Another Possible 2014 Recruit - Noah Robotham

Great time to be in Vegas, the pools just opened back up.

I was wondering if he is that good, or if the convo went something like this.

KD - Hey guys, going to check out a recruit next week.

Staff - Cool where at?

KD - Uhhh, Vegas..

Staff - You said he's really good right? We should all go and help, right??

This kid is a legit PG.

http://sanjosestate.247sports.com/Article/Can-the-San-Jose-State-Spartans-Land-Noah-Robotham-185903

The Composite 3-star recruit averaged 16 points, 7.1 assists, 3.2 rebounds and, 3.1 steals per game and averaged close to 80% at the free-throw line. He led the Gaels in scoring, assists, and steals and helped lead Bishop Gorman to the Division 1 state title this past season.

I was wondering if he is that good, or if the convo went something like this.

KD - Hey guys, going to check out a recruit next week.

Staff - Cool where at?

KD - Uhhh, Vegas..

Staff - You said he's really good right? We should all go and help, right??

There was a former Akron football coach that used to do this according to some.

His twitter feed is showing photos indicating that he's been on campus recently.

Would be a nice get for the Zips. I would still prefer a JUCO or transfer PG who has immediate eligibility just because I'm a little leary of going with a true frosh PG, but it can't get a whole lot worse than our situation from last year.

I thought I read somewhere that he was a BC commit but after they fired their coach last week he is open to other offers now. Can't find that anymore though.

Edit:

He had an offer from BC. Story Here

Robotham has scholarship offers from San Jose State and Akron, and heavy interest from schools such as Oregon State. He previously had a Boston College offer and was supposed to be on a recruiting trip this weekend, but Steve Donahue was fired this week as the Eagles' coach.

GJGood, if you want to see what D-I transfers are available, the best single source I've found is this section of VerbalCommits.com. You can look down the list and see all the PGs, and then look to see if they have a Yes in the Immediately Available column. Those are mostly juniors who've already graduated academically and are free to transfer and play at another D-I school without having to sit out for a season. Most are 2-star players (average) from schools with basketball programs lower on the totem pole than UA.

I see only 2 PGs on the list who are ranked above 2 stars who are eligible to play immediately at another D-I school -- 3.3-star Matt Carlino from Brigham Young and 3.0-star K.C. Ross-Miller from New Mexico State. These 2 PGs would be in heavy demand by top programs in desperate need of immediate PG help next season, and the Zips would have a tough time competing for their services.

There may also be similar comprehensive lists of available juco players or HS players out there somewhere, but I haven't found them. We have to understand that all the best PGs in every category have mostly already committed to top D-I programs. There are only a few good PGs available in all the categories combined who might be expected to step in and contribute to the Zips from day one. If you look through the list of top HS seniors on VerbalCommits.com you'll see that there isn't a single uncommitted PG among the top 156 HS players listed.

GJGood, if you want to see what D-I transfers are available, the best single source I've found is this section of VerbalCommits.com. You can look down the list and see all the PGs, and then look to see if they have a Yes in the Immediately Available column. Those are mostly juniors who've already graduated academically and are free to transfer and play at another D-I school without having to sit out for a season. Most are 2-star players (average) from schools with basketball programs lower on the totem pole than UA.

I see only 2 PGs on the list who are ranked above 2 stars who are eligible to play immediately at another D-I school -- 3.3-star Matt Carlino from Brigham Young and 3.0-star K.C. Ross-Miller from New Mexico State. These 2 PGs would be in heavy demand by top programs in desperate need of immediate PG help next season, and the Zips would have a tough time competing for their services.

There may also be similar comprehensive lists of available juco players or HS players out there somewhere, but I haven't found them. We have to understand that all the best PGs in every category have mostly already committed to top D-I programs. There are only a few good PGs available in all the categories combined who might be expected to step in and contribute to the Zips from day one. If you look through the list of top HS seniors on VerbalCommits.com you'll see that there isn't a single uncommitted PG among the top 156 HS players listed.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/454712632134885376

"Robert Morris, Akron, and Ohio have all reached out to Evansville freshman transfer guard Tyler Ptacek"

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10702122/tracking-every-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball

Here is the list of every known player that is transferring out of a D-I program. Any that are noted as "Will graduate" are immediately eligible to play.

Looking over that list, there simply are not many guards transferring in general, and even fewer that can play immediately. And most of those are combo guards.

Hands down, the best option out there is BYU's Matt Carlino. Almost every team in the country would kill to land this guy.

Outside of Carlino, there's KC Ross-MIller from NMSU, Terence Smith from Tennessee-Martin, and a big gamble with Quinton Chievous from Tennessee. Nobody else stands out.