Toledo vs. Ohio State in Cleveland

Just saw on MidAmConf.com that Toledo is hosting Ohio State in Cleveland Browns stadium in 2009. Isn't BGSU there in 2008? What gives?!?! I believe maintaining the psychological distinction between Akron and Cleveland is most vital to the identity of Akron athletics, but for BGSU and Toledo to host Big 10 schools in our "backyard" like that really seems like a slap in the face!

I would rather get Indiana, Syracuse, and Kentucky in Akron rather than have a "home" game in Cleveland.
So would I, but playing OSU will be great in a "neutral" field. Granted, this is about the money, which Toledo will rake in more becuase of their status as the home team. We're talking millions here in ticket sales and other sources of revenue.

I dunno how ticket revenue gets divided up, but it seems to me that Toledo or any other team would be better of taking the visitors share of 100, 000 people rather than the home teams share of 70, 000. Could be that I am wrong. Someone tell me how it works.

Something to think about...this is a good move by OSU to quench it's fans thurst in Cleveland with an "Away" game. The people in Cleveland will eat this up. I wouldn't be suprised if OSU started playing this card more often. Pulling this off once a year (or every other year if they switch between Cleveland and Cincinnati), will only hurt the MAC schools in that the fans who typically attend one college football game a year won't need to drive the short distance to a MAC School (Can't, Akron, Miami). I admit I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but I don't think this is a move to squash the MAC, it is for money, exposure. OSU would make a nice chunk of extra money, along with some people in Cleveland, through merchandise sales and Akron gets one of the big boys invading it's turf. BG and Toledo were chosen because the typical Ohio College Football "Fan" sees them as the "Good" MAC Teams (Toledo still fits the mold). I say, look for something similar in Cinci with Miami and if Akron has a successful year again, they'll be on the list next. Bottom line for Akron, if we are going to make inroads to the Cleveland Market, we've got to continue our winning ways. A win in Cow-lumbus next year would go a LONG way....a new stadium would too!Go Zips!

CBS seats 73K. OSU is being given an allotment of 15K. Toledo is being given an allotment of 58K. If tickets sell for just $50 (which is low for an OSU game), we are talking about 2.9 million in ticket revenue for Toledo. UT does have to pay for the rent of CBS, but that isn't a lot of money, and there is no guarantee to Ohio State.Toledo does receive a guarantee though for the return trip to Columbus the following season.

CBS seats 73K. OSU is being given an allotment of 15K. Toledo is being given an allotment of 58K. If tickets sell for just $50 (which is low for an OSU game), we are talking about 2.9 million in ticket revenue for Toledo. UT does have to pay for the rent of CBS, but that isn't a lot of money, and there is no guarantee to Ohio State.Toledo does receive a guarantee though for the return trip to Columbus the following season.
Since this is a home game for Toledo, and it will probably sell out, then I am guessing this will also count as a very big boost towards their average yearly attendence. That means that the Suckeye fans will make the Rockets home attendance look much better in 2009 than what it normally is.

CBS seats 73K. OSU is being given an allotment of 15K. Toledo is being given an allotment of 58K. If tickets sell for just $50 (which is low for an OSU game), we are talking about 2.9 million in ticket revenue for Toledo. UT does have to pay for the rent of CBS, but that isn't a lot of money, and there is no guarantee to Ohio State.
If Toledo clears an avg of $5/ticket after all expenses (busing, rent, security, etc), they would make around $290K for their 58K tickets, probably better than they would clear for a normal game at home.
Since this is a home game for Toledo, and it will probably sell out, then I am guessing this will also count as a very big boost towards their average yearly attendence. That means that the Suckeye fans will make the Rockets home attendance look much better in 2009 than what it normally is.
I'm sure the NCAA doesn't really care how they make their D1 season avg to stay D1 (other than frowning on give-aways and ghost fans).

Just saw on MidAmConf.com that Toledo is hosting Ohio State in Cleveland Browns stadium in 2009. Isn't BGSU there in 2008? What gives?!?! I believe maintaining the psychological distinction between Akron and Cleveland is most vital to the identity of Akron athletics, but for BGSU and Toledo to host Big 10 schools in our "backyard" like that really seems like a slap in the face!
BGSU hosts Wisconsin there on September 2nd THIS year.I'm in the camp that says this is an OSU home game, no matter the structure of the payouts. There's just too many suckeye sheep in these parts for the UT fans to make a dent in the crowd.I'll probably do my part and don fear the roo gear and go root against the suckeyes for that game. I don't care whose game it is .. just hope the Rockets hand the Sucks their second MAC loss in 2 seasons when that game comes around.

CBS seats 73K. OSU is being given an allotment of 15K. Toledo is being given an allotment of 58K. If tickets sell for just $50 (which is low for an OSU game), we are talking about 2.9 million in ticket revenue for Toledo. UT does have to pay for the rent of CBS, but that isn't a lot of money, and there is no guarantee to Ohio State.
If Toledo clears an avg of $5/ticket after all expenses (busing, rent, security, etc), they would make around $290K for their 58K tickets, probably better than they would clear for a normal game at home.
I'm sure the NCAA doesn't really care how they make their D1 season avg to stay D1 (other than frowning on give-aways and ghost fans).
Not sure where you are getting those numbers. Busing isn't going to cost a lot. Do you think we are paying to bus everyone that buys a ticket or something? Also, we are going to sell tickets to students, faculty/staff, and season ticket holders first. So it is possible that the general public won't have many, if any, tickets left to buy. That is an incentive to the general public to become season ticket holders at UT, which helps UT even more.UNLV did a similar thing when they hosted Wisconsin a few years back. Wisconsin fans could not call the UNLV ticket office and buy tickets without becoming UNLV season ticket holders. Since season tickets for UNLV were not that bad considering the price Wisconsin fans are used to paying for Big Ten games, many Wisconsin fans bought UNLV season tickets which of course put extra money in the UNLV athletic department.As for the rent of CBS, it's not that bad at all. Something around $300,000. That includes staff and security. UT is going to make more money than you think.Toledo's been over the 15K average every year since the late 70's, so attendance isn't a problem at Toledo. We are always in the top 2 or 3 in the conference in attendance. We currently hold the record for the highest attended home game by a MAC school, in which we broke our own record. We are also the only MAC school to average over 30K for a season, and yes these were all games in the Glass Bowl.

Just saw on MidAmConf.com that Toledo is hosting Ohio State in Cleveland Browns stadium in 2009.  Isn't BGSU there in 2008?  What gives?!?!  I believe maintaining the psychological distinction between Akron and Cleveland is most vital to the identity of Akron athletics, but for BGSU and Toledo to host Big 10 schools in our "backyard" like that really seems like a slap in the face!
BGSU hosts Wisconsin there on September 2nd THIS year.I'm in the camp that says this is an OSU home game, no matter the structure of the payouts. There's just too many suckeye sheep in these parts for the UT fans to make a dent in the crowd.I'll probably do my part and don fear the roo gear and go root against the suckeyes for that game. I don't care whose game it is .. just hope the Rockets hand the Sucks their second MAC loss in 2 seasons when that game comes around.
Just wondering how you are planning on getting tickets? This isn't going to be like the BG/Wisconsin game. Tickets are going to be at a premium and hard to get unless you have ties to the UT program or have some serious ties to the OSU program.

Not sure where you are getting those numbers.
Mostly just SWAG. Not all tickets will be selling for the same price (at least that's usually how it works) so I figured there would have to be some low-cost student/faculty and the nose-bleed and end-zone sections that would bring the avg price down.

Ohio State isn't traveling to Cleveland and forfeiting a home date in a 100,000 seat stadium to take a 15k gate at $50.00 a pop. With no Columbus parking $$ or concessions. No F-ing way in hell. They need their football cash to fund their 20-something non-revenue sports. It would be suicide.At BEST, the gate will be split 50/50...and I doubt anyone at OSU would be stupid enough to do even that.

i thought the PD article said that UT got the gate but OSU gets a cut of consessions (remember they can sell beer there). OSU will not loose any money in this as they will still have 7 home games. it would be nice to work something like this out in the future... maybe with say PITT? just a thought :screwks:

i thought the PD article said that UT got the gate but OSU gets a cut of consessions (remember they can sell beer there). OSU will not loose any money in this as they will still have 7 home games. it would be nice to work something like this out in the future... maybe with say PITT? just a thought :screwks:
If the OSU AD took that stupid of a deal when he could have had a home game vs. ANYONE in his own 100,000 seat stadium, he should be fired on the spot.BTW: I was at the Can't / Toledo MAC Championship basketball game (Yes, as a Zips fan it sucked). One of the biggest cheers of the night came when the scoreboard first showed a guy in a Michigan Wolverine ball cap...then panned to a guy pointing to the OSU logo on his gay red OSU tee shirt. Toledo fans went cra-Zee!! As did the Can't fans. It made me sick. Point being: It will be the same when Toledo plays OSU in Cleveland. 85/15 split buckeye fans to Toledo fans. Even the Toledo fans will cheer when OSU scores. The Lemming factor will be proven (the ones that jump off cliffs, not Tom).

Just wondering how you are planning on getting tickets?  This isn't going to be like the BG/Wisconsin game.  Tickets are going to be at a premium and hard to get unless you have ties to the UT program or have some serious ties to the OSU program.
I've never had the experience of not being able to get a ticket to an event I wanted to attend. Rarely, if ever, have I even paid more than face value for a ticket, anywhere (suckeye games included). And I don't have serious ties with anyone but my wife and kid. I guess I'm just planning my usual tactics on this one. It'll work out ... always does.Go Rockets (in this game).

Just wondering how you are planning on getting tickets?  This isn't going to be like the BG/Wisconsin game.  Tickets are going to be at a premium and hard to get unless you have ties to the UT program or have some serious ties to the OSU program.
I've never had the experience of not being able to get a ticket to an event I wanted to attend. Rarely, if ever, have I even paid more than face value for a ticket, anywhere (suckeye games included). And I don't have serious ties with anyone but my wife and kid. I guess I'm just planning my usual tactics on this one. It'll work out ... always does.Go Rockets (in this game).
Have you ever tried to get tickets for an OSU game? Ohio State even has a waiting list for season tickets that usually you sit on for quite a few years before you get the opportunity to purchase them. This isn't going to be your average game where tickets will be easy to get.

Have you ever tried to get tickets for an OSU game? Ohio State even has a waiting list for season tickets that usually you sit on for quite a few years before you get the opportunity to purchase them. This isn't going to be your average game where tickets will be easy to get.
Why not just wait ten minutes before a game, find a scalper who has poor inventory control with about 25 tickets in his hand, offer him $25 each for a ticket and buy one? If you are willing to sit in a piss poor seat, you can get into any OSU game or any other game for a cheap price.In lieu of an OSU game, why not just buy season tickets to Akron (or whatever MAC school you are from), sit on the 50 yard line near the field and enjoy a good football game? Which reminds me, season ticket notices came in the mail today. Buy early, buy often......

Have you ever tried to get tickets for an OSU game?  Ohio State even has a waiting list for season tickets that usually you sit on for quite a few years before you get the opportunity to purchase them.  This isn't going to be your average game where tickets will be easy to get.
Why not just wait ten minutes before a game, find a scalper who has poor inventory control with about 25 tickets in his hand, offer him $25 each for a ticket and buy one? If you are willing to sit in a piss poor seat, you can get into any OSU game or any other game for a cheap price.In lieu of an OSU game, why not just buy season tickets to Akron (or whatever MAC school you are from), sit on the 50 yard line near the field and enjoy a good football game? Which reminds me, season ticket notices came in the mail today. Buy early, buy often......
I second GP's sentiments. What he said.Free public service translation from my post above: "suckeye game" = (is the same as) "OSU game"Regarding tickets .. and yes, even Columbus St. tickets .. I've tried to get them, and always get them .. at my price .. for big games also. The hard part is NEVER getting in the building .. it's holding down my lunch and beverages as 100k sheep practice spelling the 4 letter state name. Almost as entertaining as the identity crisis cheers at Penn St. :puke::john:

Have you ever tried to get tickets for an OSU game?  Ohio State even has a waiting list for season tickets that usually you sit on for quite a few years before you get the opportunity to purchase them.  This isn't going to be your average game where tickets will be easy to get.
I second GP's sentiments. What he said.Free public service translation from my post above: "suckeye game" = (is the same as) "OSU game"Regarding tickets .. and yes, even Columbus St. tickets .. I've tried to get them, and always get them .. at my price .. for big games also. The hard part is NEVER getting in the building .. it's holding down my lunch and beverages as 100k sheep practice spelling the 4 letter state name. Almost as entertaining as the identity crisis cheers at Penn St. :puke::john:
That's very interesting. I've never been to an Ohio State game, and never really wanted to go to one, so I don't have the first-hand experience. I just know OSU fans that have gone down to Columbus and tailgate, but never go to the games because the only tickets they could find were very high priced from scalpers.As for the season ticket thing, that is UT's hope that people buy season tickets to UT in order to be able to purchase tickets to the UT/OSU game at Cleveland. Tickets for that game won't be part of the regular season ticket package, but my point was that you would have to be a season ticket holder at UT in order to get tickets for the UT/OSU game in Cleveland if you don't want to pay a higher price through ebay or scalpers or something.Who knows, maybe your plan will work though.

That's very interesting. I've never been to an Ohio State game, and never really wanted to go to one, so I don't have the first-hand experience. I just know OSU fans that have gone down to Columbus and tailgate, but never go to the games because the only tickets they could find were very high priced from scalpers.As for the season ticket thing, that is UT's hope that people buy season tickets to UT in order to be able to purchase tickets to the UT/OSU game at Cleveland. Tickets for that game won't be part of the regular season ticket package, but my point was that you would have to be a season ticket holder at UT in order to get tickets for the UT/OSU game in Cleveland if you don't want to pay a higher price through ebay or scalpers or something.Who knows, maybe your plan will work though.
Thinking about the past, remember the year after the quitters when we got Purdue at the JAR? For pre sale tickets you had to buy a 4 or 6 game package in order to have the right to get tickets for this game. With about 2 weeks before the game, they removed that restriction. We got all of about 4K fans. And no freaking pep band, we had that old recording play the fight song. Give me Purdue this year at the JAR. We would light those guys up by 20.