Downtown Arena!

ZachTheZip

15 minutes ago, tboned said:

Wasn't  one  of  our former  players, Reggie McAdams  working  on the re-design and  enhancement of the JAR?   Come on Reggie!!!!!!!!!!!

I recall an article where they talked about him working on some project as a part of his construction tech degree.

There has to be a way to ditch that damn track, improve the upstairs sight lines and  get rid of that stupid glass wall behind the reserved seats.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I recall an article where they talked about him working on some project as a part of his construction tech degree.

There has to be a way to ditch that damn track, improve the upstairs sight lines and  get rid of that stupid glass wall behind the reserved seats.

The biggest issue is those damn support poles in each corner. If there's a way to remove those without sacrificing the integrity of the structure, you could give the JAR a complete makeover. 

Get rid of the track. Move the upper level forward to connect with the lower level, making continuous sections all the way up. Add wrapped-corner seating in all 4 corners. Leave 2-3 openings in the middle of each side for walk ways, while putting the hallways behind the sections since you're moving the upper sections forward. 

• Like 1

I like it. Unfortunately the corner poles are load-bearing and cannot be eliminated. This architect was an idiot. Dr. Guezetta and the board of trustees were idiots for approving the architectual plans. I have felt for a long, long time that UA continually has incompetent boards of trustees. For Decades our problems, academic or athletic, continue to go back to their decisions.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I like it. Unfortunately the corner poles are load-bearing and cannot be eliminated. This architect was an idiot. Dr. Guezetta and the board of trustees were idiots for approving the architectual plans. I have felt for a long, long time that UA continually has incompetent boards of trustees. For Decades our problems, academic or athletic, continue to go back to their decisions.

Too often, those seats are political rewards.  As a result, you end up with people with agendas other than what's best for the school.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 4:36 PM, 72 Roo said:

I have felt for a long, long time that UA continually has incompetent boards of trustees. For Decades our problems, academic or athletic, continue to go back to their decisions.

Yes! What he said!!!

MASSIVE understatement. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Focusing not on RayQuawndis Mitchell (what a name, btw!), but on the picture below.  If we we're going to remove the track I though the JAR would look a lot like South Dakota State's arena.

Anyway, before I die, I pray to see a new downtown arena.  Not merely a re-designed JAR.

Edited by Blue & Gold

37 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Focusing not on RayQuawndis Mitchell (what a name, btw!), but on the picture below.  If we we're going to remove the track I though the JAR would look a lot like South Dakota State's arena.

Anyway, before I die, I pray to see a new downtown arena.  Not merely a re-designed JAR.

You mean the track is still there in the JAR? ?

It would be really close except we couldn't extend the end zone seating down to the floor.

• Like 1

I've been "working" Canton Charge games, and wondering why Akron never built a facility like the Canton Civic Center. 

It's not the most modern facility (60+ years old), not the biggest, but they get a LOT of use out of it. I've driven (through Akron) down there to watch indoor soccer, arena football, and now future Cavs. 

Why did Akron never build a similar facility? Maybe a bit bigger? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spin said:

I've been "working" Canton Charge games, and wondering why Akron never built a facility like the Canton Civic Center. 

It's not the most modern facility (60+ years old), not the biggest, but they get a LOT of use out of it. I've driven (through Akron) down there to watch indoor soccer, arena football, and now future Cavs. 

Why did Akron never build a similar facility? Maybe a bit bigger? 

I love the Civic Center.  Not pretty bu very functional.

The answer to your question is very simple-  no one wants to pay for it.

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Anything the Civic Center currently hosts can either be handled by the JAR or the John S Knight Center. 

The floor size of the JAR isn't big enough for a lot of arena events, a lower capacity version of the Wolstein Center would be perfect (although it did sell out for indoor soccer BITD). 

22 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

My dad used to take me to see professional wrestling at the Civic Center. Saw the Road Warriors and Macho Man there. Great times. One night we stayed late & were able to talk to Jake the Snake & Ted Dibiase (sp?) after almost everyone else had gone home.

Ooooh yeaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh Blue & Gold.

Glad to see there are others in here with my "cultured" background!

• 6 months later...