The Food Thread

K92

I figured since we already had "The Beer Thread", we might as well start one for food too. We can use this for suggesting restaurants/food stores to try/avoid. I think this forum would be great not just for Akron area establishments, but for all of NEO and beyond. What do you think?

• Like 1

I will go first.

After the game Saturday, a group of us went down to Lockview on Main Street. I really liked it. Their specialty is grilled cheese (13 varieties). I had the daily special which was a roast beef sandwich and a cup of chili with the works. Both good. Pretty nice beer selection, focusing mainly on bottles, of over 100 choices. I was able to sample a Brew Kettle Black Rajah that I had been wanting to try for a while, now. Good music on the box, mostly 80's tunes & a nice over all experience. I will be back.

http://thelockview.com/

logo@2x.png

• Like 1

Keener I'm surprised you'd never been there before! Lockview is a favorite amongst students these days when going downtown. Their bread is made by the bakery next door to them which makes it even more wonderful. Next time you go, forget the roast beef, the grilled cheese is the thing to get there!

I think this forum would be great not just for Akron area establishments, but for all of NEO and beyond. What do you think?

Great idea Keener. I just got back from South Beach. Great food. You really can't go wrong with most places there. If you were in town for a quick trip Nexxt Cafe is a place most will like due to the massive menu selection. I could also put Nexxt Cafe in the burger thread. Great place to people watch since it is in Lincoln Mall (outside area). After dinner you can walk up a couple blocks to the Hafbrauhaus.

cool thread. Way to start it off Keener with The Lockview. My favorite restuarant!

I'l follow up by recommending the University Inn located in Tremont. Today it was named an "American Classic" by the James Beard Foundation. Sokolowski's University Inn was one of 5 restuarants in the COUNTRY to recieve this honor.

http://www.cleveland.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/02/sokolowskis_university_inn_nam.html

Sinatra at Encore in Las Vegas is excellent. Sat at the bar last night, listened to Sinatra music, watched a Sinatra/Dean Martin movie that had the Three Stooges in it and ate some pasta with a great bottle of Italian wine. Does it get any better than that?

Edgars in west Akron is a really nice fine dining place. It's located at Good Park golf course in the upper level. They have a really good selection of smoked Appetizers and Entree's. My favorite is the smoked prime rib. They also have a really interesting Cuban Smoked Pork Platter appetizer.

http://www.edgarsrestaurant.com/

They also have live entertainment several times a month. Zydeco Kings

cool thread. Way to start it off Keener with The Lockview. My favorite restuarant!

I'll follow up by recommending the University Inn located in Tremont. Today it was named an "American Classic" by the James Beard Foundation. Sokolowski's University Inn was one of 5 restuarants in the COUNTRY to recieve this honor.

http://www.cleveland.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/02/sokolowskis_university_inn_nam.html

Sounds like a place I need to try. Thanks for suggesting it.

If anyone ever gets down into my neck of the woods, I would recommend you try Dor-Lo Pizza on Orange Street in Ashland. The place doesn't have much in the atmosphere department, but the pizza is great. Soft thin crust. Tends to be greasy, so if that's a turn off you want to avoid. I love the place.

Fahrenheit is a really good restaurant in Cleveland.

Last week, Fahrenheit Charlotte opened and we ate dinner there last night. Great place. Same owner, same concept as Cleveland with the Asian influence over local ingredients along with some other more traditional items for people who may not like that style of cooking. In addition to the food, the setting is outstanding. It is on the 22nd floor of a new hotel/condo building in downtown Charlotte. You can see the views from the restaurant by clicking on Photos on their website. Rooftop bars and restaurants are very popular in the south because the weather nice for most of the year, with the exception of this year, and restaurants/bars like to take advantage of that good weather for a lot of the year.

Short ribs were great and so was the Ramen.

Great place, great view.

GP1, here is a good one for you, the guys that owned the Sun, now have a rooftop bar on Brown street. :lol:

mannys02.jpg

He looks real proud of himself gazing off into the view of the backside of the scoreboard and the gas station/mini mart across the street. Not exactly a view of the Duke Energy Building or the Bank of America tower, but you have to play the cards you are dealt. If your hand includes a lot across from a gas station and you have conceptualized a rooftop bar, one might want to consider folding that hand.

I highly recommend Akron's newest downtown restaurant, Nuevo Modern Mexican & Tequila Bar. My wife and I were fortunate enough to get invited to a pre-opening evening, and were impressed with the food and drink. It's definitely upscale Mexican cuisine, nothing like what you may have had at your typical Tex-Mex joint. If you look at the menu in the link, you can see that even the familiar-sounding dishes are prepared in unusual ways. I had the Carnitas (slow braised and roasted pork shoulder), which was the best I'd ever eaten. My wife had the Pimento (smoked bean and rice stuffed poblano, fresh polenta, romesco), and she said it's the best stuffed poblano she's ever had. The appetizers are great, too. The ceviche and guacamole are wonderful.

As for drinks, If you like tequila, this is the place to go. They have about 70 different types starting at $4.75 per shot and running up to some pricey vintage types that top off at $65 per shot. In addition to shots, they also have a variety of tequila-based mixed drinks that aren't listed on the online menu. I tried something similar to a bloody mary while my wife had a fruit-based drink. Both were good. We finished the evening off with some fine sipping tequila. The highlight for me was the Herradura Port Cask, tequila aged in old port wine casks. It cost $12.00 a shot, but was as smooth as a fine cognac.

After just one visit, this is already one of our favorite restaurants. I think it's going to be wildly successful, so early reservations may be needed.

• Like 1

I highly recommend Akron's newest downtown restaurant, Nuevo Modern Mexican & Tequila Bar.

Must be getting near lunch, that site (well done) is making me hungry. I'll try this place out soon. This thread is more fun than the beer thread. :thumb:

tequila aged in old port wine casks. It cost $12.00 a shot, but was as smooth as a fine cognac.

I had a Glenmorangie "The Quinta Ruban" recently. Same concept. Marketing ploy, but I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

There used to be a mom and pop Italian place near/in Kenmore called Casa Mimi. They had the best baked ziti around Akron.

I think about it all the time because I have a mom and pop Italian restaurant just a mile from my house in SC, but in Charlotte. The family is from Syracuse and took over a place called The Gridiron, kept the name and made it an Italian restaurant. Very popular with the northern population who wants a good mom and pop Italian meal without having to go to one of the gourmet places in Charlotte resulting in a mortgage sized bill when it shows up. Always reminds me of Casa Mimi, but I think Casa Mimi had better food.

I wonder if people in NE Ohio appreciate how good many of the restaurant selections are.?.? There are many, many good places to eat in NE Ohio.

There used to be a mom and pop Italian place near/in Kenmore called Casa Mimi. They had the best baked ziti around Akron.

I think about it all the time because I have a mom and pop Italian restaurant just a mile from my house in SC, but in Charlotte. The family is from Syracuse and took over a place called The Gridiron, kept the name and made it an Italian restaurant. Very popular with the northern population who wants a good mom and pop Italian meal without having to go to one of the gourmet places in Charlotte resulting in a mortgage sized bill when it shows up. Always reminds me of Casa Mimi, but I think Casa Mimi had better food.

I wonder if people in NE Ohio appreciate how good many of the restaurant selections are.?.? There are many, many good places to eat in NE Ohio.

Unfortunately Casa Mimi"s has closed. They were our favorite Italian place in Akron. Mimi Perfetto retired quite a few years ago and sold the place to his nephew Joe Perfetto who ran it until he decided to retire also. Casa Mimi had a really great selection of unique Italian dishes including Saltimbocca and Scungilli. And after dinner you could always ask Mimi for some of his homemade Italian white lightning, Grappa. We miss the tacky Italian decor and the hillbilly waitresses from Kenmore.

Hilltopper brings back lots of memories for me. Casa Mimi was the perfect Italian family restaurant for a relaxed meal almost as if you were in your own home. The waitresses used to come to our table, sit down and tell jokes. Mimi always came out to see how we were doing. Mimi moved to Akron to start his own restaurant after having served as head chef at the legendary Mamma Leone's in New York City, also sadly now permanently closed (be sure to read that whole story in the link for an amazing history). I had some incredible times there when in NYC. The closing of Casa Mimi was a big loss to Akron.

Got to have a little White House Chicken when I was home a few weekends ago. Man I miss Barberton style chicken. Takes me back to my childhood.

Also, what's the name of that little Butcher shop in Barberton that serves Hungarian food cafeteria style, only during the week at lunchtime?

Just got back from Key West. I go there at least once a year. Good time on St. Patrick's Day this year. Anyhow, I've eaten at these three places before, but I'll recommend them to anyone who goes there.

Louie's Back Yard - Great fresh food and well prepared. Sits right on the ocean. Just opened up an upstairs part of the restaurant that serves small plates and is first come, first served. Need reservations well in advance if you want to eat downstairs.

Blue Heaven - Eat breakfast here almost ever day I can. Breakfast is actually my favorite meal of the day.

El Meson de Pepe - Next to Mallory Square where they have the sunset party each day. Watch the sun go down and then eat some Cuban food while listening to Cuban music outside.

Lots of good places to eat in Key West that the locals eat in. Didn't eat there this trip, but Michael's is well known by the locals and has very good steaks.