Downtown Arena!

ZachTheZip

Easy sell: Make them sit on the JAR bleachers for several hours.

I like it !!...LOL

The problem is, the people we will have to rely on to go along with this, if "Plan A" is going to work, are people who have likely never stepped foot in Rhodes Arena, and may never step foot in the new one either.

"There isn't enough data available yet to understand the fine details of the proposed facility. But the limited data we have so far suggests that it's an 8,500-seat arena with the possibility to add 500 temporary seats. It doesn't say if those 500 temporary seats would be for basketball or for other events." DiG

My guess is the 500 are for basketball. Bobcats arena, or whatever they call it, in Charlotte has temp seating behind one basket they pull out for basketball games. They get pushed back for concerts so the stage can be placed in that area and the rest of the permanent seating can be maximized.

The most positive thing I see in this is the non binding nature of the agreement. Gives UofA flexibility if they can somehow come up with the money themselves and not have an agreement with the City of Akron or Summit County. I see the best long term outcome being UofA building their own arena and being able to support it themselves. I'd be willing to wait a few years longer to get this outcome than others that could turn into an 80 year mistake.

My guess is the 500 are for basketball. Bobcats arena, or whatever they call it, in Charlotte has temp seating behind one basket they pull out for basketball games. They get pushed back for concerts so the stage can be placed in that area and the rest of the permanent seating can be maximized.

That sounds good. I fear portable, moveable seats along court side that can be retracted for hockey.

I want no part of an arena that has a floor large enough for hockey. It would destroy the intimacy needed for basketball.

Frankly, like GP1, I would much prefer an on campus, University owned and controlled arena. I am NOT

willing to wait "several more" years. Do it now.

As far as the sales tax is concerned, can't see having to spend more money on essentials like clothing,vehicles, household articles etc etc that I need to buy every day so that part of the income from the tax can go to build an arena.

Yep,UofA needs a new one. Has for a long time. No question.But thats not the question. Hell,I sat on the bleachers at Memorial Hall. But unless the University puts some big 'skin' in the game up front its not up to the rest of us to pay for an athletic/activities facility that likely a huge percentage of of Summit County residents will never use or benefit from. And, a number of credible studies show that the economic benefit from sports facilities is usually quite exaggerated.

I have no problem using tax dollars that go to improving the safety forces of Summit County. That is a service that all residents need and benefit from. If the powers that be wanted to use a sales tax increase for that,fine, I'll go for it.

The politicians and University officials know that voters would never approve a tax that is dedicated only to building an arena. Thats why they threw it in with a tax for safety forces.

That sounds good. I fear portable, moveable seats along court side that can be retracted for hockey.

I want no part of an arena that has a floor large enough for hockey. It would destroy the intimacy needed for basketball.

Frankly, like GP1, I would much prefer an on campus, University owned and controlled arena. I am NOT

willing to wait "several more" years. Do it now.

The attached document linked to earlier in this thread shows the arena will not be used for hockey.

UofA basketball has thrived and should continue to do well under KD in the years to come. If it is going to take more than five years to get a deal done for UofA to have their new arena, then do a deal with the City/County. If not, wait it out.

The attached document linked to earlier in this thread shows the arena will not be used for hockey.

UofA basketball has thrived and should continue to do well under KD in the years to come. If it is going to take more than five years to get a deal done for UofA to have their new arena, then do a deal with the City/County. If not, wait it out.

I think patience might rule in this deal. I said from the start of these discussions a few years ago that we might be as much as 10 years away from getting anything done. Let me tell you what I know. The University PREFERS to have their own arena. Wait, let me put that another way...they WANT their own arena. They want to own their basketball facility. Just one problem...there's no way to pay for it in the near future.

Renderings would help; I'm assuming the South Main St would be the main entrance but would the playing surface be below, at or above street level to see if the powers that be have designed some space for commercial or retail tenants. I'd also suggest a presentation of revenue streams anticipated.

I'm from out of town and think it's feasible to turn the area into a destination for entertainment; meaning restaurants, bars, small shops and sports but some free or very cheap parking is a necessity. Would adding another parking garage to this project be worth the cost to build such a structure?

Are they planning on tearing down the building at the corner of Exchange and Main? I think its the Evans building.

No, they would be placing the arena between the Mayflower and Kaiser buildings. The only thing that isn't already parking lot in the current plan is the three building directly next to the Mayflower. Used to be a nightclub but are a bar & grille, a temp center, and what looks to be abandoned.

No, they would be placing the arena between the Mayflower and Kaiser buildings. The only thing that isn't already parking lot in the current plan is the three building directly next to the Mayflower. Used to be a nightclub but are a bar & grille, a temp center, and what looks to be abandoned.

Oh ok, I was wondering because the building I was referring to is in good shape and all the store fronts are currently in use.

I'm sitting here thinking about the possibility of a new arena this morning, as I see yet another news story displaying how disappointed Cuyahoga County's residents have become about the fact that they paid for sports complexes with self-voted, long term tax increases.

I'm sitting here thinking about the possibility of a new arena this morning, as I see yet another news story displaying how disappointed Cuyahoga County's residents have become about the fact that they paid for sports complexes with self-voted, long term tax increases.

Anyone disappointed is a narrow-minded idiot.

Anyone disappointed is a narrow-minded idiot.

Especially if you live outside of Cuyahoga County where the taxes don't really reach.

If the idea is a new arena will stimulate the downtown of Akron, there is zero evidence that in any city, the money brought in from stadiums exceeds the costs for construction and maintenance. Book after book has been written about this subject. It's happening now in Cleveland.

I think if people simply don't care whether or not a new basketball arena can be paid for, they should just say it. Now that I don't pay taxes in Ohio, I say build the arena and soak the future taxpayers of Ohio for the maintenance costs. Worse yet, go ahead and put the costs of maintenance on future students through student fees. They can take out a lifetime of loans to pay for Zips fans to watch basketball games.

If the idea is a new arena will stimulate the downtown of Akron, there is zero evidence that in any city, the money brought in from stadiums exceeds the costs for construction and maintenance. Book after book has been written about this subject. It's happening now in Cleveland.

Everyone time I read this stupid statement I cringe. The area of Cleveland where Quicken Loans and Progressive Field are was desolate and nothing was there with the exception of an Army Navy Surplus store. Do you remember what Prospect used to be known for....hookers in Cleveland. The area is now a full blown entertainment district with world renown restaurants. This argument has to stop...however they are using the statistics is obviously bullshit. Then let's talk about the actual tax dollars...the penny for every beer or wine ordered that goes to pay for it. Those taxes aren't breaking anyone. Those new stadiums spurred the growth of DT Cleveland to a point where they are now struggling to keep up with DT housing needs. DT Cleveland boasts a 95%+ occupancy rate for apartments with more coming online all the time.

I think the tax structure outlined as part of this argument is all wrong. I'd love to see a so called "sin tax" to pay for this too.

• Like 2

Everyone time I read this stupid statement I cringe. The area of Cleveland where Quicken Loans and Progressive Field are was desolate and nothing was there with the exception of an Army Navy Surplus store. Do you remember what Prospect used to be known for....hookers in Cleveland. The area is now a full blown entertainment district with world renown restaurants. This argument has to stop...however they are using the statistics is obviously bullshit. Then let's talk about the actual tax dollars...the penny for every beer or wine ordered that goes to pay for it. Those taxes aren't breaking anyone. Those new stadiums spurred the growth of DT Cleveland to a point where they are now struggling to keep up with DT housing needs. DT Cleveland boasts a 95%+ occupancy rate for apartments with more coming online all the time.

I think the tax structure outlined as part of this argument is all wrong. I'd love to see a so called "sin tax" to pay for this too.

Reps. I wouldn't expect GP1 to understand though, as he doesn't live in Ohio.

Those taxes aren't breaking anyone.

Maybe that's your opinion. But, there has to be some reason why Cuyahoga County residents float to surrounding counties to buy cigs and alcohol.

Let me give you another example: Numerous business reports over the years have raved about the enormous growth and success of the Belden Village area of N. Canton. Do you know what they cite as one of the major factors? Believe it or not, the .25% that people save in sales tax by making the trip down there from Summit Co.

And More: Many years ago the laws were changed about buying cars, whereby you paid the sales tax rate where you lived, rather than where the dealership was located. Why? Because people were traveling to buy cars in another county where the sales tax rate saved them a few bucks, and it was creating a competitive advantage.

So, get out of your fantasy world of thinking that people don't care about these kinds of things.

@Skip +1. Sales taxes also disproportionately affect poor/lower-middle/middle class people than they do anyone else. Because when you spend next to all of your personal income on services and items (which you pay sales tax on) you're paying more of your income on those taxes. It makes perfect sense why the good voters would hate sales tax.

Those new stadiums spurred the growth of DT Cleveland to a point where they are now struggling to keep up with DT housing needs. DT Cleveland boasts a 95%+ occupancy rate for apartments with more coming online all the time.

There was a lot more that went into downtown Cleveland's revival but yes, the arenas had a lot to do with it.

As a self interested zips fan living out of state, I fully support the new tax. :P