Another Possible 2014 Recruit - Noah Robotham

Definitely a scholarship traffic jam with one graduating and three incoming freshmen. We'll have to see how that works out. I really like Noah from watching the videos. Most player videos feature scoring, and Noah can do that. But a large percentage of Noah's videos are devoted to long, pinpoint passes, where he really excels. He's a true PG in every sense of the word. I'm not sure how the Gatorade HS POY in the state of Nevada doesn't get more interest from the bigger schools. But I'm really glad that he chose UA.

I like that Noah played for a high-level HS team that played against national HS competition in out-of-state tournaments and won three straight state championships. He looks as if he may be able to step in and contribute at the D-I college level as a true freshman. I also like a lot of what I've seen of Antino Jackson, but think he may be more likely to benefit from a redshirt. However it works out, the Zips definitely have more options at PG now.

I really like Noah from watching the videos. Most player videos feature scoring, and Noah can do that. But a large percentage of Noah's videos are devoted to long, pinpoint passes, where he really excels. He's a true PG in every sense of the word.

So stoked about the Noah commitment right now. By all accounts he's a great kid and a hard worker. He should fit right in with the Zips mentality.

Just to piggy-back on Dave's sentiments, I've watched some of Noah's videos. He isn't just a long, pinpoint passer. He really excels at dishing to his bigs on the interior off of dribble penetration. Those are really tough passes to make. In traffic, without a lot of space and trying to get it to your guy in a position where he can go up and score. Noah makes those plays regularly. Tree is going to LOVE this kid.

Not only does his passing ability stand out, he has the ability to score. He has a well developed mid-range jumper that he's capable of extending out to the 3 point line. He also shows some ability to finish himself around the rim.

I know he is just going to be a freshman next year, and it is usually pretty tough for freshman PGs to step in on day one and make an impact, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but this is one of those signings that really gets me excited.

As a true freshman, Alex played in all 36 games, averaging 19.7 minutes per game. He began as a backup to Steve McNees and worked his way into the starting PG for 15 games. I think we'd all agree that the Zips currently do not have a PG of McNees' caliber to bump out of the starting role.

Dru Joyce played in all 28 games as a true freshman, averaging 23.8 minutes per game. He began as a backup to Johnny Hollingsworth and took over as starting PG for 10 games. I don't recall much about Hollingsworth.

Interesting read on how UA recruited Noah:

Noah Robotham endured several ups and downs as he was being recruited and admitted the process was “overwhelming.”

Through it all, one school never backed off the senior point guard for Bishop Gorman’s boys basketball team.

“Akron made me a priority from day one,” Robotham said. “They were always there and never pressured me. You have to go where it’s the right fit and go where you’re wanted." ...

I don't expect Noah to start from day 1. It just isn't KD's normal way of operating. Very few freshman have started from day 1 for KD (Zeke is the only one I can think of off the top of my head).

There are a couple of other factors that go into it. PG is easily the most important position on the court. Having the ball in your hand all game long, and having to defend the guy on the other side who has the ball in his hand all game long, make it very difficult for a freshman to come in and adjust to. Beyond that, there are the conditioning issues that freshmen are so prone to having. You just don't want to throw a freshman out there and give him 30 minutes a night from day 1 and watch him have nothing left in the tank going into the stretch run of the conference season. Could Noah be the exception to all of this? Maybe, but he is going to have to prove it.

That said. I think Noah will play from day 1. I expect him to back-up Melo at the start of the season. Probably for about 12 - 18 minutes per night at first. I would expect that you will see Noah moved into the starting lineup some time late in the OOC season to give him a few games to acclimate before the conference schedule begins.

By the end of the season I expect our starting lineup to be:

PG - Robotham

SG - Jackson

SF - Kretzer

PF - Treadwell

C - Cheatham

Yes, I do see Jackson starting eventually. Our other options at SG are McAdams and Ibitayo. I don't want to start Reggie and Jake as there is too much overlap in their games, particularly on the offensive end. I would rather start Jake as he is a little tougher on the defensive end right now. That leaves Reggie coming off the bench. Deji had a few good games coming down the stretch last year, but he's got to show more consistency before I trust him in the starting lineup. From what I've seen and know of Jackson I can easily see him moving into the starting lineup based on his work ethic and the more diverse skill set he brings to the table.

I also see Cheatham starting over Johnson and Forsythe. The problem I have with Johnson and Forsythe is that they are primarily low post scorers (and Johnson is a boat anchor in transition). The problem with that is we already have a really good post player in Treadwell. Having Johnson or Forsythe on the floor with him just clogs up the lane and makes things more difficult on Tree. Cheatham has enough size to play C at this level, and he's more adept in the pick-n-pop game with a shot out to the 3 point line. I think this will open up space on the inside for Tree to operate. That said, Kwan will have to take a big step forward with his defense if this is going to happen.

Didn't read all of your post, but if Robo is good enough to start from day 1, then he needs to. None of this tinkering crap the whole season again. Play your best players and let them grow together. Every other coach starts freshman, no reason for us not too, either.

Didn't read all of your post, but if Robo is good enough to start from day 1, then he needs to. None of this tinkering crap the whole season again. Play your best players and let them grow together. Every other coach starts freshman, no reason for us not too, either.

I am with you. KD should ixnay the inkeringtay.

I don't expect Noah to start from day 1. It just isn't KD's normal way of operating. Very few freshman have started from day 1 for KD (Zeke is the only one I can think of off the top of my head).

There are a couple of other factors that go into it. PG is easily the most important position on the court. Having the ball in your hand all game long, and having to defend the guy on the other side who has the ball in his hand all game long, make it very difficult for a freshman to come in and adjust to. Beyond that, there are the conditioning issues that freshmen are so prone to having. You just don't want to throw a freshman out there and give him 30 minutes a night from day 1 and watch him have nothing left in the tank going into the stretch run of the conference season. Could Noah be the exception to all of this? Maybe, but he is going to have to prove it.

That said. I think Noah will play from day 1. I expect him to back-up Melo at the start of the season. Probably for about 12 - 18 minutes per night at first. I would expect that you will see Noah moved into the starting lineup some time late in the OOC season to give him a few games to acclimate before the conference schedule begins.

By the end of the season I expect our starting lineup to be:

PG - Robotham

SG - Jackson

SF - Kretzer

PF - Treadwell

C - Cheatham

I also see Cheatham starting over Johnson and Forsythe. The problem I have with Johnson and Forsythe is that they are primarily low post scorers (and Johnson is a boat anchor in transition). The problem with that is we already have a really good post player in Treadwell. Having Johnson or Forsythe on the floor with him just clogs up the lane and makes things more difficult on Tree. Cheatham has enough size to play C at this level, and he's more adept in the pick-n-pop game with a shot out to the 3 point line. I think this will open up space on the inside for Tree to operate. That said, Kwan will have to take a big step forward with his defense if this is going to happen.

There is zero chance of Cheatham starting at the center position. His game is more like a 2 guard with a 6-9 body. He has no desire to play down low and bang with the big guys. My depth chart looks like this;

PG Melo/ Robothom

SG McAdams/ Jackson

SF Kretzer/ Gladden

PF Tree/ Cheatham

C Johnson/ Forsythe

6th man Ibitayo

RS Antino Jackson/ Ivey