New Uniforms Coming

Blue & Gold

As a designer with more than 32 years experience, I feel that is one butt-ugly, poorly drawn font. I've hated it since it's introduction. I would prefer to keep it off the uniforms.

I like the numbers alright, but I don't care for the letters. I have noticed in a lot of UA signage that the kerning is very uneven with letters. Once you see it, then it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I like the numbers alright, but I don't care for the letters. I have noticed in a lot of UA signage that the kerning is very uneven with letters. Once you see it, then it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Which AKRON spacing do you like better, Daumantas 93 on the left, or Isaiah 56 on the right?

spacing.jpg

BTW, you can download the font here if your interested.

Edited by Dr Z

Which AKRON spacing do you like better, Daumantas 93 on the left, or Isaiah 56 on the right?

spacing.jpg

BTW, you can download the font here if your interested.

I would like Daumantas' better if the O & N were spaced like the AKR. Isaiah's isn't spaced badly but needs to be closer. I looked for a good example of the font looking bad and I found a basketball promo that shows pretty well. When looking at this example it's not the spacing but the height that is out of whack. The problem seems to be with the caps. Lower case stuff usually looks better.

12111965_829846130466888_674514061252454

The word COUNTDOWN is atrocious.

Never mind the font, although the space between the W & O is turrible. You wanna know what really drives me crazy about our current unis? The name on the back is sewed onto a patch. The patch is sewed onto the jersey and extends into the stripe. Looks awful.

wheel_151127_18.jpg

Edited by Keener'92

Akron could have gone all Nike, but when the opportunity arose, it was the soccer team that shut it down. They strongly prefer Adidas gear, and this was right at the peak of Caleb Porter's influence on campus and at a time when the football team (or any other team) wasn't in any position to overrule it. The compromise was that basketball got Nike gear and everybody else was still Adidas. Don't ask me how the contracts got resolved.

I would like Daumantas' better if the O & N were spaced like the AKR. Isaiah's isn't spaced badly but needs to be closer. I looked for a good example of the font looking bad and I found a basketball promo that shows pretty well. When looking at this example it's not the spacing but the height that is out of whack. The problem seems to be with the caps. Lower case stuff usually looks better.

12111965_829846130466888_674514061252454

The word COUNTDOWN is atrocious.

What's wrong with the word "countdown"?

Akron could have gone all Nike, but when the opportunity arose, it was the soccer team that shut it down. They strongly prefer Adidas gear, and this was right at the peak of Caleb Porter's influence on campus and at a time when the football team (or any other team) wasn't in any position to overrule it. The compromise was that basketball got Nike gear and everybody else was still Adidas. Don't ask me how the contracts got resolved.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea. If addidas was what Porter wanted, than I'm more okay with it.

• 6 months later...

Judging by this photo, this Zips are getting new uniforms.

CfCeYYtUEAEBnuQ.jpg

Basically just plainer versions of what they have worn the past 5-6 years. No striping, just 'Akron' across the front in a smaller non-italic font.

At this point it would be smart of Akron to move away from Adidas. Most schools are dropping them for Nike or UA. Any school still using Adidas has either extremely ugly, or extremely boring uniforms. In the past few years they have lost Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, UCLA, Arkansas, and Tennessee. 

At the professional level Nike owns the NFL and soon the NBA. Adidas has shifted towards the NHL and CFL. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

UB probably has the most generic branding in FBS. Boring color scheme, generic clip-art logo to go with a generic mascot, and extremely plain uniforms. It honestly reminds me of a fictional team from a TV show or movie. I get that not everyone can be the Zips, Wolverines, Flashes, Buckeyes, etc. But plenty of big time programs take generic mascots (bears, tigers, wildcats) and take the time to make them their own. 

I have a hard time believing any football player at UB could be excited about those uniforms. 

Edited by akzipper

10 minutes ago, akzipper said:

UB probably has the most generic branding in FBS. Boring color scheme, generic clip-art logo to go with a generic mascot, and extremely plain uniforms. It honestly reminds me of a fictional team from a TV show or movie.

Spot on.