Akron's Men Soccer Attendance: Updated through 2013

There were 5 games with less than 2,000 during the regular season in the Post Caleb Porter era. I do not currently have the attendance numbers for Caleb Porter's first year to make a fair comparison, but those games were played in the old Lee Jackson Stadium with a smaller capacity.

Here's some numbers to look at:

10330300_675823539133587_141517788485774

10313319_675823619133579_582063483240566

10366009_675823742466900_393715143014317

It's a little discouraging to see those numbers...however I'm not sure that the improvement can really been improved upon. Many of the students who were part of those attendance highs and got to experience the National Runner-up and National Title years, have graduated. Those who were freshman that year just graduated, just think about that. The Rowdies also seem to have gone through a bit of a lull in leadership, making the game day experience less energetic for the new students.

I've noticed that today's Rowdies are not as rowdy as students (you didn't have to be a Rowdy to sit in the student sections) were in the 05-07 era. While a student, I never joined the Rowdies and tailgated for every football game with a group of 10-20 non-rowdies. We would drink and eat before each game and have a great time. We were that group that would send a random person up for crowd surfing pushups every time Akron scored. We used to make Zippy crowd surf as well. None of us were Rowdies but were very rowdy at games.

If the Rowdies have rules against drinking, don't bother with being a member. Just get a group of friends and have your own fun.

During our soccer tailgates the past few years, Rowdies were always no where to be seen (except for maybe 2 on rare occasions). The students need to drop the Monster/Redbulls and pick up a beer.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Saturday, vs BG, was one of weakest student crowds I've seen in a long time. The hill was sparse and families were spreading out blankets and lawn chairs on the peripheral. Usually students come out in full force to Friday and Saturday night games, but recently, their support has been lacking. In the Caleb era, he emphasized the importance of the student section and asked demanded that his teams were worthy of support and it was our job to be loud and to bring as many people to the games as possible. Obviously, Embick's personality is different.

Edited by chris

It's different times at UofA. I saw President Scarborough at 1 Zips Mens Soccer game ... Ohio State. He seems enamored with the Buckeyes and comparing Akron to tOSU. There is absolutely no marketing of our best team. UCLA came to town and I saw nothing. If anyone saw the AD or Prez in the stands for that matchup, I'd be interested because I never saw either of them.

Coach Embick's job is to coach and win games which I think he's been doing a damn good job. Winning games should help the AD do his job of filling the stands. Northeast Ohio has a gem in our Mens Soccer Team, and with the sports' growing popularity in the USA, our attendance numbers should be much better. That they are not is a BIG FAIL on the Administration's part. [They continue to throw good money after bad at the pathetic excuse of a D1 Football Program. They'll likely have to do that through 2018 (last year of Bowden's contract). If there's no improvement at that time, for how many more years does UA continue feeding the albatross? It's too bad they didn't flush that program in 1986 in favor of basketball.]

Yedlin in the Premier League and with the USMNT. Trapp and Serna with the U23's trying to qualify for the Olympics. Now Nagbe with the USMNT. Caleb Porter coaching the Portland Timbers and now in the MLS Western Conference Finals. Multiple Zips in MLS and lower tier professional leagues. An absolutely awesome 2015 Zips Mens Soccer Schedule. Holy Shit...what the Hell more do you need to market Zips Mens Soccer, which by the way, is a revenue-generating sport at UoA. COLOSSAL FAILURE of our AD.

Venting over, for now.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

professional leagues. An absolutely awesome 2015 Zips Mens Soccer Schedule. Holy Shit...what the Hell more do you need to market Zips Mens Soccer, which by the way, is a revenue-generating sport at UoA. COLOSSAL FAILURE of our AD.

Revenue generating?... You mean they generate some money but lose more?... I don't know the ins and outs, but I have a hard time believing that a team that avg 1800 fans last yr and 2100 this year generates revenue

They both generate revenue. They key word is profit.

Thank you. Revenue-generating (sells tickets) at Akron as opposed to free at other schools, such as W Michigan, Buffalo, etc

• Like 1

There is absolutely no marketing of our best team. UCLA came to town and I saw nothing. If anyone saw the AD or Prez in the stands for that matchup, I'd be interested because I never saw either of them.

I saw two different electronic billboards on freeways, in the week leading up to the UCLA game.

Edited by AyYo

Just for grins, I Googled Akron UCLA soccer here are the results

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=akron+ucla+soccer&tbm=nws&start=0

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbm=nws&q=akron+mens+soccer

No articles from the ABJ prior to the match. There were articles in California leading up to the match. http://dailybruin.com/2015/10/30/ucla-mens-soccer-to-face-familiar-playing-style-in-no-6-akron/

There was an article from the ABJ after we lost.

• Like 1

I would hope someone on Mr. Williams's staff is contacting the Beacon and elton Alexander at the PD every day this week....to get articles written in both papers before the MAC tournament starts.

This team has really worked hard and has played a killer schedule. They deserve the support of the university to get the word out about their fantastic achievements.

I know I keep beating a dead horse but why wouldn't the ABJ (the hometown paper) not publicize our greatest team. A team knocking on the door of another national championship. A team that hosted UCLA (which is a big draw). All-American candidates. Great soccer. I don't get it.

Agreed. If Canton McKinley's soccer team was still in the state playoffs there'd be a daily Sports Section front page story about them in the Canton Repository. Very strange disconnect with the ABJ.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1