Is Shaka on the move?

ZZZips

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know how well his havoc defense will translate to the NBA game when an increasing number of teams have 4+ ball handlers on the court at any given time. I certainly can't see him succeeding in Houston where the star player won't buy into his defense 1st mentality.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't know how well his havoc defense will translate to the NBA game when an increasing number of teams have 4+ ball handlers on the court at any given time. I certainly can't see him succeeding in Houston where the star player won't buy into his defense 1st mentality.

+1.  I don't see NBA players being willing to expend the energy on the defensive end of the floor which the full-court-press-all-game-long Havoc requires.

Edited by Blue & Gold

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

A good article talking about the reason Shaka is failing at Texas is because he's gotten away from what he had success doing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/shaka-smart-lost-his-way-by-abandoning-what-made-him-successful-094336729.html

From the article...

"It appears Smart believes the marquee recruits he chases at Texas prefer a traditional, NBA-conducive system to the all-out, helter-skelter style that propelled VCU to national relevance. Perhaps Smart also questions whether he can implement HAVOC as successfully with freshmen and sophomores as he did with the junior- and senior-laden teams he coached at VCU."

I brought this point up regarding Groce's tenure at Illinois vs. O-Who. It's a different recruit at the next level, and they may not buy into the fundamentally-sound, high-effort system due to their AAU brainwashing. 

22 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

From the article...

"It appears Smart believes the marquee recruits he chases at Texas prefer a traditional, NBA-conducive system to the all-out, helter-skelter style that propelled VCU to national relevance. Perhaps Smart also questions whether he can implement HAVOC as successfully with freshmen and sophomores as he did with the junior- and senior-laden teams he coached at VCU."

I brought this point up regarding Groce's tenure at Illinois vs. O-Who. It's a different recruit at the next level, and they may not buy into the fundamentally-sound, high-effort system due to their AAU brainwashing. 

The key difference is those Ohio rosters that Groce was coaching wouldn't have come close to sniffing the tournament had they been in the Big 10. Groce's best Ohio team went 11-5 in the MAC. That translates to what a 5-11 Big 10 team? They would have had to of won the Big 10 tournament to get in, which wouldn't have happened. Shaka produced a final 4 team and 3 additional top 30 kenpom teams. Those VCU squads would have been able to compete in the Big 12 with the caliber of players he was getting there. 

Edited by kreed5120

One of Shaka's problems is that once he started getting the top recruits he started catering his game plan to the kids he had, assuming they would be better in a pro style game.  As a result, he abandoned HAVOC, the formula that got him there.  He did this after telling the world HAVOC would work on the P5 level.  He was stuck with who he had when he got there, and they were not the personnel for that up tempo madness, but his recruits after that weren't the scrappy kids who would buy in like his kids at VCU.