Malcolm Walters PG 2014 verbal

This is an excellent addition to Akron. The young man does some things that do not show up on stat sheets. He goes to the basket with authority and can finish. He seems to have no fear. I like that. Seems to be more of a combo guard. I think he played the point for St. Ed's.

Remember that he was a starter on the Division one state championship team. He knows how to win.

Also, he is quick. I am surprised that he was not offered by any low major or Div. 2 team. Perhaps he was. Darn glad to get him.

I am glad he is a walk on, but getting excited about a walk on is a stretch....

Dambrot needs to be able to start bringing in some impact recruits that can come in on day one and make a difference. Obviously not implying the entire class needs to be that way, but the majority of all Akron recruits take years to bear any fruit. We have gotten solid players, but if we keep reloading with just solid players, I don't see how this team gets over the hump.

Maybe that kid from Nevada could be that guy....but it would be nice to see one of these recruits just take over and make a huge impact day one.

I am glad he is a walk on, but getting excited about a walk on is a stretch....

Dambrot needs to be able to start bringing in some impact recruits that can come in on day one and make a difference. Obviously not implying the entire class needs to be that way, but the majority of all Akron recruits take years to bear any fruit. We have gotten solid players, but if we keep reloading with just solid players, I don't see how this team gets over the hump.

Maybe that kid from Nevada could be that guy....but it would be nice to see one of these recruits just take over and make a huge impact day one.

Isaiah Johnson started the final 11 games as a true freshman and played very well.

Jake Kretzer and Reggie McAdams were key contributors as true freshmen on a MAC Championship team.

Demetrius Treadwell played pretty well as a true freshman.

No huge impacts, but with talent and depth like the Zips have, it's not easy for a true freshman to make a significant impact in year one. I'm sure BJ Gladden would have started for a few MAC squads this year.

There hasn't been a walk on under Dambrot who's played even a slightly significant role on the Zips basketball team.

With our PG position as it is, it unfortunately wouldn't shock me if a walk on Freshman could see significant minutes.

I do like the kid from Houston. Even at 150 lbs, I'd pencil him in as the starter next year. He can pass, AND make an open lay up. That's good enough for me.

Daryl Roberts would disagree with this.

On a related note, if you believe his twitter feed, Noah Robotham's decision should be "coming soon". If you are looking for an immediate impact player at the PG spot he would probably be your best bet.

There hasn't been a walk on under Dambrot who's played even a slightly significant role on the Zips basketball team.

On a related note, if you believe his twitter feed, Noah Robotham's decision should be "coming soon". If you are looking for an immediate impact player at the PG spot he would probably be your best bet.

Beat me to it. Roberts was non-scholarship his first two years and was a huge contributor to the program.

Darryl Roberts brings back such wonderful memories to me. Remember when we used to talk about how important it was to have Darryl in the lineup and get the ball in his hands at the end of close games because he was a career 88.5% free throw shooter? Let me repeat that for new Zips fans who don't know what it's like to have a reliable free throw shooter. Darryl Roberts played in 133 games over 4 seasons and nailed 88.5% of his free throws, including a career best 94.4% in his senior season. Darryl was Mr. Reliable, and it was always nice to see his mother, Bridgette, cheering him on when she could make it over from Toledo to see her son play.

Wasn't Darryl Roberts a scholarship player who decided to quit? Then returned to the team after his scholarship was given to another player? That is a far cry from being a true walk on.

Jesus...I know the quality of posts on ZipsNatiion has eroded recently, but don't think everyone is stupid here.

Roberts was a scholarship player who screwed himself out of a scholarship. Tim Carroll was a great kid, but his contributions on the court were virtually nil.

Pick the level of good sports talk up here, people. Please.

Wasn't Darryl Roberts a scholarship player who decided to quit? Then returned to the team after his scholarship was given to another player? That is a far cry from being a true walk on.

Jesus...I know the quality of posts on ZipsNatiion has eroded recently, but don't think everyone is stupid here.

Roberts was a scholarship player who screwed himself out of a scholarship. Tim Carroll was a great kid, but his contributions on the court were virtually nil.

You wouldn't be so fast to cast stones if they just kept an attitude in practice and scrimmages stat.

• Like 1

This is accurate. Darryl Roberts was a 6-foot, 1st Team All-Ohio DI PG coming out of high school.

I'd love to have a Darryl Roberts on the team now.

Captain, I know you normally don't accept excuses, but I have a really good one. When I saw Darryl Roberts' name all I could think of was his superb free throw shooting. I blame this fixation on the trauma of the past season, which ultimately caused my eyes to involuntarily close every time a Zips player stepped to the free throw line. I humbly apologize for not getting past that to remind everyone that Darryl first came to UA as a scholarship player and not a walk-on.

But the condescending nature of your posts have certainly not eroded. That's pretty much all you provide to the discussions on this forum these days, which is sad because you offer good insight when you want to and are capable of so much more. Maybe you need to take your own advice?

You are correct on Roberts (personally I forgot about the details of his walk-on/scholarship status) but you can't just be correct, you have to throw it in people's faces. I'm not sure why, but it's not a good look.

I'll probably get warned or banned for this post but someone had to say it. Hopefully the overall discussion picks up here from everyone - it used to be one of my favorite sites to come to.

See you all at the Info in the fall.

UAZip0510, you're not going to get in any trouble for that post. ZN.o is all about role-playing. You pick the role you want to play and stick with it. Some like to be edgy while others prefer civility. When we try to push folks into roles they don't want to play, they push back just as we would if they tried that on us. It took me a long time to figure out that the best way to enjoy ZN.o is to tune out some of the exaggerated role-playing and just focus on hard content. It's interesting when you peel away some of the style that the amount of actual substance remaining varies quite a bit. But in the end it's all entertainment. No one posts on ZN.o to find a cure for cancer or advance the cause of world peace, so there's no reason to take any of this too seriously.

Not sure why you feel the need to attack me and other posters for the quality of our postings.

You pointed out that a walk-on hasn't made a contribution in the KD-era. I pointed out that Roberts was technically a walk-on (if you want to get into a debate about whether he was truly a walk-on or not that is a different issue) who made significant contributions in the KD-era. It is called point, counterpoint, and you should give it a try some time instead of taking unnecessary pot-shots at the credibility and value of other posters.

• Like 1