Football Roster

4 hours ago, Buckzip said:

Now corner is missing too. Absofreakingridiculous how many players vanish from this team. Let's all look forward to next years signing day announcement of 20 and then 11 show up in the fall.  SMDH. 

Corner still has some academics to address before he can play. The coaches I spoke to are confident he'll get the work done in the classroom and the Zips will have an elite level football player in 2018.

11 hours ago, Buckzip said:

Now corner is missing too. Absofreakingridiculous how many players vanish from this team. Let's all look forward to next years signing day announcement of 20 and then 11 show up in the fall.  SMDH. 

Don't worry. I am sure Bowden will bring in a P5 transfer to replace him that also won't qualify. Nothing to see here. 

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Corner still has some academics to address before he can play. The coaches I spoke to are confident he'll get the work done in the classroom and the Zips will have an elite level football player in 2018.

Free beer tomorrow 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Don't worry. I am sure Bowden will bring in a P5 transfer to replace him that also won't qualify. Nothing to see here. 

QFT. 

The classes aren't that good on signing day. Then many of those guys don't even make it. 

I dont understand how the Bowden name alone can't get better classes then we get. 

A rough guess would be that at least 90% of the players on this team had Akron as their best offer. Even when we beat out other MAC teams it is Kent, Buff, etc. We rarely beat out Toledo, BG, N Illinois, etc.

Will Bowden ever stop bringing in guys that he knows won't qualify? 1-2 is one thing but multiple every freaking year is ridiculous. 

Lee Owens seemed to bring in more talent playing at the rubber bowl and having no facilities.  

Many get all excited when we bring in locals. Again, unless those guys have multiple D1 offers, and can play, why did it matter? Having local players doesn't increase their talent level. 

I know I am being negative and that ticks some off, but I can guarantee you that if any of these early verbals for the 2018 class blows up their senior year and other "progrums" start offering them, they are gone. Akron is a place holder. That is unless they never qualify and then TB will tout them on signing day never to be heard from again. 

Hell, Will Barto had a scholly from Akron. He decided to walk on at Memphis instead. Memphis. Not Alabama, Not Notre Dame, Not Tennessee.  MEMPHIS.  

Think about that. A guy would rather pay to play at Memphis then get a free ride to Akron. 

Off of my soap box now. It will return next year at this time to probably say the same thing. 

Edited by Buckzip

So let me get this straight...the Zips received a commitment from a kid with the following accolades:

• The Stark County Defensive PotY
  • First team All-Ohio Division 1 
  • Father that played 4 years for the Zips, and also played multiple years in the NFL. 

And this is the straw that broke the camel's back and necessitated the soap box rant huh? We don't want this kid coming to Akron? Bizarre.

3 hours ago, Buckzip said:

Hell, Will Barto had a scholly from Akron. He decided to walk on at Memphis instead. Memphis. Not Alabama, Not Notre Dame, Not Tennessee.  MEMPHIS.  

Think about that. A guy would rather pay to play at Memphis then get a free ride to Akron. 

Considering Will Barto's dad played at Memphis...maybe he wanted to go there, and had a change of heart.  And isn't he from/living in Memphis?  Like I get where you're coming from, but there's always more to the story.  Did Will Barto really leave because it was Akron, or did he decide he didn't want to go to Ohio and be so far away from home.  Perhaps it hit home a little for him.  IDK, I just think it's unfair to use him as an example.  We don't know how frequent this happens at other D-I schools not in the P5...because let's be real, the P5 teams are getting mostly kids who are gunning for the NFL or believe that they are.

There's a reason I put a caveat on there that the Freshman class largely isn't on the list (for some reason, which I've seen happen in the past, to suddenly appear months later, sometimes even during the season.  Literally you can't read into the GoZips Roster all that much.  

Edited by Balsy

3 hours ago, Buckzip said:

The same Will Barto that people thought was a D-2 talent? We're mad about "losing" this kid?

Memphis is a step down from Akron? They went 10-2, 9-4 and 8-5 in their last 3 seasons, against better competition than the MAC. Paxton Lynch was a 1st round NFL draft pick. Bizarre....

• Like 2

Will Barto is a funny example. There isn't enough coverage to know all of the details. I would imagine we pulled the offer on the kid. I'd much rather have Meeks anyways who probably had a better offer list pre-injury than any other MAC commit in 2017, but I do agree that all of these guys not qualifying is getting a bit depressing. Crying about the "local" kids is dumb though as the current crop have not played a single down yet and we have had many local kids be key cogs on the team. I believe there were even some articles on it during the bowl season.

Edited by LZIp

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The same Will Barto that people thought was a D-2 talent? We're mad about "losing" this kid?

Memphis is a step down from Akron? They went 10-2, 9-4 and 8-5 in their last 3 seasons, against better competition than the MAC. Paxton Lynch was a 1st round NFL draft pick. Bizarre....

Yes. That Will Barto. I don't care if he was D2 or D3. The guy still would prefer to pay at Memphis than get a free ride at Akron. 

Did I say Memphis was a step down? No, I didn't. But they aren't a top 20 team either.  Maybe he should walk on at Buffalo. After all, they had a first round pick in Mack. 

7 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

So let me get this straight...the Zips received a commitment from a kid with the following accolades:

• The Stark County Defensive PotY
  • First team All-Ohio Division 1 
  • Father that played 4 years for the Zips, and also played multiple years in the NFL. 

And this is the straw that broke the camel's back and necessitated the soap box rant huh? We don't want this kid coming to Akron? Bizarre.

You are great at putting words in people's mouths, or should I say words in people's posts?

6 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

You are great at putting words in people's mouths, or should I say words in people's posts?

You did say:

10 hours ago, Buckzip said:

Many get all excited when we bring in locals. Again, unless those guys have multiple D1 offers, and can play, why did it matter? Having local players doesn't increase their talent level. 

I know I am being negative and that ticks some off, but I can guarantee you that if any of these early verbals for the 2018 class blows up their senior year and other "progrums" start offering them, they are gone. Akron is a place holder. That is unless they never qualify and then TB will tout them on signing day never to be heard from again. 

It's pretty clear why Captain responded the way he did.  He didn't create a strawman argument, or put words in your mouth.  You said it yourself.

I mean we used to get guys who didn't have any D1 offers from Florida...who would you rather have, guys with no D1 offers from Florida or other states or Ohio?  

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

You did say:

It's pretty clear why Captain responded the way he did.  He didn't create a strawman argument, or put words in your mouth.  You said it yourself.

I mean we used to get guys who didn't have any D1 offers from Florida...who would you rather have, guys with no D1 offers from Florida or other states or Ohio?  

He did put words in my mouth. You can keep defending him but I never said Memphis was a step down from Akron. 

I also never said anything bad about Reggie Corner, whom I am assuming he was referencing in his sarcasm. Unless you are thinking I was saying "all": local recruits are bad. Which I again, never said. But guys getting excited because we have so many local recruits is ridiculous. Let's just sign the Akron all city team every year. Maybe that will make us great. 

just because I believe that PAYING to go to Memphis and be a PWO, versus getting a full ride to Akron, where he may get some playing time, is a bad look for Akron isn't a straw man. 

i don't give a crap what the record of Memphis was. They are not an elite program. Obviously they are a step above Akron. After all, the vast majority of D1 is, but if you can't see how bad this looks to Akron, then you have just adopted the losing mentality which is a big part of what is wrong with Akron football. 

10 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

:zzz:

Are we seriously going to rehash this, again?

Let's make a deal. 

You ask all of the posters that get all excited over all of these supposed stud transfers and supposed big time players that we hear are coming in Dec-February that never show up, and I will stop complaining that this happens every freaking year. 

I honestly don't understand how it doesn't seem to bother anyone other than me that Bowden seems to only be able to get good players under 2 conditions. 

1-They won't qualify, so bigger schools won't take them

2-They were injured, so bigger schools won't take them. 

The rest mostly, with a few exceptions, have Akron as their best offer. If I had time and thought anyone cared, I would make a list of players that both Akron, Toledo, BG, N. Illinois offered and see what percentage Akron got of those players. 

I am really done with this now. It is amazing how some posters here just refuse to see how ridiculous this crap is every single year. 

1 hour ago, Buckzip said:

Let's make a deal. 

You ask all of the posters that get all excited over all of these supposed stud transfers and supposed big time players that we hear are coming in Dec-February that never show up, and I will stop complaining that this happens every freaking year. 

I honestly don't understand how it doesn't seem to bother anyone other than me that Bowden seems to only be able to get good players under 2 conditions. 

1-They won't qualify, so bigger schools won't take them

2-They were injured, so bigger schools won't take them. 

The rest mostly, with a few exceptions, have Akron as their best offer. If I had time and thought anyone cared, I would make a list of players that both Akron, Toledo, BG, N. Illinois offered and see what percentage Akron got of those players. 

I am really done with this now. It is amazing how some posters here just refuse to see how ridiculous this crap is every single year. 

Thank you for making more generalizations based on a myopic study of 1 G5 school.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zzx said:

Barto is not at Memphis --- he is  at Eastern Illinois

So the walk on at Memphis didn't work for him :rofl:

Coulda had a D-1 full ride.  Decided to walk-on to a program that in his home down.  Didn't work out, so now he's at Eastern Illinois, a program no better off than ours in FCS. :rofl:

Now Buck Zip will continue to tell us how we missed out on this "great" LB, who ended up at not at a D-1 school, but an middle-ling FCS school.

14 hours ago, Buckzip said:

Here's according to 247:  We'll ignore who's actually on rosters because I don't care to compare the two, and NOBODY actually knows how accurate rosters posted to websites are to reality.  So just going by what's posted on 247 amount of 2017 recruiting class which the MAC school was their only D-1 offer.

Eastern Michigan  19/25 (76%) EMU was their only offer, several of which (3-4) are now with other non-D-1 teams.  No idea how many are actually at camp either, because I don't care to actually check their roster compared to their recruiting class.

Bowling Green  9/21 (42%) First guy on the list who had four offers, and enrolled early, is now with a CC according to the site, another who had 6 offers (one from Auburn) is now at JUCO, most guys with multiple offers were other 1, 2 MAC schools.

Buffalo  13/21 (61%)  One guy with multiple offers (2) is now with a JUCO school according to the site.

Ohio  11/22 (50%)  This was more difficult, because guys would have "multiple" offers, but all except Ohio's would be FCS schools.  Nathan Rourke who's other offer was Akron is now at JUCO.  Another guy with multiple D-1 offers (E. Kentucky) is also at JUCO.  Another two guys who's only offers were Ohio, are also now with JUCO.

Akron 13/21 (61%)  Will Barto had no other official offers according to this site, and of course we know he's gone.

I think this is a fair sampling.  It seems like this is just more the life of the MAC than it is because Akron/Bowden sucks.

Edited by Balsy

ROFLMAO. Yep. I said Akron sucks and Bowden sucks. I also said Barto was a great linebacker. Oh, that's right. I didn't say any of those things. There are a few dishonest posters here that like to make things up.

It's obvious my point went directly north of of your cranium. You guys have made this entire discussion about Barto while ignoring everything else. Barto is merely the latest example. I know nothing about him other than what I have read. 

Since you have all made this only about Barto and keep ignoring everything else I will make one last factual statement about Barto. 

Barto was offered a scholarship to Akron.

Barto, according to a Memphis newspaper dated in May, decided to walk on at Memphis instead of taking the scholly at Akron. 

Those two point are facts, unless he never was offered a scholly to Akron as was stated here. 

What happened after this is irrelevant. Perhaps Memphis pulled his PWO offer, perhaps he didn't have grades, perhaps his fantasy girl is in Illinois. I have no idea how he ended up in Illinois. It doesn't matter in this conversation. 

What you guys are missing, in your feeble attempts to make fun of me, is that a guy that Akron offered a full ride to was willing to pay to go to a mid major and then ended up in a lower division.  Not sure how you can't see that. 

If fair sampling means that most of the teams you listed are the typical bottom feeders, then I would agree. I notice how most of the teams I used as examples aren't on that list. Lol. Perfect example of accepting mediocrity.