UB at Akron

GJGood

Of course if it were an MVP there may be some players on some of the teams farther down in the MAC pack that were even more valuable to their own teams than even Tree is to the Zips, I just can't think of one off-hand, I guess Majok Majok comes to mind but asking where Ball State would be without him may give you the same answer as where they actually are.

Same for CMU without Fowler.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping the focus on the basketball court, which is where POY is determined, GoZips obviously has a low tolerance level for players who inflate their stats with cheap shots, like scoring an easy 2 points by taking another player out. Note that GoZips has had nothing bad to say about Justin Moss because he knows the contact that caused Jake's concussion was an accident and not deliberate.

In contrast to McCrea, Tree is widely viewed as a clean player who averages just 1.9 personal fouls per game. McCrea averages 3.3, good for the #111 national ranking in most fouls per game out of thousands of D1 players. We got another glimpse of McCrea's on-court style this season when Big Dog inadvertently got tangled up with him. McCrea's reaction of throwing the ball at Big Dog and drawing a technical only reinforced McCrea's dirty image with Zips fans.

While none of the above will make a bit of difference to any of the POY voters, it means something to Zips fans. I don't recall another Buffalo player over the years who Zips fans had any problem with, and Reggie Witherspoon was always highly regarded on this forum while he was coaching at Buffalo. But trying to defend McCrea on this forum is a losing cause.

Yellow? Wow. It may have been unintentional but, WOW!

As far as MAC POY goes it is usually quite political anyway. McCrea would have the edge on Treadwell not just because of raw numbers but also because it is his final year playing. I am not going to argue against McCrea over Treadwell for POY.

I would say, though, that Treadwell would be more deserving if it was a MVP award. There were nights when Tree seemed like the only option this year with all the players missing and the cold outside shooting we have seen at times during the season. I would argue that McCrea's supporting cast was more consistent, not better, just more consistent. For MVPs I try to look at how I think a team would've done if that player was absent. For this year I think UB without McCrea would have been better than UA without Tree (given all the other things that happened as well)

Of course if it were an MVP there may be some players on some of the teams farther down in the MAC pack that were even more valuable to their own teams than even Tree is to the Zips, I just can't think of one off-hand, I guess Majok Majok comes to mind but asking where Ball State would be without him may give you the same answer as where they actually are.

POY= McCrea MVP= Treadwell At least that is how I see it and even though I don't know how I'd feel about either of their personalities off the court, I am basing this on what happened on the court and only in the 2013-14 season.

I thought McCrea was a lock for MAC POY. Now I'm not so sure; you mean POY doesn't stand for puncher of the year?

My point in bringing up the Treadwell arrest was to point out the absurdity of the statement made by GoZips that prompted me to jump in this fray in the first place - for someone to say that McCrea doesn't deserve POY based upon a play last year and Treadwell does is putting blinders on.

Neither the Treadwell arrest or the McCrea - Kretzer play have any bearing on the POY.

Most people responding are agreeing that while you may not like McCrea, he's put up the numbers to deserve the honor. I'm not going to try and convince you that McCrea's a swell guy - we both know convincing zips fans of that is a fools errand. If the stat lines were reversed however (or if Treadwell has the numbers next year to justify POY), Treadwell's arrest would not weigh on my mind in the least as to whether or not he's deserving.

Please give it a rest. Even your fellow fans over at UB Fan aren't interested in your crap.