this beer list:

FATHEAD’S ONE DAY IN SANDUSKY
FATHEAD’S DANK SINATRA
FATHEAD’S/ STONE THE CALIFORNIA COMET
FATHEAD’S GOGGLE FOGGER...
FATHEAD’S ZEUS JUICE
FATHEAD’S JACK STRAW
JAFB TWO DAYS IN SANDUSKY
JAFB SUMMER SLINGSHOT
JAFB RAIN DELAY
JAFB NEW STUNT #23
JAFB RED ALE
JAFB FARMYARD PALE SAISON
JAFB HEFEWEIZEN
TBK SMALL CITY NINJA IPA
TBK EL LUPULO LIBRE
TBK KITKA
TBK BIG WOODY
TBK WHITE RAJAH
CBC SMALL CITY HOP PARTY
CBC HAWAIIAN HOP PARTY W/ TOASTED COCONUT
CBC BODHI
CBC THUNDERLIPS PALE ALE
CBC SUMMERTEETH
WILLOUGHBY COSMIC IPA
WILLOUGHBY HAZY DAYS HOPPY WHEAT
JACKIE O’S TONGUE THAI’D
JACKIE O’S PROVIDENCE SAISON
JACKIE O’S RADATATAT
THREE FLOYDS RABBID RABBIT SAISON
THREE FLOYDS ZOMBIE DUST
THREE FLOYDS LIVE A RICH LIFE
THREE FLOYDS ALPHA KING
BELL’S MANGO HABANERO OBERON
LAGUNITAS BORN AGAIN TOMORROW
BIERE DE MIEL
ST. BERNARDUS ABT 12
TRIPEL KARMELIET
KASTEEL ROUGE
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MANIFESTO
RUBAEUS RASPBERRY ALE NITRO
DRAGON’S MILK RESERVE W/ RASPBERRIES
DUCHESSE DE BOURGOGNE
LUNCH IPA
PINEAPPLE CIDER
ALESMITH VIETNAMESE SPEEDWAY
ALESMITH HAWAIIAN SPEEDWAY
ALESMITH HAMMERHEAD SPEEDWAY
MIKKELLER SPONTANPEACH
MIKKELLER SPONTANPEAR
MIKKELLER SPONTANPINEAPPLE
AVERY RASPBERRY SOUR
BFM- ABBAYE DE SAINT BON-CHIEN
DARK HORSE BARREL AGED SCOTTY KARATE
FOUNDERS BACKWOODS BASTARD
OSKAR BLUES BARREL AGED TEN FIDY
WILLOUGHBY NUTSMASHER
WILLOUGHBY WEASEL NUTSMASHER
COLUMBUS BARREL AGED BELGIAN DARK STRONG
B. NEKTAR STUPID MAN SUIT
B. NEKTAR THE ZOMBIE TAKE MANHATTAN

Legit.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I should have posted back at MAC tournament time. . . Barrio is fantastic.  If you like tacos, it a must do.  They have a pretty sweet tap list as well.

Anybody ever been to Diamond Grille on Market Street?  Been past the place a million times but never stopped.  I hear they serve a pretty mean steak but wondered if anyone could confirm that before I go.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, K92 said:

One thing I should have posted back at MAC tournament time. . . Barrio is fantastic.  If you like tacos, it a must do.  They have a pretty sweet tap list as well.

Anybody ever been to Diamond Grille on Market Street?  Been past the place a million times but never stopped.  I hear they serve a pretty mean steak but wondered if anyone could confirm that before I go.

agreed. Barrio is fantastic. Never been to Diamond Grille.

I tried Bomba the other day in Rocky River (also a location in Fairlawn). The quality was good, but I just wasn't a fan. I guess its more of a Cuban/Puerto Rican/Central American flare to the food. Just too much going on for me.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Went to Barrios after the Zips victory in the semis last March and it was very good.

I've been to the Diamond Grille many times. It is very old school, great beef with simple side dishes. It's an Akron landmark and I would recommend going just to experience the atmosphere. Btw, they don't take credit cards but will accept a check or bill you if you have a local business card.

On July 5, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Dr Z said:

Michael Symon's Mabel's BBQ is worth the trip. Everything I had was very good.  I just noticed Food Network voted Bar Cento best pizza in Ohio. I'll have to try it. 

I went to try Bar Cento two Fridays ago for lunch. I still have no report, they don't open until 4:30.

Since I had pizza on my mind, I decided to drive to Citizen Pie instead. If you are a fan of artisan pizza, this place is for you. Great job. Fantastic crust. I got to chat with the owner for a few, I could go on, but here is a nice write-up in the Plain Dealer instead. He mentioned to me that they have only run out of dough 3 times since opening, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would consider the fact that it is directly across the Beachland, so you might want to avoid late night shows. 

Be aware that it is very small inside. Only seats about 20. And the oven makes it pretty warm since it's a small place. Totally worth it though. 

Eater voted it one of the hottest new restaurants in Cleveland.

-c5d81b1c8780d656.jpg

• Like 1