Roger Winters, or is it Roger Owens?

Yeah, this stuff is funnelled through Ellen Alexander to Roger Brown...but Ellen's "contacts" are former Zips coaches. Or, maybe a relative that's still close to the team? When are they going to give it up?

Roger writes:

Those who say University of Akron star quarterback Charlie Frye goofed by sticking around for his senior season - and not turning pro - offer this as further proof: New Zips head coach J.D. Brookhart is making dramatic changes in Akron's offense, which could affect Frye's numbers this fall.

Now THERE is some condemning "proof."

"....changes in Akron's offense that COULD affect Frye's numbers." There you have it...these changes COULD affect his numbers!!!

If they do affect his numbers...and we win...I'm sure Charlie won't give a rat's ass. The word is out that MAC QB's can play. The word is out on #5. If he hits his receiver's in the belly this year he's gonna have nice numbers. Charlie is a 3-4th rounder today. If the Zips have a great season, regardless of his personal numbers, his status will only improve.

I assume that JD's "dramatic" changes might have something to do with protecting #5, so he doesn't endure the beating he took in 2003? That's a positive for #5. Maybe not putting him in the shotgun every frigging down? That's a positive for #5. Maybe a different backfield set because he lost #42...the best blocking/protection RB we had last season? That's a positive for #5. Maybe generating a more balanced attack, so the opponents simply can't tee off on #5? That's a positive for #5.

There are no changes JD could implement that would hurt #5's draft status. JD isn't stupid...he knows #5 is the Zips' meal-ticket in 2004. He'll be utilized to his fullest potential.

Roger Brown is a sock puppet for Ellen Alexander, and some former Zips player/coach. The only thing that will shut him up is to win in 2004. F Roger Brown in the skull. :rolltide:

Say Frye does turn out big numbers during the first year of JD's new offense. Doesn't that raise his stock even more to the NFL? If he doesn't, well, he may go down in the draft. I think that the numbers he has put up so far can't be ignored though.

If JD can lead the Zips to a MAC Championship, all of these reporters will be saying "Look, we told you that they should have gotten rid of Owens earlier."

I'm sure Frye will give it his all. I can't wait to see what happens! Hopefully the media will help out UA with some press. I wouldn't be suprised if that didn't happen though.

Guest Mr. Moto

I agree with the assertion that Frye's numbers will be down this season. They should be. With Cherry, Sparks, Irvin, Brake and Hendry gone from the offense of a year ago the offensive output would be down a great deal. When your best two receivers are converted defensive backs and quarterbacks you are in for a world of hurt. One guy canot make a team win and to put a 7-8 win bounty on Frye's head is just not realistic or fair. If there is no running game then the opponents can just gang up against the pass which they kow is coming. With unproven wideouts on the wings big numbers are not going to be present, especially not early in the season.

Perhaps if the former coaching staff had recruited better they would still have jobs at the division one level and Akron would be poised to have a good season in 2004. Having no players from City schools and none from Cleveland for the past 4 years probably hurt a bit since other schools around the MAC and from the Big 10 and Big East came in and outworked the Akron staff for kids within 10 miles of the campus. That's piss poor effort from a bunch of coaches who were lucky to have D-1 positions. Once they were finally held accountable they could not get jobs at another D-1 school in the country.

Only ONE of the former coaching staff has employment at the Division One level, and that is Dick Flynn at EMU.

2004 is a tougher schedule than 2003 by a long shot (No 1-AA gimmes and some real cross over games) and with the players returning there is no reason to expect anything better than 5 wins. Buffalo, Ball State, Can't State and Ohio are the only sure wins to me. MTSU and NIU are going to be tough games and one of those is one the road. Both UCF and Miami are maybes with a better chance for a win against the Redskins because it is late and anything happens late in the MAC when nothing is on the line. Akron will not beat Penn State, Virginia, or Marshall. 5-6 would be a solid record and a winning 6-5 season or better should get Charlie Frye the MAC POTY and Brookhart COTY.

From what the boys were saying after the spring game they all wish this staff had been around for the 2003 season. Some were upset after the firing last fall but the ones who remain on the team love the new coaches. They feel like the new staff knows more football and are better coaches all-around. If the Akron Administration would have had the balls in 2002 the 2003 team would have been coached by a knowledgeable staff and would have been prepared for late game situations against UConn and Can't State. 9-3 instead of 7-5 gets a lot more respect.

Guest Guest_racer

how his numbers could change is if the defense can give him the ball more times.

your always playing from behind ,or see the defense give up 17 point in four minuets.it does not matter what offense you run. would be nice not have to score on every just about every possesion to win. im so sick of everyone saying if we could run ,or protect him the o would be better.how about not having to acore 45 points a game to win. that would make his numbers better in the win column. as far winning games this year. we won seven games with almost no defense. if we had a defense we win at wisconsin, uconn ,and Can't.our schedule may be harder but there is no reason this team cant have a winning record.

Guest DVD1
I agree with the assertion that Frye's numbers will be down this season. They should be. With Cherry, Sparks, Irvin, Brake and Hendry gone from the offense of a year ago the offensive output would be down a great deal. When your best two receivers are converted defensive backs and quarterbacks you are in for a world of hurt. One guy canot make a team win and to put a 7-8 win bounty on Frye's head is just not realistic or fair. If there is no running game then the opponents can just gang up against the pass which they kow is coming. With unproven wideouts on the wings big numbers are not going to be present, especially not early in the season.

Perhaps if the former coaching staff had recruited better they would still have jobs at the division one level and Akron would be poised to have a good season in 2004. Having no players from City schools and none from Cleveland for the past 4 years probably hurt a bit since other schools around the MAC and from the Big 10 and Big East came in and outworked the Akron staff for kids within 10 miles of the campus. That's piss poor effort from a bunch of coaches who were lucky to have D-1 positions. Once they were finally held accountable they could not get jobs at another D-1 school in the country.

Only ONE of the former coaching staff has employment at the Division One level, and that is Dick Flynn at EMU.

2004 is a tougher schedule than 2003 by a long shot (No 1-AA gimmes and some real cross over games) and with the players returning there is no reason to expect anything better than 5 wins. Buffalo, Ball State, Can't State and Ohio are the only sure wins to me. MTSU and NIU are going to be tough games and one of those is one the road. Both UCF and Miami are maybes with a better chance for a win against the Redskins because it is late and anything happens late in the MAC when nothing is on the line. Akron will not beat Penn State, Virginia, or Marshall. 5-6 would be a solid record and a winning 6-5 season or better should get Charlie Frye the MAC POTY and Brookhart COTY.

From what the boys were saying after the spring game they all wish this staff had been around for the 2003 season. Some were upset after the firing last fall but the ones who remain on the team love the new coaches. They feel like the new staff knows more football and are better coaches all-around. If the Akron Administration would have had the balls in 2002 the 2003 team would have been coached by a knowledgeable staff and would have been prepared for late game situations against UConn and Can't State. 9-3 instead of 7-5 gets a lot more respect.

What's NOT a "POSITIVE FOR #5" is how you want him out of the shotgun every play. Kiss his numbers/possible MAC passing record goodbye. He needs about 3500 yards, maybe even 3600 to surpass Leftwich...getting out of the gun won't help his case any - nor will moving your backup QB and best DB to WR - LOL. :nono:

Recruiting-wise I don't see how you can be disappointed. Piss poor effort? Try piss poor facilities, dubbed the worst by any recruit/magazine/newspaper/MAC fan thats been on campus- period. Now the facilities are improving which is a plus for the Zips, but remember you still have a crumbling stadium built in 1940 that is 15 minutes away from campus and leaks into the visiting lockerroom - probably the home lockerroom too.

The student support at home games is almost zilch and heaven forbid you get a rainy game because only 7,000 will show.

You shouldn't be hating on the former coaching staff - the program is in a hell of a lot better shape than when Faust had it, and you're coming off a 7-5 winning season looking to improve upon it. You also shouldn't be hating this staff because a LOT of great talent has come through this program, including your beloved "mealticket" #5. I call that a HELL of a recruiting job getting him here over the likes of Toledo, BGSU, or Iowa State. It's a marvel as a MAC fan to listen to Zip fans bash thier coaching staff when they've made leaps and bounds and have become competitive instead of bottom-feeders. In fact it gets old - find a new excuse. :cry::zzz:

Me personally, I don't want to play for a University who bashes the coaching staff and only gets on avg. 14,000 (and I'm being very generous) a game. :ninja:

I can only hope your new coaching staff does better because if they don't win AT LEAST 9-10 games their season/lives will become complete failures and if they win only 8 games they're automatically on thin ice with the AD who is a "godsend". Afterall, isn't that the Akron attitude?

:laugh_up:

Hey you're exactly right in saying the new coaching staff being able to pull out games - after all your new QB coach is from where? Duke? Yeah that's right they pulled out a lot of games didn't they. They contended for the ACC every year, I forgot about that. Who cares if they were winless in 20-something straight games? He knows all about winning football games. :rofl::rofl::rolleyes: Nobody will get MAC POTY with a 6-5 record.

I agree with the assertion that Frye's numbers will be down this season.  They should be.  With Cherry, Sparks, Irvin, Brake and Hendry gone from the offense of a year ago the offensive output would be down a great deal.  When your best two receivers are converted defensive backs and quarterbacks you are in for a world of hurt.  One guy canot make a team win and to put a 7-8 win bounty on Frye's head is just not realistic or fair.  If there is no running game then the opponents can just gang up against the pass which they kow is coming.  With unproven wideouts on the wings big numbers are not going to be present, especially not early in the season.

Perhaps if the former coaching staff had recruited better they would still have jobs at the division one level and Akron would be poised to have a good season in 2004.  Having no players from City schools and none from Cleveland for the past 4 years probably hurt a bit since other schools around the MAC and from the Big 10 and Big East came in and outworked the Akron staff for kids within 10 miles of the campus.  That's piss poor effort from a bunch of coaches who were lucky to have D-1 positions.  Once they were finally held accountable they could not get jobs at another D-1 school in the country.

2004 is a tougher schedule than 2003 by a long shot (No 1-AA gimmes and some real cross over games) and with the players returning there is no reason to expect anything better than 5 wins.  Buffalo, Ball State, Can't State and Ohio are the only sure wins to me.  MTSU and NIU are going to be tough games and one of those is one the road.  Both UCF and Miami are maybes with a better chance for a win against the Redskins because it is late and anything happens late in the MAC when nothing is on the line.  Akron will not beat Penn State, Virginia, or Marshall. 5-6 would be a solid record and a winning 6-5 season or better should get Charlie Frye the MAC POTY and Brookhart COTY.

From what the boys were saying after the spring game they all wish this staff had been around for the 2003 season.  Some were upset after the firing last fall but the ones who remain on the team love the new coaches.  They feel like the new staff knows more football and are better coaches all-around.  If the Akron Administration would have had the balls in 2002 the 2003 team would have been coached by a knowledgeable staff and would have been prepared for late game situations against UConn and Can't State.  9-3 instead of 7-5 gets a lot more respect.

What's NOT a "POSITIVE FOR #5" is how you want him out of the shotgun every play. Kiss his numbers/possible MAC passing record goodbye. He needs about 3500 yards, maybe even 3600 to surpass Leftwich...getting out of the gun won't help his case any - nor will moving your backup QB and best DB to WR - LOL. :nono:

Recruiting-wise I don't see how you can be disappointed. Piss poor effort? Try piss poor facilities, dubbed the worst by any recruit/magazine/newspaper/MAC fan thats been on campus- period. Now the facilities are improving which is a plus for the Zips, but remember you still have a crumbling stadium built in 1940 that is 15 minutes away from campus and leaks into the visiting lockerroom - probably the home lockerroom too.

The student support at home games is almost zilch and heaven forbid you get a rainy game because only 7,000 will show.

You shouldn't be hating on the former coaching staff - the program is in a hell of a lot better shape than when Faust had it, and you're coming off a 7-5 winning season looking to improve upon it. You also shouldn't be hating this staff because a LOT of great talent has come through this program, including your beloved "mealticket" #5. I call that a HELL of a recruiting job getting him here over the likes of Toledo, BGSU, or Iowa State. It's a marvel as a MAC fan to listen to Zip fans bash thier coaching staff when they've made leaps and bounds and have become competitive instead of bottom-feeders. In fact it gets old - find a new excuse. :cry::zzz:

Me personally, I don't want to play for a University who bashes the coaching staff and only gets on avg. 14,000 (and I'm being very generous) a game. :ninja:

I can only hope your new coaching staff does better because if they don't win AT LEAST 9-10 games their season/lives will become complete failures and if they win only 8 games they're automatically on thin ice with the AD who is a "godsend". Afterall, isn't that the Akron attitude?

:laugh_up:

Hey you're exactly right in saying the new coaching staff being able to pull out games - after all your new QB coach is from where? Duke? Yeah that's right they pulled out a lot of games didn't they. They contended for the ACC every year, I forgot about that. Who cares if they were winless in 20-something straight games? He knows all about winning football games. :rofl::rofl::rolleyes: Nobody will get MAC POTY with a 6-5 record.

...And speaking of Roger Brown. :iws:

Me personally, I don't want to play for a University who bashes the coaching staff and only gets on avg. 14,000 (and I'm being very generous) a game.

...And speaking of Roger Brown. :iws:

The University's Football Program will surely suffer from your decision not to attend!! :lol:

Good to see Ashland Obsessed still has internet access!! :rofl:

Guest DVD1
Good to see Ashland Obsessed still has internet access!! :rofl:

I don't see how that's funny? :unsure:

Ashland?...considering I'm a BGSU fan...oookaaaaay....ah ha...ah ha...is that better? :thumb:

Guest Heisman

"Ashland Obsessed or BGSU Fan"-

Thanks for leaving the cupboard bare. I guess the only players we could recruit to Akron since Charlie graduated in 2000 was the son of the head coach.

The coaches must not of taken their Giant Eagle cards with them on the recruiting trail or maybe they could not bring propsective football players to campus to see what new facilities were going up since 2000.

That's not AO. That's a former coach - or possibly the son of a former coach.

Go away. Unless, of course, you promise to come back to this board in two years and eat your proverbial crow, which I'm sure you WON'T do. So I'll just say see ya and have fun down at Division II.

Guest Guest_racer

as far as the old coaching staff and #5. i think lo did a great job recruting offense players. we always had a decent ol, qb's ,and wr. his big downfall was the inabilty to recruit ,or find coaches for the defense.the d never improved year after year. i do agree that the program was in alot better shape than when faust was here.the other side of it was faust did have a few years with a decent defense which owens was never able to do.

Guest DVD1

Point out to me in my post where I lied - I didn't.

Point out to me in my post where I'm wrong - I'm not.

I'll give you a hint as to who I am and I'm not a former coach/coaches son/wife/brother/relative

You also shouldn't be hating this staff because a LOT of great talent has come through this program, including your beloved "mealticket" #5. I call that a HELL of a recruiting job getting him here over the likes of Toledo, BGSU, or Iowa State.

Your points are all stupid...just the kind of stuff you expect from a non-Zips fan who rarely attends games and sucks most of their information from the tetes of Roger Brown, Ellen Alexander and Tammy Pluto.

Your use of #5 as the poster child for Owens' great recruiting is laughable. Hey...Faust recruited Victor Green and Jason Taylor...so he was a great recruiter, right? :lol:

Back to Frye....let's look at some of the other members of Charlie's Class of 2000.

Kris Williams - JUCO. Minor contributor

Eric Culberson: JUCO. Kicked off team before completing elegibility

Marcus Whattley: Never played a down.

Jermaine Warren: Never played a down.

Rick VonBergen: Transferred to YSU (1-AA)

Maurice Taylor: Transferred to Northern Arizona (1-AA)

Doug Sutton: Appears to be elegible for his senior year after missing a year for bad grades.

Jesse Scott: Never played a down

Keenan Johnson: Never played a down

Matt Carter: Quit.

Duane Griffin: Played one year and flunked-out

Aaron Feller: Dropped out

If someone complains about Owens' recruiting...how can you argue? The only way to argue is to be ignorant of the facts. Then you can argue till the cows come home.

I've wasted enough of my time with you, DVD1. Thanks for stopping by. You added alot to the board. :wave:

Guest DVD1

I'm not here to get in a big fight with you Zip fans but,

You act like your team is the only University in the nation. You don't think other schools have transfers/dropouts/flunkies? You're crazy and I laugh at the statement. Unless you're a Miami (Fla.) or Ohio State, who can get anybody they choose, you're gonna have guys under the radar who don't make it because of grades or attitude problems- and thats just because MAC schools can't be as picky. And believe it or not, there are still lots in the "bigger conferences" that have just as much problems if not more. (yet another fact for you)

There are guys in both basketball and football who get recruited and fans are pumped and can't wait for them to play - then come their time they're not on the roster - why? Well, I can tell you for sure numerous 3rd stringers in BCS conferences transfer to MAC schools and 1-AA universities or just quit because they don't get to play. It's common. Same goes for MAC schools, look at Willie Spencer from Massillon. Went to play at Akron, got beat out by Butchie Washington, played some WR...then transferred to I think Tiffin University.

Cap'n you assumed too much and misread what I posted. I didn't call Owens a great recruiter - Now you're putting words in my mouth and laughing at yourself, which is never good. I said he must have been able to put SOME effort into getting players. Think about all of the talent that has come through since Owens - arguably more than Faust.

You think my points are stupid but they are all true so why argue and waste more of your "precious" time. You must have a lot because you're a moderator of these boards. You're welcome for stopping by. :wave: