New Uniforms Coming

Blue & Gold

Switch to navy and use Akron's font. Branding is important...

I just don't understand the black jersey trend. Just because every team has a black jersey, doesn't mean we need one.

I agree. Use the school colors and the Akron font. If we need or want an alternate color jersey then make it gold with navy trim and lettering. The black and the gray trends happening now are overdone.

I like need to probably just keep my thoughts to myself about unis, since:

Hrogers.jpg

I like horse collars.

tumblr_memq03Z4LU1rge74zo1_500.jpg

I like fishnet.

bos_ucla_20130325171651_640_480.JPG

I like big oversized shoulder pads

Hwalker.jpg

I like sleeves to the elbow.

Orange841.jpg

I like half jerseys

white-tennessee.jpg

I like Reggie's facemask.

wx911h.jpg

Considering it was a one-time gift to be worn on "special occasions" I like them. Put the "Fear The Roo" patches on the shoulders and the tank patch on the front. I agree with some of the criticisms....black uniform should be navy...numbers don't match our numbers...but these look good enough to be used 1-2 games a year. Perhaps The ZipsNation faithful can all start a fund to make a donation for new uniforms. :lol:

I'm in favor of anything new that makes this team look exciting and fresh.

If they really are used for only 1-2 games I can deal with it. Sometimes gold can end up looking pretty ugly if used as a jersey. So maybe black is the next best option. Just need to fit with our branding better and not look so generic.

I'm holding out hope that we get to see new navy and white uniforms this year too.

The two teams that gain the most national exposure for UA don't wear the correct school colors. Basketball team has been silver/gray, black and blue. Football is now black and gold. It's important to have cohesiveness across all sports in order to build your brand.

@akzipper...again, isn't this new uniform just for 1-2 games a season? Everyone's over-reacting to this.

Well I'm just making assumptions based on what we've seen and Zips football being cheap in the past. In 2009 the Zips got new navy jerseys, in 2010 white to match, and this past season white pants. Have to believe that the new gold helmets and black uniforms would be all they can afford. Honestly though I hate the use of generic fonts more than the use of black. It just doesn't look like the Zips.

So yes, it's probably overreacting before we have all the facts. But what we've seen hasn't been very good...

Alternative uniforms are an interesting example of group think within college athletics. Whenever you use the words group think and college athletics together, you should immediately understand whatever they are doing is designed to enhance resumes in a meaningless way. It's not unique at this point and is only used to flush money down the hole of resume building because, having developed an alternative uniform is probably a requirement for a job in college athletics.

I don't care if we have alternative uniforms or not, but it is a silly trend that has taken place in college athletics over the years and is one of the many distractions from really important things like winning.

Lastly, Blue and Gold are the colors. Make alternative uniforms around that and I'm OK. Anything else, no thank you.

• Like 1

The "Zipper" on the helmet didn't last very long last year. Some here hated it, some love it. Every media picture/replay (Michigan game mostly, and our new football promotional stuff has it) actually makes the team look more interesting IMO. I all honesty I hated the stripe on the helmet when I first saw it (I hate change to uniforms, and I'm very concerned about the pending "change" to the Browns uniforms...). But after seeing it used, I was actually more than okay with it. Perhaps we should give it a shot.

More than anything, it just shows how out of touch some of the fan base is regarding uniforms.

Uniforms do not create a brand anymore, with all the change in current uniforms, only a handful schools are really stick to their traditional uniform. Most other schools are changing constantly.

At the end of the day, that is what THE PLAYERS want. The staff needs to do whatever it can to attract players. Uniforms, the many options of them, equipment contracts, gloves, etc.. are one of those ways.

Get used to it.

God Bless former Zips QB Matt Kaulig who ponied-up $100k of his own money to support Akron Zips football and make the uniforms possible.

Well said. Thanks to Matt to stepping up to make this happen.

Explosion of college football helmets
Wendell Neal, director of equipment operations at the University of Arizona: Just ballpark, I would budget about 50 grand for a set of helmets. Now, we don't have the liquid chrome or anything like that -- those cost more. But we have four different color shells, and those would be about $50,000 for each set
Mitch Gudmundson, director of football equipment at Indiana University: For our basic red or white helmets, I'd say about $40,000. For our chrome helmets, that was closer to $100,000