Football Roster

1 hour ago, Buckzip said:

ROFLMAO. Yep. I said Akron sucks and Bowden sucks. I also said Barto was a great linebacker. Oh, that's right. I didn't say any of those things. There are a few dishonest posters here that like to make things up.

It's obvious my point went directly north of of your cranium. You guys have made this entire discussion about Barto while ignoring everything else. Barto is merely the latest example. I know nothing about him other than what I have read. 

Since you have all made this only about Barto and keep ignoring everything else I will make one last factual statement about Barto. 

Barto was offered a scholarship to Akron.

Barto, according to a Memphis newspaper dated in May, decided to walk on at Memphis instead of taking the scholly at Akron. 

Those two point are facts, unless he never was offered a scholly to Akron as was stated here. 

What happened after this is irrelevant. Perhaps Memphis pulled his PWO offer, perhaps he didn't have grades, perhaps his fantasy girl is in Illinois. I have no idea how he ended up in Illinois. It doesn't matter in this conversation. 

What you guys are missing, in your feeble attempts to make fun of me, is that a guy that Akron offered a full ride to was willing to pay to go to a mid major and then ended up in a lower division.  Not sure how you can't see that. 

If fair sampling means that most of the teams you listed are the typical bottom feeders, then I would agree. I notice how most of the teams I used as examples aren't on that list. Lol. Perfect example of accepting mediocrity. 

Dude you're pretty dishonest, and then calling us dishonest.  Don't play dumb.  Don't act like you weren't implying that Bowden is a bad recruiter by making the point that "most we're their only D-I offer".  It's CLEAR what you're implying.  (hence, Bowden sucks comments).  Trying to say not what you were implying is backpedaling, at best.

You were also implying the loss of Barto as a negative for the team because he decided to walk onto memphis.  You may not have said directly that Barto was a good LB, but you did mention it as a negative that he didn't end up here.  We also have plenty of other guys who had 1, 2, 3 D-1 offers who are here and didn't walk-on somewhere else.  Bringing it up as a negative isn't fair.  You acknowledge the facts, and list the "ifs" as irrelevant.  I disagree with you.  The reasoning he left isn't irrelevant.  Because implying, (and yes you are implying by how you've said things) as if it's unique to Akron, and it verifiably isn't.  

How about you go compile your own damn list Buck?  Back your own argument up with facts instead of pulling crap out of your ass and calling the rest of us dishonest, and tell me i'm being dishonest.  I missed most of your list?  You had BG, Toledo, and NIU.  Well here's the other two because you're accusing me of dishonesty/cherry-picking.

Here's Toledo:  11/25 (44%)
Here's NIU:  12/23 (52%) *Two of their multiple D-1 offers are now JUCO*

But I'm not here to stroke your ego.  Go do your own groundbreaking, earth shattering research and post you're own damn results if you're unhappy with mine.  Until then you're nothing more than a troll. 

Edited by Balsy

5 hours ago, Balsy said:

So the walk on at Memphis didn't work for him :rofl:

Coulda had a D-1 full ride.  Decided to walk-on to a program that in his home down.  Didn't work out, so now he's at Eastern Illinois, a program no better off than ours in FCS. :rofl:

Now Buck Zip will continue to tell us how we missed out on this "great" LB, who ended up at not at a D-1 school, but an middle-ling FCS school.

Here's according to 247:  We'll ignore who's actually on rosters because I don't care to compare the two, and NOBODY actually knows how accurate rosters posted to websites are to reality.  So just going by what's posted on 247 amount of 2017 recruiting class which the MAC school was their only D-1 offer.

Eastern Michigan  19/25 (76%) EMU was their only offer, several of which (3-4) are now with other non-D-1 teams.  No idea how many are actually at camp either, because I don't care to actually check their roster compared to their recruiting class.

Bowling Green  9/21 (42%) First guy on the list who had four offers, and enrolled early, is now with a CC according to the site, another who had 6 offers (one from Auburn) is now at JUCO, most guys with multiple offers were other 1, 2 MAC schools.

Buffalo  13/21 (61%)  One guy with multiple offers (2) is now with a JUCO school according to the site.

Ohio  11/22 (50%)  This was more difficult, because guys would have "multiple" offers, but all except Ohio's would be FCS schools.  Nathan Rourke who's other offer was Akron is now at JUCO.  Another guy with multiple D-1 offers (E. Kentucky) is also at JUCO.  Another two guys who's only offers were Ohio, are also now with JUCO.

Akron 13/21 (61%)  Will Barto had no other official offers according to this site, and of course we know he's gone.

I think this is a fair sampling.  It seems like this is just more the life of the MAC than it is because Akron/Bowden sucks.

Thanks for doing the research, I wanted to but don't have time ATM.

It's harder to make baseless accusations in the presence of data.

As for Bar to, I don't believe it was known whether he was a scholarship or a preferred walk-on or whether we revoked or he decided he wanted to pursue a different route. I would bet $$ we would find an over-involved parent or parents are in the mix, here, though.

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

Dude you're pretty dishonest, and then calling us dishonest.  Don't play dumb.  Don't act like you weren't implying that Bowden is a bad recruiter by making the point that "most we're their only D-I offer".  It's CLEAR what you're implying.  (hence, Bowden sucks comments).  Trying to say not what you were implying is backpedaling, at best.

You were also implying the loss of Barto as a negative for the team because he decided to walk onto memphis.  You may not have said directly that Barto was a good LB, but you did mention it as a negative that he didn't end up here.  We also have plenty of other guys who had 1, 2, 3 D-1 offers who are here and didn't walk-on somewhere else.  Bringing it up as a negative isn't fair.  You acknowledge the facts, and list the "ifs" as irrelevant.  I disagree with you.  The reasoning he left isn't irrelevant.  Because implying, (and yes you are implying by how you've said things) as if it's unique to Akron, and it verifiably isn't.  

How about you go compile your own damn list Buck?  Back your own argument up with facts instead of pulling crap out of your ass and calling the rest of us dishonest, and tell me i'm being dishonest.  I missed most of your list?  You had BG, Toledo, and NIU.  Well here's the other two because you're accusing me of dishonesty/cherry-picking.

Here's Toledo:  11/25 (44%)
Here's NIU:  12/23 (52%) *Two of their multiple D-1 offers are now JUCO*

But I'm not here to stroke your ego.  Go do your own groundbreaking, earth shattering research and post you're own damn results if you're unhappy with mine.  Until then you're nothing more than a troll. 

Sorry to upset you so much dude. Have a beer and relax. 

6 hours ago, zzx said:

--- The roster has been updated again, and now includes photos of new players  

--- Freshman DB Zaire Jacobs finally appears on the roster --- along with some other new names:

--- including MJ McGriff a WR transfer from Illinois

--- McGriff's 247

--- McGriff's HUDL

Interesting, McGriff has an impressive original offer list...was offered by MAC teams Akron, BG, NIU and Toledo but wound up at Akron.  I take it he'll have to sit out this year?

I have a feeling the roster will continually be updated until game 1, the washiness of it is really perplexing.

7 hours ago, zzx said:

--- The roster has been updated again, and now includes photos of new players  

--- Freshman DB Zaire Jacobs finally appears on the roster --- along with some other new names:

--- including MJ McGriff a WR transfer from Illinois

--- McGriff's 247

--- McGriff's HUDL

Love his highlight video. Looks like a heck of a playmaker. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Also new to the list is Freshman WR Andre Williams from Orlando Florida.  Williams continues an Akron trend of signing players who only have one D-1 Offer, he fielded offers from Kentucky, North Carolina, Akron, Middle Tennessee, NC State and USF.  

Of the 13 (not 20) that signed LOI on signing day, 2 are not on the roster: Bently from SVSM and Reggie Corner Jr. I assume the rest were recruited as walk-ons. It's hard to know which of the folks we added after signing day are scholarships. If a kid is a walk-on, you cannot list him on the roster until he is enrolled for classes (NCAA rules) unless that has changed, recently. I don't think they can participate with the team until classes begin if they are not a PWO. I might be remembering the rules incorrectly, but that was the essence of them, I believe. There are other reasons than being a non-qualifier and not coming that kids do not appear on the roster.

6 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Of the 13 (not 20) that signed LOI on signing day, 2 are not on the roster: Bently from SVSM and Reggie Corner Jr. I assume the rest were recruited as walk-ons. It's hard to know which of the folks we added after signing day are scholarships. If a kid is a walk-on, you cannot list him on the roster until he is enrolled for classes (NCAA rules) unless that has changed, recently. I don't think they can participate with the team until classes begin if they are not a PWO. I might be remembering the rules incorrectly, but that was the essence of them, I believe. There are other reasons than being a non-qualifier and not coming that kids do not appear on the roster.

I know, I was being tongue in cheek.  I'm really, really, really trying to get people to not freak about about my roster updates (players missing so on) because it literally means nothing, and appears to be as fluid as air or water.

• 10 months later...
On 3/19/2017 at 9:23 AM, Balsy said:

I've Updated the Roster, for convenience the PDF is below, as well as the original post.  Take a look at it and see what you see!  The confirmed incoming class is currently listed as freshman (even though it's not on the website's roster), but we're assuming that they will be here come fall.

Zips Roster UPDATE SPRING 2017.pdf

Additions (besides the incoming class of freshman):

(RS) SO WR Jason Grossman

Jason Grossman is out in Las Vegas tackling suspects in the middle of four lane highways. 

• Like 2