New Info on Stadium

Z.I.P.

Catch this article in the Beacon. The way this reads, its as if the university doesn't yet have a single dollar to pay for the stadium! What the heck's going on -- attitudes sure have changed with the new admin. In any case, don't make any plans before 2011.www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/14875239.htm

This is a smokescreen. The University has committments for more than $20m in gifts, including one for $10m and another for $5m from naming rights partners. The hold up is the land that is now being purchased. They cannot announce the stadium until all of the land is bought and some of the landowners are not cooperating. The more time that it takes to get the land the more this cherade will be acted out by Akron administrators.

In case some missed the ABJ stadium column reference in the other thread, I'll re-post my response here.I think in the column is it pretty apparent Mack did not show all his cards to the reporter. Too bad the reporter never dug any deeper.In general, I'm kind of down after reading the column:I don't like the fact we're "inching" towards a new stadium. I wish we were "full steam ahead" towards building a new stadium.I don't like the fact that it's "less than 5 years away." That means it is all of 5 years away, and that means no groundbreaking for 3 years, at best.I do like the location.I don't see a problem with parking...it is a 30,000 student University, so there should be quite a few spaces to be had on a Saturday. On a Thursday night? THAT could be a problem.I hope Plusquellic doesn't do anything stupid like try and get limited parking on-campus so people have to walk from/through downtown to get to the stadium.How will the Rubber Bowl last another 5 years? Can you imagine how trashed the seats will be in 5 years? They're trashed as we speak.I don't like that "Informally we've talked to people to gauge the interest (in building a new stadium)." We need to be balls to the walls in pimping this thing to everyone and their brother in Summit County!! I was really hoping we had passed the point of informally bouncing ideas off the wall.What's the deal with acquiring land to build more soccer fields and football fields? Intramurals? I don't get it?This is the first time I've heard the soccer team possibly playing in the new stadium. I wonder how the team would feel about playing on field turf?25,000 seats, expandable to 30,000? Jesus...just make it 30,000!! The expandability should be to something like 45,000. The article pretty much jibes with what Mack inferred at the golf outing. The funding is not where it needs to be at this time. The Zips need another highly successful football campaign to get a clamor for the stadium going in the community. If the Zips went 4-8 this year (and "no" I don't see that happening) I can't see many new, wealthy sponsors busting down the doors to be associated with the program. If we build off of the success we had in 2005 and show that 20,000 fans will show up for games, the solicitation of donations will be a lot simpler. Should this be the case? Hell no. We flat-out need a new stadium, and we need it NOW. It doesn't matter what the team's 2006 record is...this is a decision that will affect the next 50 years of Akron football. Unfortunately, the team was out-of-sight-out-of-mind for two full decades and people have trouble believing we're not a f.lash in the pan. It doesn't help when the local paper won't send a reporter to freaking Athens Ohio to cover your away games either.

to answer your question capt. yes they will be for intramurals they have been talking about this for the past few years and seem to be moving forward with this as now they can replace the old softball hole. as for the football staduim i agree that they didn't play all their cards but that is smart buisness i just hope that the seating starts at 30k and they break ground in less than 2 yrs. :screwks:

i just how that the seating is starts at 30k and they break ground in less than 2 yrs. :screwks:
This sentence makes no sense. Could you please type this up again? And where do you get your info? Is there insider info to be had? Are there any presentations or sneak peaks available to the general public?

I hope that we are playing it closer to the vest. I was a big fan of MT and UAM. My only criticism was letting something slip before it happened and then not having it happen. 2 case in points - MT saying UNC was coming to the JAR for basketball, we had a handshake agreement. Point 2 was UAM mentioning about a top 25 team coming to Akron this year (which turned out to be BC). A lot of stuff can fall through. My hope is that this is further along than what the article says but we are not anywhere near close to breaking ground this fall which is what I had expected a few months ago.And given that it must be taking our legal dept 6 months to review a standard contract, who knows when anything will get done around here.

well, I remember saying 7 months ago when we were having our stadium threads here how I would very very quiety approach land owners, and that anything public would be detrimental to the ability of the university aquire the land without great prospecting and gouging from the current owners. A land owner who at one time would have accepted 10-25% over appraised value, once he hears that the University covets their land for a large project, will double or triple their price.I'm not genius or real estate expert. That's just common sense / human nature.They should have kept it close to their vest, and my suspicion is that they did, and all remaining landowners are straggler holdouts who can be dealt with through the city.

I don't care what anyone says, if we continue to win games it will speed up the process of getting a new stadium. I kind of get the feeling that right now they are trying to get a new stadium just because it is time to get one, the feeling that the current one is falling apart. But if we keep winning it will be absolutely necessary for a new stadium. The fans feel it is absolutely necessary but I don't think the powers that be feel as strongly about it as the rest of us. I don't have a concern about people holding out for more money for their properties surrounding the stadium site, I have a friend in real estate and he says "if the university really wanted to they could ask the state for assistence in getting an Eminent domain. Eminent domain is a legal systems lawful power of the state to expropriate private property without the owner's consent, either for its own use or on behalf of a third party.Governments most commonly use the power of eminent domain when the acquisition of real property is necessary for the completion of a public project such as a road, and the owner of the required property is unwilling to negotiate a price for its sale. In many jurisdictions the power of eminent domain is tempered with a right that just compensation be made for the appropriation.

I don't have a concern about people holding out for more money for their properties surrounding the stadium site, I have a friend in real estate and he says "if the university really wanted to they could ask the state for assistence in getting an Eminent domain legal systems is the lawful power of the state to expropriate private property without the owner's consent, either for its own use or on behalf of a third party.
Here is a pretty good fact sheet on the subject Eminent domain is not magic. The University can not just wave a magic wand and say "eminent domain"and they receive the property they choose. It may wind up in court taking more than a year.

I don't have a concern about people holding out for more money for their properties surrounding the stadium site, I have a friend in real estate and he says "if the university really wanted to they could ask the state for assistence in getting an Eminent domain legal systems is the lawful power of the state to expropriate private property without the owner's consent, either for its own use or on behalf of a third party.
Here is a pretty good fact sheet on the subject Eminent domain is not magic. The University can not just wave a magic wand and say "eminent domain"and they receive the property they choose. It may wind up in court taking more than a year.
Great info. and a great point but the point is they "could get the property" and what's the difference according to articles and blogs we are years away anyway. Why not get it started incase it is a long legal battle? I don't know much about real estate, but if you know you absolutely wanna put the stadium in a certain location, i would make sure I was definately getting the property, wouldn't you?! I wouldn't let 2, 3, or even 10 $20-$80 thousand dollar houses keep me from a million dollar project. And if it is more then lets say 10 houses or properties that are willing to sell, maybe "we" need to find an alternate location. So the stadium is only 3 years away instead of 5 to 10 years away. I don't know just my opinion, if I am missing something please fill me in I admit I don't know the first thing about real estate.

I brought up eminent domain when I said that holdouts can be delt with through the city (most eminent domain action occurs at the local level), but MY point was that some of it could have been avoided if the University had very quietyly made offers to the land owners before a "campus stadium" become a public issue. Under those circumstances, most of the landowners would have accepted offers at a small fraction above appraised value. Now, it may be too late, and holdouts are going to try to score what they think is the jackpot.

blue and gold thanks for the catch was typing on the run... i edited my post if you'd like to look at it again.... as for the second part of your question i am not assuming that info was insider... i am a recent grad of almost 3 yrs now and when i was finishing up school they had made up designs for a presentation at the jar. they also showed pics of a completed student union and rec center. if my memory is correct the design showed lots of fields with lots of lighting and and nice brick walkway starting at exchange. i am sure this has always been the idea as there are really no more softball feilds (for students) and i am sure the university doesn't want students playing football in the bowl any more let alone the new outdoor field.... i am sure thoose plans could have changed by now but it is looking more like they are moving ahead with this planhere's to another great add to the university!oh... and :screwks:

Trust me, the land owners around the University know that they are sitting on a goldmine. They new it 10 years ago and they know it now. It's not rocket science. You own a slum on the edge of a growing University jammed in the middle of a city. What do you think is gonna happen? Rent the place out to some kids and just keep the place from falling down, make a little cash and wait for your payday! That's not to say that all the talk of a stadium at the corner of Brown and Exchange wouldn't raise property prices there, they are just going to be inflated that much more now.

Don't know if anyone has seen this but check this link out... for some reason the link to the story won't work but it does give this info.

University of Akron stadium on horizonJune 26, 2006 (feedback) (submit story) The University of Akron is inching ahead with a plan to build a stadium near downtown. Trustees agreed Wednesday to buy another property to help pave the way for what could be a $60 million facility for soccer and football. Nothing is set in stone, but Ted Curtis, UA vice president for capital planning and facilities management, is optimistic the long-sought stadium is less than five years away. As discussed now, it would straddle two blocks bounded by East Exchange, Brown, Vine and Spicer streets east of campus.
http://www.footballstadiumdigest.com/

Domain can take 2-3 years to execute. Sun Bar & Grill ain't gonna go cheap. One business can ruin the whole deal. University cant pay more than 10% over appraised value for property due to State Law. This project is limping and is bleeding from the head down.

Domain can take 2-3 years to execute. Sun Bar & Grill ain't gonna go cheap. One business can ruin the whole deal. University cant pay more than 10% over appraised value for property due to State Law. This project is limping and is bleeding from the head down.
:laugh_up: