Other CIT Results

Thought we should have a separate thread to keep up with other teams advancing in the CIT to see who the Zips might face beyond round 1. I'll update results here in the first post as games are played:

Holy Cross beat Brown 68-65

EMU beat Norfolk State 59-54

Wright State beat East Carolina 73-59

East Tennessee beat Chattanooga 79-66

VMI beat Canisius 111-100

Sam Houston beat Alabama State 71-49

Columbia beat Valparaiso 58-56

San Diego beat Portland State 87-65

EDIT: Rather than duplicating efforts, CIT results and upcoming matchups can easily be followed through this link to the CIT website. We can discuss the results and upcoming games in this thread.

Valpo is a pretty hot basketball school, and they only drew 1,663. Sam Houston State drew only 474, Canisius 937, East Carolina 2,171, and East Tennessee State topped the list with 3,045. I'm not sure what the magic formula is for getting fans interested in the lesser tournaments. The spread from EMU's 373 to ETSU's 3,045 is pretty steep.

The only thing we know about CIT matchups is that they say they try to keep teams in the same geographical region to keep travel costs down. So they'd probably try to match the Zips against a team within easy driving distance. I suspect they also consider who's already played against each other, so Wright State would probably be more likely for the Zips than OU or Cleveland State.

The only thing we know about CIT matchups is that they say they try to keep teams in the same geographical region to keep travel costs down. So they'd probably try to match the Zips against a team within easy driving distance. I suspect they also consider who's already played against each other, so Wright State would probably be more likely for the Zips than OU or Cleveland State.

Another question to consider would be: Does either Akron or Wright State (or even whoever wins the CSU/OU game) want to pay to host a game? Because Wright State was on the road tonight.

I have always thought the CiT teams should work amongst themselves to schedule return games in future years. Akron plays at IPFW in this event so why not have the powers that be at the two universities get together and schedule an OOC for a future season in Akron? i realize they might not have the marquee value we'd really hope to get on the home schedule but it certainly beats playing the likes of NC A&T or Howard, plus scheduling a road game in Akron wouldn't hurt IPFW's road schedule either. A lot of CiT participant matchups could benefit from something like this in my opinion. its kind of like the way ESPN did the BracketBusters but with the schools putting it together themselves.

I have always thought the CiT teams should work amongst themselves to schedule return games in future years. Akron plays at IPFW in this event so why not have the powers that be at the two universities get together and schedule an OOC for a future season in Akron? i realize they might not have the marquee value we'd really hope to get on the home schedule but it certainly beats playing the likes of NC A&T or Howard, plus scheduling a road game in Akron wouldn't hurt IPFW's road schedule either. A lot of CiT participant matchups could benefit from something like this in my opinion. its kind of like the way ESPN did the BracketBusters but with the schools putting it together themselves.

That actually sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea. But, since it make sense, conventional wisdoms tells us to do the opposite.

Here's my quick mini-analysis of the IPFW-VMI game. Since it wasn't televised, this is based on watching the game develop on the box score and play-by-play:

As against the Zips, IPFW first tried to establish the inside game. All their early shots were layups or short jumpers, and they hit 8 of their first 10. Unlike the Zips, however, VMI was knocking down 3s, hitting 4 of their first 5. So IPFW was behind even after hitting 8 of their first 10 2-pointers. The Dons took their first 3-point shot at 12:17 of the first half. They made only 1-8 treys in the first half, which left them trailing at halftime, 51-42.

The same pattern continued in the second half with IPFW continuing to hit their 2s and miss their 3s (4-21 for the game) while VMI was hitting both 2s and 3s. It was a typical IPFW game in the sense that they like to get into high-scoring shooting matches with minimal D. The one thing I can't tell from not having seen the game is what kind of defense VMI played. So I can't say whether the Dons' poor 3-point shooting was a result of VMI playing better D than the Zips or if the Dons' 3-point shooters were just missing open looks.