New Uniforms Coming

Blue & Gold

I wonder what K.e.n.t. is doing? Pee-yellow and blue. Stupid K-bird logo? Same as always?

No, they will probably make a lame attempt at trying to be trendy again, and come up with something totally stupid like they did at that bowl game a year ago.

Who can ever forget the bird-eyes that were pulled out of their logo, and put on the front edge of the helmets, which would not have meant anything to anyone who wasn't familiar with their bird? And putting the "K" on the back of the helmet, which clearly said, "We're the really unimaginative rip off of Oregon".

My main worry is that Bowden called it a uniform "option." Maybe I'm overthinking but it could mean that the chrome/gold helmets and Navy (or black) uniforms posted will just be used as an alternate. In addition to the uniforms of the past 4+ years. Both NIU and WMU's uniforms were alternate options and still worn with previous sets. Also we have yet to see any white uniforms.

Probably just being paranoid but I want to see the JD/Ianello uniforms burned and never seen again.

I'm with Captain Kangaroo on the use of the Z. There are a bunch of football teams in FBS alone whose schools start with the letter A. Just looking at a few, Arkansas has used a big letter A on their uniforms at times. So has Alabama. Auburn University uses an A superimposed on a U, which could be read as UA as easily as AU. Bottom line is that a big A or UA are not distinctive in college football. A big Z is. No one else in college football uses it. When you see a big Z on a college uniform, there's no question that it's the University of Akron Zips. When you have something unique, flaunt it.

• Like 1

Looked at both sheets on a high res screen. First uni posted was our navy blue, Coach's "option" tweet is black. So the intent would be to pull out black for a special occasion, blackout game, homecoming etc. There are also two helmet options, chrome gold with Z and chrome blue facemask, and one all chrome gold with no logo currently.

I'm with Captain Kangaroo on the use of the Z. There are a bunch of football teams in FBS alone whose schools start with the letter A. Just looking at a few, Arkansas has used a big letter A on their uniforms at times. So has Alabama. Auburn University uses an A superimposed on a U, which could be read as UA as easily as AU. Bottom line is that a big A or UA are not distinctive in college football. A big Z is. No one else in college football uses it. When you see a big Z on a college uniform, there's no question that it's the University of Akron Zips. When you have something unique, flaunt it.

I certainly cannot argue those points. If we are looking to be unique, though, it should be mentioned that the 'A' logo also incorporates the kangaroo head. As far as I know only UMKC has a kangaroo as their mascot and they are certainly much lesser known than Akron. Also the 'A' logo incorporates two of the big three identifiers of a program (school name/initial, nickname, mascot) while the 'Z' only symbolizes one of the three. The 'A' just says Akron to me more than the 'Z'.

For using the 'Z' though I do think the helmet design looks pretty good. I just don't want the jersey font or style to copy what WMU had last year.

I just don't want the jersey font or style to copy what WMU had last year.

plus_infinity.jpg

We absolutely need to keep the propriatary Akron font and not some generic crap. Very few schools have their own font. I thought it was a big mistake for UCLA to move away from their traditional numbers to a generic, although I think they still use the old school numbers periodically.

foster-jersey-lg2_medium.jpg

Looked at both sheets on a high res screen. First uni posted was our navy blue, Coach's "option" tweet is black. So the intent would be to pull out black for a special occasion, blackout game, homecoming etc. There are also two helmet options, chrome gold with Z and chrome blue facemask, and one all chrome gold with no logo currently.

I wouldn't mind a black option, but to me they both looked like the same photo. I feel like Coach's photo was more than likely black. Mainly because there seemed to be a difference between the navy blue used in the logos and the color of the jerseys.

I'm pretty indifferent to trend in new uniforms, but if we are going to do something, I like this selection.

The University recently surveyed a list of supporters. I received a poll. The "Z" logo was my favorite followed by the "A" with the kangaroo head. I've seen enough of the "Fear The Roo" merchandise (not sure what I'm supposed to be afraid of).

I've seen enough of the "Fear The Roo" merchandise (not sure what I'm supposed to be afraid of).

In Zips football, you should be afraid of improper uniform fonts. This is a major, major concern.

In Zips basketball, you should be afraid of playing high mid-major, or above-level programs.

In Zips soccer, you should be afraid of the post-Caleb apocalypse.

In Zips women's basketball, you should be afraid of losing your coach.

In Zips baseball, should should be afraid that Rembilak has anything left in the tank.

Enjoy Zips' Track and Field, and Swimming. Nothing to fear there.

Well, Mr. Kangaroo. I am glad you can make light of the pressing concern with uniform fonts, but some of us take design elements a little more seriously than you do. We have a golden opportunity here to be the first MAC football team to unveil new unis that don't blow.It is important to get it right. Thank you and good day. ;)

...but if the ARoo head was incorporated as the primary logo...so early ago...isn't it kind shooting ourselves in the foot to be rebranding again? Because this certainly feels like rebranding.

But hey, I don't care what the logo is, so long as we're winning. GO ZIPS!

...but if the ARoo head was incorporated as the primary logo...so early ago...isn't it kind shooting ourselves in the foot to be rebranding again? Because this certainly feels like rebranding.

But hey, I don't care what the logo is, so long as we're winning. GO ZIPS!

Shooting yourself in the foot is picking the wrong one from the get-go, not fixing your mistake :)

I got to thinking about this over the last few days....

If we want to be unique, lets think about how exclusive the Z logo would be? How many people can even use that??

Gonzaga could possibly use it because they often call themselves the "Zags", but that isn't even their nickname.

Who else even has a school name or nickname that starts with a Z ? Does anyone know?

We have to be careful with all of these Z's everywhere that people aren't falling asleep at the games.

Worse yet...a marketing campaign with the slogan, "Come watch Akron play and catch some Z's."