Best QB in the draft 2014

Dr Z

You are now GM of the Texans  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like to call this the "Let's see how bad we really suck option", or LSHBWRSO for short (pronounced les-hab-wer-so....It's Polish in origin). Two things none of us know are:

1. We don't know what we don't know.

2. We don't know what we have forgotten.

LSHBWRSO is an example of not knowing what we don't know. Teams like these are going to be bad, but they don't know how bad they are going to be until the bullets really start to fly in real games. To throw a rookie QB into this situation is horrible for the guy so it is better to wait to see if it is possible to develop some protection schemes to keep the guy from getting killed mid season when fan/owner pressure becomes so great the team has to use him.

Bridgwater was my favorite QB in this draft. He will be a star for the Vikings if the provide him with a wideout to complement Cordarrelle Patterson reasonably soon. But he is really young (21), and is best served wearing a ball cap for the bulk of this season. He'll start against the Titans tomorrow night I'm looking forward to seeing him in extended action.

Matt Cassel had a good preseason, and deserves to start. Cassel won games for the Vikings last season, when Leslie Frasier finally played him.

Somewhere in Mississippi Clayton Moore has a Christian Ponder poster on his bedroom wall. Two peas in a pod.

• 4 months later...

ESPN Vikings reporter Ben Goessling fully expects "bigger and better things" from Teddy Bridgewater in Year 2.

Bridgewater recorded the third-highest completion percentage (64.4) and seventh-highest passer rating (85.2) by a rookie in NFL history. He did it even though Cordarrelle Patterson was a liability, Kyle Rudolph was hurt, Adrian Peterson missed 15 games and he was learning Norv Turner's offense for the first time. Over the final six weeks of the season, Bridgewater was fantasy's No. 10 QB and he'll bring serious QB2 appeal heading into 2015 -- especially if the Vikings bring back Peterson.
ESPN: source

Just saw where Merrill Hoge did steelers nation proud.

Anyone agreeing with Merril's September comments these days?

Blake Bortles has a lot to work on this offseason to improve on a somewhat lackluster rookie season as the starter. To help kick things off, Bortles is going to hold a passing camp in California and has invited a lot of his teammates to join him. "Anybody that runs a route and catches passes is invited," Bortles told Ryan O'Halloran of The Florida Times-Union. "I've talked to everybody, and everybody's in." Source

Yes it should have, if you don't place any value on stats and only believe what you want to believe.

Most sports fans that can't evaluate what they see on the playing field, place way too much "value" (as you write) on stats. My favorite to read in area papers is how (fill in any Browns QB since 99) first season's stats were similar to Troy Aikman's. In Troy's first year he went 1-15 with some awful QB rating. Then he went on to win multiple SB's and is in the HOF. So there you go, every Browns QB for the last two decades will do the same because their stats were similar to Troy's his first year. I haven't read it about Johnny Cocktail yet, but if you dig, I'm sure it's there, because lots of people in this area have STAV...that's the 'Statistical Troy Aikman Virus'™. The only cure is education and trusting your eyes. Good luck.

Staying on topic, Manziel is headed to rehab.

• 5 months later...

2015 NFL QB Tier Rankings

A voting panel of 35 league insiders. The process was straightforward: The coaches and evaluators I polled placed each of the 32 projected starters into one of five tiers, with Tier 1 reserved for the very best and Tier 5 reserved for the very worst.

Carr (20) This relatively high ranking for an unestablished player reflects a fair amount of projection from voters excited about the potential they've seen to this point.

Bridgwater (23) Bridgewater made it into the third tier after a 13-game rookie season featuring 14 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions. That's not bad, but it's tough not to notice how much Bridgewater lagged behind Carr, his fellow 2014 rookie, in this survey.

Bortles (27) Bortles played sooner than anticipated and got very little support, making it tougher to evaluate him fairly. Voters were not particularly critical of Bortles, but that doesn't mean they were optimistic, either.

For reference, Manziel did not make the list, but the guy that will more than likely be the starting QB on his team (at the beginning of the season) is listed at (29).

• 3 months later...

Second reads on Derek Carr, Johnny Manziel and the 2014 QB class

Mike Sando, NFL Insider

This is part of a seven-story package assessing the state of the young NFL quarterback. Look for more on Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel, Andrew Luck, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton and others in ESPN The Magazine's How to Raise a QB Issue, on newsstands Nov. 13.

That top crop last year is looking pretty good. Winston and Mariota are doing decent for their rookie seasons last year as well. I would rate Carr as the best out of last year's class right now. The thing with that though, they went out and got him weapons. Makes it a lot easier for him to succeed.

Regarding Manziel/Browns QB situation. I think McCown has played pretty well this season.With that said, the team is 2-7. Even with good QB play, they still suck. Get some damn weapons! The BRowns have by far the worst weapons on offense compared to ANY of the QBs named above. Regardless what you think of Manziel, I think he needs to be given time to show if they can move forward with him or not so you go into next year's draft with no second guesses.

Edited by LZip

• 1 month later...

If there's one thing I'm sure on - it's that the Browns will pick the wrong one. Bortles seems like a good QB, but he might be falling victim to the hype. Before the BCS game and combine, I don't think he had nearly the expectations that he does now. Teddy Bridgewater has played with the high expectations and thrived, I think he is the best bet, but maybe not the best potential.

Not impressive last night, but congratulations goes to Teddy Bridgewater, who was the first to win a division title.

Bortles and Bridgewater finished 0.5 from each other in quarterback rating this year. Carr finished above both of them. Bortles finished one TD short of leading the league in TD passes.

Derek Carr should have been in the original poll.

Edited by Dr Z

On May 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Dr Z said:

AJ McCarron and Keith Wenning have bigger hands than all three, and will get drafted after them. I still like Wenning in a west coast offense.

If Andy Dalton can't suit up for Saturday's playoff game, Keith Wenning could be one play away from getting his first NFL snap.

Well written story on Johnny Manziel's 2015 season.

Game photos of Johnny's game in Pittsburgh.

The Browns Visit Heinz Field by Ryan Hendrickson on Exposure

This thread is funny, but as a Browns fan, also sad. No way was Cleveland going to get Bortles, but they certainly could have had Bridgewater or Carr. We all know what they did. In typical Browns fashion, they went with the immature drunk. Too bad because If Manziel could get his life together, I think he could be a serviceable NFL quaterback.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Magazine Vanity Fair

THE FIGHT TO SAVE JOHNNY MANZIEL FROM ALL-OUT SELF-DESTRUCTION 

The former Cleveland Browns quarterback’s epic fall—from the hottest thing in football to N.F.L. washout—was agonizing for those who tried to prevent it. His inner circle describes the clash of talent and temptation.

BY BRYAN BURROUGH OCTOBER 6, 2016 5:00 AM

• 2 months later...

Drafted Quarterbacks

Blake Bortles 13 Jacksonville

Johnny Manziel 22 Cleveland

Teddy Bridgewater 32 Minnesota

Derek Carr 36 Oakland

Jimmy Garoppolo 62 New England

Logan Thomas 120 Arizona

Tom Savage 135 Houston

Aaron Murray163 Kansas City

AJ McCarron 164 Cincinnati