Another Possible 2014 Recruit - Noah Robotham

If you check Nick's Twitter, a few days ago he posted the following sequence of tweets. If you look at the instagram photo in the second tweet below, it appears to be of him sitting on a hospital gurney. Adding it all up, it's possible that he was in for some kind of surgery. If true, it could help explain his spotty performance this past season:

Nick Harney ‏@NickHarney
Big day
4:23 AM - 8 May 2014
Nick Harney ‏@NickHarney
In God's hands.
http://instagram.com/p/nvG-TlkR-O/
5:36 AM - 8 May 2014

Nick Harney ‏@NickHarney

Got me a rida.....

3:35 AM - 9 May 2014

Nick Harney ‏@NickHarney

Gotta work harder then ever before.

12:11 PM - 9 May 2014

Quickzips, I have to agree with Hilltopper about Kwan. He's a 3-point shooting wing who suddenly sprouted up to 6-9 and whose body now looks more like a 4/5. But he still plays like a 2/3. On the other hand the Zips have two true centers who've played nothing but the 5 all the way back through HS, where they both excelled. Neither has been brilliant yet at the college level. But it's commonly thought that big men tend to develop later than smaller players.

The only way Kwan becomes the starting center is if both Big Dog and Pat fail to develop and Kwan has a total personality change. I think the odds of that happening are pretty small. I could see Kwan playing some 5 in specific situations where the Zips want to go small. In that case, the Zips would have an advantage in having a small lineup with a quick and mobile 6-9 guy on the floor.

My predictions:

Day One

C-Johnson/Forsythe

F-Treadwell/Harney/Cheatham

F-Kretzer/McAdams

G-Ibitayo/Gladden

G-Betancourt/Robotham

MAC Championship

C-Johnson/Forsythe

F-Treadwell/Cheatham

F-Kretzer/McAdams

G-Gladden/Ibitayo

G-Robotham/Betancourt

My guess/changes to this is:

G: Gladden/Evans

G: Robotham/Antino Jackson - these two all year.

Quickzips, I have to agree with Hilltopper about Kwan. He's a 3-point shooting wing who suddenly sprouted up to 6-9 and whose body now looks more like a 4/5. But he still plays like a 2/3. On the other hand the Zips have two true centers who've played nothing but the 5 all the way back through HS, where they both excelled. Neither has been brilliant yet at the college level. But it's commonly thought that big men tend to develop later than smaller players.

The only way Kwan becomes the starting center is if both Big Dog and Pat fail to develop and Kwan has a total personality change. I think the odds of that happening are pretty small. I could see Kwan playing some 5 in specific situations where the Zips want to go small. In that case, the Zips would have an advantage in having a small lineup with a quick and mobile 6-9 guy on the floor.

Dave is 100% correct here -- Kwan's game is the same in practice as it is during competition -- he has to become another player to fit into the 4 or 5 spot -- regardless of his body! But -- and don't downplay this -- he can be extremely valuable on the wing. His size allows him to do things from that position that defenders have a devil of a time guarding.

Elton ranks Noah #4 in his MAC MIR (most important recruits) coming into the conference this season. If you go to the link you can add your vote for Noah, who's currently leading the fan poll.

4. Noah Robotham, 6-0 guard, Akron; There is no question the Akron Zips need direction and production from the PG position. Robotham is the POY from Nevada who should be just the influence post players Demetrius Treadwell and Pat Forsythe need to flourish.

So who's gone? I'm guessing Evans will be given the opportunity to find another team...probably Div 2, unless he can graduate this summer.

Betancourt gone? Could be. If Robotham is as good as advertised, Betancourt will likely be back to an appropriate 5-8 minutes per game. Maybe he won't like being a back up? Maybe he knows that's as good as it's going to get for him, and he embraces it?

Other than the mercurial Harney potentially walking off into the sunset, I don't see any other possibilities. Ibitayo's going to play his senior season @ UA. Maybe Kretzer gives his head a year's rest and redshirts this year (wild-ass speculation only)?

Oh, and what if Abreu comes back?

Too bad the BB golf outing isn't tomorrow.

Abreu isn't coming back, Kretzer red-shirting wouldn't open up a scholarship. Can't the other two recruits "grey-shirt"? Would make the most sense to me if nobody is really looking to leave. I have a hard time thinking Evans would call it quits after one season, but we will see I guess.

What's with GT not covering this? Seems he is more concerned with Johnny Manziel lately. I thought he was the Akron beat writer...

As I've said before, some players will never be happy unless they're playing long minutes. If they look at their team's roster and see there's a good chance they might be spending most of the next season sitting at the end of the bench, they start looking for other options. If they discuss their situation with the coach, they might get an offer to help them find a better situation at another school where they're more likely to play longer minutes. Sometimes it's as simple as that.

I've actually heard of a situation in college basketball where a player is "encouraged" to find another fit for him.

What's with GT not covering this? Seems he is more concerned with Johnny Manziel lately. I thought he was the Akron beat writer...

I agree, sup GT, is there a comic book convention in town? :D

Whenever people don't really know what's going on behind the scenes, it's human nature that some assume the worst and some assume the best. As far as I know Zips players who transfer generally maintain good relationships with Coach Dambrot, which suggests good mutual understanding on whatever happened. It probably won't be too long before we learn the solution to this scholarship traffic jam.