@Purdue, Sat 1:30 ESPN2

MDZip

Intriguing part is Purdue played 4 MAC teams this season. So Akron should have no shortage of game tape to get a good scouting report on the Boilermakers. Here's the 4 results against the MAC

11/10 vs Ball State W, 63-57

11/17 @ Toledo W, 81-79

12/22 vs Bowling Green W, 57-48

12/28 vs Central Michigan W, 109-97

Intriguing part is Purdue played 4 MAC teams this season. So Akron should have no shortage of game tape to get a good scouting report on the Boilermakers. Here's the 4 results against the MAC

11/10 vs Ball State W, 63-57

11/17 @ Toledo W, 81-79

12/22 vs Bowling Green W, 57-48

12/28 vs Central Michigan W, 109-97

Thanks for the info. I think that shows we have a chance.

I guess the only thing that could have been better is if we got a #12, which would mean we wouldn't have had to play the home team on their court until the 2nd round.

Here's a little stat comparison on the teams. Parentheses states where nationally that statistic ranked compared to the rest of the country.N/A means not in Top 50.

Team

Scoring Offense:
Purdue - 74.6(#49) , Akron - 82.8(#9)

AST/TO Ratio: Purdue- N/A , Akron - 1.27(#17)

Assists/gm: Purdue - 16.0(#39), Akron - 18.6(#6)

Blocks/gm: Purdue - 4.6(#38), Akron- N/A

FG %: Purdue- N/A, Akron - 45.3(#17)

Free Throw %: Purdue - 78.6%(#5), Akron - 77.1%(#12)

Scoring Margin: Purdue- N/A, Akron - 10.1(#38)

Three PT Field Goal %: Purdue - 38.1%(#6), Akron- N/A

Here's some individual stats. Only putting up stats of players in Top 50 in any category.

Purdue

Three Point Field Goals/gm: Courtney Moses, 2.62(#

Akron

Points Per Game: Hannah Luburgh, 22.7(#11), Rachel Tecca, 22.2(#14)

Free Throw % : Hannah Luburgh, 86.0%(#32)

Total # of Points This Season: Hanna Luburgh, 725(#11), Rachel Tecca, 711(#13)

Assists Per Game: Kacie Cassell, 6.3(#14)

Assist Turnover Ratio: Kacie Cassell, 2.38(#24)

I don't like playing a true road game, but if we can win that game, we'll have a neutral court in Round of 32. Who knows? Maybe Purdue fans would support us if we some how beat them. The one thing we do have going for us compared to Purdue, is we played on March 15th. Playing exactly a week later(almost exactly 168 hours too) compared to Boilermaker's layoff should help. Purdue hasn't played a game since March 7th. Possibly a bit of rust there where we can get a lead early on them.

I was just looking at the Bracket and perhaps someone can answer this for me, but is there as much parity in the W NCAA as there is in the M NCAA tournament? We got ourselves a 13 seed here, the Dayton flyers got themselves a 6 seed ...and most likely had BGSU not been defeated, they'd probably would have been seeded much higher than a 13.

I guess what I'm saying is, I actually feel like the Lady Zips can actually pull of an upset.

About 4-5 upsets happen on average each year in the NCAAW tourney over the past 11 seasons.

13 seed upset: 9%

12 seed upset: 16%
11 seed upset: 30%
10 seed upset: 27%
9 seed upset: 39%

That's the percentage of upsets for each seed the past 11 seasons. Let's hope that 13 seed percentage gets into the double digits...

Here's how the MAC has done over those 11 seasons

Ball State

#12 seed in 2009. Upset #5 seed Tennessee 71-55 before losing to #4 Iowa State, 57-71 in the 2nd round.

Bowling Green

#13 seed in 2005. Lost to #4 Kansas State 60-70 in the first round.
#12 seed in 2006. Lost to #5 UCLA 61-74 in the first round
#7 seed in 2007. Beat #10 OK State(70-66) and upset #2 Vanderbilt(60-59), before losing to #3 Arizona St(49-67) in Sweet 16.
#12 seed in 2010. Lost to #5 Michigan State 62-72 in the first round
#12 seed in 2011. Lost to #5 Georgia Tech 58-69 in the first round

Central Michigan

#11 seed in 2013. Lost to #6 Oklahoma 73-78 in the first round.

Eastern Michigan

#14 seed in 2004. Lost to #3 Boston College 56-58 in the first round.
#12 seed in 2012. Lost to #5 South Carolina 48-80 in the first round.

Miami(OH)

#13 seed in 2008. Lost to #4 Louisville 67-81 in the first round.

Western Michigan

#14 seed in 2003. Lost to #3 Stanford 66-82 in the first round.

Sorry I Can't make it to Indiana. BUT, I can tell you about upsets! - I was in Maples Pavilion back in 1998 when #16 seed Harvard (the Stanford of the East) knocked off #1 seed Stanford (the Harvard of the West), the only first round victory for a 16 seed. Stanford had two all-Americans injured after their final game, including the legendary Lindsay Yamasaki. Akron has the team chemistry to beat Purdue -- they must come out with supreme confidence and get open shots -- but they have to exert as much energy defending the Boilers' post game. Purdue will go in assuming they can simply beat up on Akron in the paint. We have to use our athleticism, without getting in foul trouble, then knock down open J's. Go Zips!

Just to warn anyone not going to the game that plans on watching it on ESPN2, you may need to find someway to stream the game depending on where you live. ESPN2 has three NCAAW tourney games on at 1:30pm saturday, which means it'll be "wrap-around" coverage most likely. It would have been four, but they gave Notre Dame-Robert Morris an ESPN slot during that time.

Per Zips Line email:

Tickets for Saturday's game can be ordered through our ticket office by calling 1-888-99-AKRON (25766) through 10 a.m. today. Tickets for Saturday's game cost $18. If we win, those who purchase for Saturday will be automatically charged $14 per ticket for Monday's game, as the NCAA automatically charges us for our ticket allotment.

For those of you who purchased tickets through us and will be traveling to West Lafayette on your own, representatives from our ticket office will be in the lobby of the team hotel, the Four Points by Sheraton (1600 Cumberland Ave, 47906), Friday night and Saturday morning. UA ticket reps will also staff our team will call window at Mackey Arena starting at 10 a.m. on Saturday. Please bring photo identification to claim your tickets.

We look forward to seeing many of you in West Lafayette this weekend as our Women make history! If you can't make the trip, remember that
Johnny J’s in the Valley is hosting a Zips Watch Party.

There's still room on the bus to West Lafayette Saturday if you're still looking to find a way to go. Bus is $32 and the ticket at the game will be $18. Bus will leave 5:30am. You can pay at the bus. Just call the ticket office today or tomorrow to see if there's still room or not. Last time I heard, there were still a good amount of seats left.

Purdue will be without one of their best players saturday. Didn't realize this injury until I heard it today. Senior KK Houser tore her ACL on February 24th. Hate to see this, especially to a redshirt senior. Was hoping to get Purdue at full strength. Playing at their place will still be tough, and they still have some good players. Just a better chance of an upset I guess.

Here is Purdue's stats:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/pur/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/stats/season_stats.pdf

Purdue will be without one of their best players saturday.

Was hoping to get Purdue at full strength.

Huh?

I never wish for a team to have an injury to a key player.

But, I also don't wish for a team to be at full strength when we are about to face a very daunting task of pulling off an NCAA upset, especially when the opponent has the added advantage of playing on their own home floor.

The NATION of women's college basketball will remember that Akron beat Purdue. Few will remember that a Purdue player was out. We've had a key player missing for nearly the entire season.

Senior point guard Kacie Cassell triggers the Akron Zips women's basketball team

The 5-3 Cassell led the nation in assists as a junior with 259. And she led the MAC in assists this season, now at 202 and counting for a team that averages a whopping 82.8 points a game.

-38a0c20838ecb6e2.jpg

Great shot of her. :) Got to be the most publicly underappreciated member of the team. I wish I would have kept it but I read an article the other day that mentioned Luburgh and Tecca making the all tournament team but never mentioned Cassell making it (nor her 18 points against CMU in the semifinal). I think the most telling thing about Cassell was this quote in the story "Cassell's assist numbers (677) for her career helped four Akron seniors post 1,000 points in their careers. But Cassell's been there before, as a 1,000-point scorer in high school." Adjusted her own game for the good of the team and helped Tecca, Luburgh, King and Young all reach 1,000 points. Wow.