The 2015 Football Commitment List

Looking a little closer at the Rivals rankings, the Zips' 12 listed recruits have an average rating of 2.33 stars. The next team ranked above the Zips that has a higher than 2.33 average recruit rating is #75 Illinois. So by average recruit rating the Zips rank #76. That would go even higher if transfers were factored in, as some were ranked with 3 and 4 stars out of HS. I don't think we need Rivals, 247Sports or any ranking service to tell us that Coach Bowden is bringing in higher level players and getting more out of them.

• Like 1

I will say Sir that I am a new fan of UA and have a bit of skin in the game as my son is a 2015 commit. As I was looking at prior signing classes vs the Bowden signing classes (not rivals but looking at the highlite films).

As I believe you may have said, highlite films are mostly plays against lower competition and completely agree.... It is my opinion that the guys in the 2014 class appear to be more athletic than the past few years.

Just my opinion, so I was curious to know from you veteran UA fans what your thoughts are

My opinion is that once rivals, scout, 247 and the others get past the top 25 team rankings there isn't much effort put into it. But again, one guys opinion only

• Like 1

Looking a little closer at the Rivals rankings, the Zips' 12 listed recruits have an average rating of 2.33 stars. The next team ranked above the Zips that has a higher than 2.33 average recruit rating is #75 Illinois. So by average recruit rating the Zips rank #76. That would go even higher if transfers were factored in, as some were ranked with 3 and 4 stars out of HS. I don't think we need Rivals, 247Sports or any ranking service to tell us that Coach Bowden is bringing in higher level players and getting more out of them.

I agree, compared to our past recruiting classes, we have stepped it up a notch. Unfortunately, compared to other schools, not so much.

Whatever you do don't look at Scout.com where our 2014 class is ranked 128 out of 128.

Zipmeister, you keep monitoring those ranking services on a daily basis and let us know if there's any change. We all trust your interpretations. :lol:

Now, now DIG – satire does not become you.

I think you may just be upset because Balsy beat you to the insightful statistical analysis contained in the edit to his post of 5:58 pm yesterday.

You guys believe that our 2014 class is under-ranked because the rating services failed to factor in a couple of transfers from other schools. Do you believe Akron is the only D1 team that does this?

The rating services may not be perfect, but they strongly suggest that relative to other teams our 2014 class is not nearly as good as you think.

If you really want to look at rankings you need to look at the composite not just 1 site.

Rankings are based on stars and numbers.

Example a 25 man class of all 3* would be ranked higher than a 15 man class of all 4-5*.

I would take the 15 man class every day of the week. Quantity means nothing if they are less talented.

Coaches don't look at star rankings. They look at who fits their system best.

When you are Alabama or Auburn you buy, I mean recruit, the best talent that fits your system. The guys Bama gets are always highly rated and often get bumped after they commit to Bama.

If you really want to look at rankings you need to look at the composite not just 1 site.

So if we take the composite of the three services mentioned so far in this thread that puts Zip's 2014 class as the 116 best. Does using a composite really help make the case that our 2014 class is underrated?

Rankings are based on stars and numbers.

So what would you use instead, astrological signs and favorite foods? Seriously, what objective factors do you recommend?

Example a 25 man class of all 3* would be ranked higher than a 15 man class of all 4-5*.

I would take the 15 man class every day of the week. Quantity means nothing if they are less talented.

Over which of the two teams in your example would you prefer a smaller class composed mostly of 2 stars?

Coaches don't look at star rankings. They look at who fits their system best.

Duh, they all do that? Then how does that support the argument that our class is underrated?

When you are Alabama or Auburn you buy, I mean recruit, the best talent that fits your system. The guys Bama gets are always highly rated and often get bumped after they commit to Bama.

Sometimes life just isn't fair. I say let's coach up the players we've got and beat some of the teams that out-recruited us. We have the staff to accomplish that.

I like his attitude. Seems like he is putting himself in a position to succeed.

"I just have faith in the Zips, plus I like the way the coaches treat me and I know it's a nice environment"

Dixon, an athletic two-way player who sees time at both defensive back and wide receiver for Hagerty, said he wasn't concerned what position he plays in college, just that he's playing.

"I think I can get on the field early because I am determined and I am a hard worker,"

"They like me just as a playmaker and they like my speed."

"He (coach Bowden) made me feel very welcome and he said all of the right things to make me feel comfortable with the program,"

"I want to get bigger and stronger this year and continue my academics (3.2 gpa)."

• 1 month later...