Football Roster

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

How would you compare the cost of his Akron education in 2016 to the cost of his Akron education in 2017?

$10,000 vs $_________

"I'm sorry...the correct answer is "What is Free."

What I'm pointing out is the central problem in College Athletics.  The assumption is, because student athletes are getting a "free education" the universities, tv networks, "non-profit" organizations like the NCAA, can financially benefit from the likeness of the athlete.  But education isn't free, they earn it by working.  Essentially by playing for the team without a scholarship was free labor.  The University directly (well supposedly so) benefits from the play.  Getting a scholarship now, even after working and getting PT in the regular season is work.  If you have to work in order to get something, it certainly ain't free!  Can he not play on the football team and still get the education?  Nope.  Certainly ain't free, it comes at a cost.  A cost he seems to be okay with.  But there is a transaction that takes play and therefore, again I feel compelled to point out that it isn't free.  It's earned.

14 minutes ago, Balsy said:

What I'm pointing out is the central problem in College Athletics.  The assumption is, because student athletes are getting a "free education" the universities, tv networks, "non-profit" organizations like the NCAA, can financially benefit from the likeness of the athlete.  But education isn't free, they earn it by working.  Essentially by playing for the team without a scholarship was free labor.  The University directly (well supposedly so) benefits from the play.  Getting a scholarship now, even after working and getting PT in the regular season is work.  If you have to work in order to get something, it certainly ain't free!  Can he not play on the football team and still get the education?  Nope.  Certainly ain't free, it comes at a cost.  A cost he seems to be okay with.  But there is a transaction that takes play and therefore, again I feel compelled to point out that it isn't free.  It's earned.

Well said, while the education is of great value, these kids or young men are putting long days of school, film, practice, lift, studying day in & day out, 1% get D1 scholarships & some can't handle the workload & don't make it, good to see one that put the work in with no scholarship get rewarded

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Balsy said:

It isn't free.  He works, trains, attends meetings, practices and then plays on Saturdays (or is available to play on Saturday).  That's not free, it's definitely a transaction that takes place.  I feel compelled to point that out.

Point taken. I should have said, "Congrats on earning a very valuable scholarship."

• Like 1

I'm old, and remain a little bit "old school" on this debate.  

When I think about all of the crappy ass jobs I had to work to pay for school, all the financial sacrifices I had to make. the jalopy car I drove, and the 10 years of payments to a bank, I only wish that I was playing a sport and had my bills paid.  I'm sure they do more than most people thing.  But, Student/Athletes get one heck of a deal in exchange for participating in a sport (and tuition was much, much cheaper in my day).  It may not be "free", but I don't feel sorry for them either. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zzx said:

I noticed that some player's names have been removed from the roster:

DL Andy Jean-Baptiste

WR Bryce Dixon

WR Freddie Simmons Jr.

20 minutes ago, zzx said:

Also LB Brian Bell

Noooo! Interesting that those names get taken off but Lane, LTT's, and the seniors are still on there...

I won't update the roster attached to this page until after signing day.  But even then, I've noticed that people will disappear from the roster, to reappear on it months later.  I couldn't tell you why that is, but I wouldn't read too much into it until we have an official one released prior to spring training.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

No, I was mistaken.  I confused Jaquavis Dixon with Thaddeus Snodgrass (a transfer from Kentucky).

But now that I'm looking, Thaddeus Snodgrass isn't on the roster either :unsure:

Freddie Simmons Jr. was a WR transfer from Maryland, right?

Simmons and Bryce Dixon came from NC State.

• Like 1

They were enrolled and sat out last year.  Anyone know the transfer rules for this situation?   Freddie Simmons' bio page still shows on Gozips.com but there is no info.  Only a pic.  Dixon's is gone altogether. 

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

But now that I'm looking, Thaddeus Snodgrass isn't on the roster either :unsure:

WR Snodgrass never appeared on the roster and neither did TE Darryl Long. Both were supposed transfers from Kentucky. If you  look at Long's twitter, he indicates association with Akron football. Snodgrass' twitter does not. I am not sure what it means if anything, but Snodgrass is also following a bunch of coaches from other schools.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zzx said:

WR Snodgrass never appeared on the roster and neither did TE Darryl Long. Both were supposed transfers from Kentucky. If you  look at Long's twitter, he indicates association with Akron football. Snodgrass' twitter does not. I am not sure what it means if anything, but Snodgrass is also following a bunch of coaches from other schools.

Next man up.

I've Updated the Roster, for convenience the PDF is below, as well as the original post.  Take a look at it and see what you see!  The confirmed incoming class is currently listed as freshman (even though it's not on the website's roster), but we're assuming that they will be here come fall.

Zips Roster UPDATE SPRING 2017.pdf

Additions (besides the incoming class of freshman):

(RS) SO WR Jason Grossman

Sr. OL Matt Blaha (Disappeared from the Roster at some point last season and is now back on it...)

RS Fr OL Josh Snow

RS Fr OL Tito Vasquez

Sr. OL LaVonne Gauthney (also apparently disappeared from the roster at some point last season)

RS Fr P Peyton Coffman

Jr CB Hugh Cade 

SO CB Alvin Davis

Jr CB Myrian Mounds 

RS FR LB Demarkus Glover

Losses (besides the outgoing senior class):

(RS) SO WR Isiah Rainey-Nix

(RS) SO WR Freddie Simmons

(RS) SO DL Andy Jean-Baptiste 

Jr LB Brian Bell

Interesting Notes:

A couple of players shifted around, MTB is now a TE (which we knew about), Anthony Young and Kwadarrius Smith are no longer listed as ATH, but now as WR.  A couple of players made the shift to either DL or OL.  And we have just about a million RS Freshman OL.  

For the first time ever, we have more people in the FRESHMAN category than each of the other three individually.

Please let me know if something is wrong/or an update that I may be unaware of.  It takes a little bit of time to update the list and sometimes something slips through the cracks.  

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

I've Updated the Roster, for convenience the PDF is below, as well as the original post.  Take a look at it and see what you see!  The confirmed incoming class is currently listed as freshman (even though it's not on the website's roster), but we're assuming that they will be here come fall.

Zips Roster UPDATE SPRING 2017.pdf

Additions (besides the incoming class of freshman):

(RS) SO WR Jason Grossman

Sr. OL Matt Blaha (Disappeared from the Roster at some point last season and is now back on it...)

RS Fr OL Josh Snow

RS Fr OL Tito Vasquez

Sr. OL LaVonne Gauthney (also apparently disappeared from the roster at some point last season)

RS Fr P Peyton Coffman

Jr CB Hugh Cade 

SO CB Alvin Davis

Jr CB Myrian Mounds 

RS FR LB Demarkus Glover

Losses (besides the outgoing senior class):

(RS) SO WR Isiah Rainey-Nix

(RS) SO WR Freddie Simmons

(RS) SO DL Andy Jean-Baptiste 

Jr LB Brian Bell

Interesting Notes:

A couple of players shifted around, MTB is now a TE (which we knew about), Anthony Young and Kwadarrius Smith are no longer listed as ATH, but now as WR.  A couple of players made the shift to either DL or OL.  And we have just about a million RS Freshman OL.  

For the first time ever, we have more people in the FRESHMAN category than each of the other three individually.

Please let me know if something is wrong/or an update that I may be unaware of.  It takes a little bit of time to update the list and sometimes something slips through the cracks.  

Very nice, what happened to Bell?

Updated once more.  Zips Roster UPDATE SPRING 2017.pdf

Some of the Missing are freshman from the current class, why they're not on it (greyshirts?) I have no idea.  Only reporting what's posted on GoZips.  Note:  I take what's posted on GoZips with a grain of salt.  Often I see player disappear and reappear on it months later.  No idea how "official" these rosters are.  I'm willing to bet a lot of the FR will show up on the roster in the future, but as of RIGHT NOW are not on the "official" GoZips roster.  :D  I prematurely added the freshman class in Springball, thinking they'd be on the roster by training camp...who knows.  Enjoy.

Classes are a little more...balanced...than in previous years 21-21-26-25.

MISSING FROM PREVIOUS:

FR S Reggie Corner (RB)

FR S Jerome Cooper

FR DB Zaire Jacobs

FR DB Marquess Callaway

FR DL Marcus Kidd

FR DL Malik Townsend

FR DL Tracy Jordan

FR DL Joe Corner

FR RB Marquess Bridges

FR RB Kennedy Pickens

FR WR Justin Sampson